Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #134380
View in threaded mode

Subject: "dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves " Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Jun-22-11 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#134380, "dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "

Sorry for the size of the file (in deminsions, not file size it's only 330k)

This past Saturday I went to Dynotech tuning to get my car dynoed. My friend and fellow DSMer opened the shop a few months ago and (shameless plug ahead) does mods and tuning of turbo DSMs, EVOs, and other cars.

Allright on to the runs, I did 3 runs. The dyno used was an AWD Mustang dyno, set up for 2WD of course. The runs were corrected to SAE standard conditions for temperature, pressure, and humidity. I think it was 2-3HP lower with the "raw" numbers as it was a little warm that day, but not some large amount off due to the correction factors. There was about a 15 minute wait in between runs, and the car started off well warmed up to begin with.

The first was on the stock ECU. I got 148hp and 116 lb*ft of torque. The curve on the top end (6200+ rpms) was a little rough compared to the next runs.

The second run I swapped in an AFX ECU. I know it is supposed to give more power if it runs for a while instead of "reset" like it was so the numbers may be a little low for the ECU, but this was the best I could do with the car strapped down and limited time. This second run the HP was 151, torque 118 lb*ft, and the HP curve at 6200 and above looked a little smoother. With the AFX ECU the curves were a little higher (2-4hp, 2 lb*ft) everywhere in the RPM range, not just at peak or only in a narrow range.

The image for the 3rd and best run was below. I gave another run on the AFX (assuming it might do a little better) and the numbers increased slightly to 152hp and 119 (rounded off) lb*ft of torque. If the ECU is allowed to run the car for a longer period of time I am guessing another HP or two should be possible.

The torque curve is pretty flat and doesn't start to drop off until 6500rpms, and even then not drastically. The HP curve climbs until just about 7000rpms and then doesn't drop off all that much. Overall a rather encouraging curve, peaks much higher than stock. It's good to see the ECU doing something. Also, I think this proves a higher red line would allow me to see more gains. I don't know exactly what this means for crank HP as it is a different dyno then most people use and gives different numbers.

The mods on the car (for power) are as follows:

Cold air intake, 60mm throttle body, extrude honed intake manifold, mild-moderate headwork, 3 angle valve job (supposed to be a very good 3 angle job) with stainless steel valves (stock size), crower valve springs, titanium retainers, crower stage 2 cams, 4 to 1 stainless steel header (rather short runners on it), 2.5 inch high flow cat, muffler from a GS-T eclipse, AFX underdrive pulley, and depending on the run above an AFX ECU.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
ModeratortekleinJun-22-11 06:58 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#134381, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 0

Hell yeah!

Congrats. You are in third for the DD camp

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickJun-22-11 07:32 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#134382, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by teklein
Hell yeah! Congrats. You are in third for the DD camp

And hes not even squirting! AFX control, which is more impressive looking at his times. This man can drive.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

FotowntalonJun-22-11 09:38 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
#134386, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 2

I am trying really hard to say congrats, but I really just want to cus you out. This is bullshit within a year I have gone from 2nd in the DD whp school to 4th, what the hell!

Also, why do both you and colby have such low torque? This puzzles me... Screw all three of you and I hope you guys can sleep well at night know I am going more into debt just to re-dyno and get back my crown!

p.s. Congrats, nice numbers

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

740 turbo brickJun-22-11 09:43 PM
831 posts,
#134387, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
I am trying really hard to say congrats, but I really just want to cus you out. This is bullshit within a year I have gone from 2nd in the DD whp school to 4th, what the hell! Also, why do both you and colby have such low torque? This puzzles me... Screw all three of you and I hope you guys can sleep well at night know I am going more into debt just to re-dyno and get back my crown! p.s. Congrats, nice numbers

I wondered the exact same thing. Your numbers were close, my numbers are quite a ways away from each other. Bulletts are too, 218 and 175. Wish my car had more torque....

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

740 turbo brickJun-22-11 09:50 PM
831 posts,
#134388, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 4

Also, cheer up, because so far you are the only one of us besides bullett ( that I know of) thats broken the 14s barrier.

Hows the order go?

Bullett 218
Teklein 170
740 Turbo Brick 167
VX100 152
Fotown Talon 148

Next that I can find is Warmage12 with 117.

Either way bud, you seem to be doing something Im not, beating me to 14s.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

420agreenvilleSCJun-22-11 11:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#134389, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Also, cheer up, because so far you are the only one of us besides bullett ( that I know of) thats broken the 14s barrier. Hows the order go?
Bullett 218
Teklein 170
740 Turbo Brick 167
VX100 152
Fotown Talon 148
mikey 133

Next that I can find is Warmage12 with 117. Either way bud, you seem to be doing something Im not, beating me to 14s.

fixed lol jk

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-23-11 12:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#134393, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 6

Sweet numbers Todd and you're correct, the AFX numbers will continue to climb as it adjusts. Excellent that you went SAE corrected. Level playing field using SAE correction. Yeah, the torque does make me go a little "huh?" Probably higher comp would help that along.

Originally posted by 740 turbo brickHows the order go? Bullett 219.4 Teklein 170 740 Turbo Brick 167 VX100 152 Fotown Talon 148 mikey 133

Meh, just to be more accurate. It was such a little difference i didn't change it. I mean it wasn't over the 220whp, lol.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratorVX100Jun-23-11 09:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#134407, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks very much guys. As to why the torque numbers are low, I can't be sure. Maybe because the power curve is biased to not drop off in the high rpms? Either way it's decent HP.

As for SAE correction, my friend who owns the shop always uses the correction factors, and if he didn't I would have asked him to do so. Correcting to standard conditions just maks sense as you should try to get as accurate a number as possible, not fudge them higher.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Slo2gJun-24-11 04:57 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#134408, "RE: dynoed car, 152hp/119 lbs*ft torque, nice curves "
In response to Reply # 8

Those are some hella nice numbers, esp for a fresh reset on the ecu. I would imagine, just as you have, that you would pick up a couple more whp and probably a good bit of wtq from it leaning things out...

Mikey is just being funny about his 133whp because thats what his car made on 6 psi a couple of years ago....no joke, I'm not being a smart ass! I also had to put mine in there in last so far it seems, that was on a stock intake manifold, v2 intake, ebay header, ebay 2.5" exhaust, AFX udp, stock ecu for what its worth. Now enough clogging Todd's thread up, congrats Todd, can't wait to see some even fast times out of you
Originally posted by 740 turbo brickHows the order go? Bullett 219.4 Teklein 170 740 Turbo Brick 167 VX100 152 Fotown Talon 148 Slo2g 121 ]

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #134380 Previous topic | Next topic