Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133717
View in linear mode

Subject: "favorite break in lubes?" Previous topic | Next topic
streetlightningApr-06-11 08:18 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133717, "favorite break in lubes?"

about to grab some break in lube, what do you guys use/recommend? do i need something special for the cams? i knwo they dont require a break in period, but id imagine since its a fresh head, and brand new cams, it would be nice to use some sort of lube other then an oil coating?

as far as where the lube goes, pack in the oil pump, and lube the cam jounrals correct?
my valve guides also have some assymbly lube from the shop when they installed them.
filter is 3.4 full of oil, and of course oil in the pan ; ) then turn it over a few times without spark?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: favorite break in lubes?, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-06-11 09:03 AM, #1
RE: favorite break in lubes?, streetlightning, Apr-06-11 09:07 AM, #2
      RE: favorite break in lubes?, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-06-11 09:08 AM, #3
           RE: favorite break in lubes?, streetlightning, Apr-06-11 09:14 AM, #4
                RE: favorite break in lubes?, 420agreenvilleSC, Apr-06-11 09:51 AM, #5
                RE: favorite break in lubes?, Wes Tank, Apr-06-11 11:03 AM, #6
                     RE: favorite break in lubes?, streetlightning, Apr-06-11 11:37 AM, #7
                          RE: favorite break in lubes?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-06-11 01:48 PM, #8
                               RE: favorite break in lubes?, Moderatorteklein, Apr-06-11 02:12 PM, #9
                                    RE: favorite break in lubes?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-06-11 02:25 PM, #10
                                         RE: favorite break in lubes?, ez, Apr-08-11 07:42 PM, #11
                                              RE: favorite break in lubes?, eclipserstturbo, Apr-09-11 09:44 PM, #12

AdministratorCODE4Apr-06-11 09:03 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133718, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you asking about assembly lube? Or something to put in the crankcase for first startup? Just fill it with oil to spec, crank for oil pressure for verification, then fire her up.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

streetlightningApr-06-11 09:07 AM
778 posts,
#133719, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 1

i guess more along the lines of assembly lube. more specifically the cams, ive read some use an assembly lube on them for first start, others dont..

AdministratorCODE4Apr-06-11 09:08 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#133720, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 2

So take it with a grain of salt. Always refer to manufacture specs and see what is called for. If you want assembly lube, grab a tube from your local parts store.

---

2012 2500HD LML

streetlightningApr-06-11 09:14 AM
778 posts,
#133721, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 3

sounds good, just wanted to be extra careful with the new crower's and , well the whole engine..

420agreenvilleSCApr-06-11 09:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#133722, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 4

I've bought one tube (about 16oz.?) Of white assembly lube from napa about 4-5 yrs ago. Several longblocks later, I still have a ton left. Of course, your oil will reflect the color of the lube upon its first or second oil change. Kinda groovy seeing tan colored breakin oil drain lol

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Wes TankApr-06-11 11:03 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#133725, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 4

I just put Crower 2's in and they come with Crower assembly lube. Look in your box, it should be in there.

streetlightningApr-06-11 11:37 AM
778 posts,
#133728, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 6

i got mine new, but second hand.. no lube.. : (

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-06-11 01:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#133731, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 7

White moly is what I have used for years.......

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratortekleinApr-06-11 02:12 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#133732, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 8

I use Royal Purple assembly lube.

But I am also a Royal Purple whore...

RoninEclipse2GApr-06-11 02:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133733, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 9

I usually grab a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer when I'm putting an engine or head together.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ezApr-08-11 07:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#133765, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 10

I just use whatever generic lube NAPA has in stock, haven't had any issues.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

eclipserstturboApr-09-11 09:44 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#133781, "RE: favorite break in lubes?"
In response to Reply # 11

Lucas Semi-Synthetic assembly lube. I have no idea if it's any better than anything else... but it works.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133717 Previous topic | Next topic