Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133299
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car wont start with key..... wth..!?" Previous topic | Next topic
CyexmasterMar-05-11 05:08 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
324 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133299, "Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"

Well as if there was a list of small problems to fill and to make me go mad. My car has yet found another thing to get my nerves going...

I was going to change a tire friday and got out of college and all good went to the tire shop, changed the tire and when I get in the car....

The damn thing wont start! no nothing I turn the key and not even that tired starter noise when you have low battery it just does nothing. Checked the batt and it's good, starter didnt have any problems before and doesnt make any sound at all when starting. Could you guys at least point me in a direction of where to start and follow cause this is getting on my nerves..... not to mention de P/S belt poping of every time I make a light pull....

Status- Need to do break-in...

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-05-11 05:20 AM, #1
RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, 740 turbo brick, Mar-05-11 09:49 AM, #2
      RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-05-11 12:23 PM, #3
           RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-05-11 01:51 PM, #4
                RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Ebster1085, Mar-05-11 02:41 PM, #5
                     RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-05-11 07:05 PM, #6
                          RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Ebster1085, Mar-07-11 10:49 AM, #7
                               RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-07-11 11:50 AM, #8
                               RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, 420agreenvilleSC, Mar-07-11 03:54 PM, #9
                               RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Cyexmaster, Mar-07-11 04:15 PM, #10
                                    RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-07-11 06:47 PM, #11
                                    RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-07-11 06:54 PM, #12
                                         RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-07-11 10:11 PM, #13
                                              RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Cyexmaster, Mar-08-11 09:51 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-08-11 10:23 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-08-11 01:04 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-08-11 01:19 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Cyexmaster, Mar-08-11 02:10 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, AdministratorCODE4, Mar-08-11 02:12 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-08-11 10:19 PM, #21
                                                                            RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Ebster1085, Mar-09-11 12:03 PM, #22
                                                                                 RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-09-11 01:29 PM, #23
                                                                  RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, 740 turbo brick, Mar-08-11 02:56 PM, #20
                                                                       RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-09-11 02:37 PM, #24
                                    RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, valdeelrico, Mar-22-11 07:49 PM, #25
                               RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, valdeelrico, Mar-23-11 05:41 PM, #26
                                    RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Ebster1085, Mar-29-11 11:08 AM, #27
                                         RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, valdeelrico, Mar-29-11 11:28 AM, #28
                                              RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-29-11 12:31 PM, #29
                                                   RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, valdeelrico, Mar-29-11 12:42 PM, #30
                                                        RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Ebster1085, Mar-29-11 04:07 PM, #31
                                                             RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, itsaslow95, Mar-29-11 04:34 PM, #32
                                                             RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, valdeelrico, Mar-29-11 05:10 PM, #33
                                                                  RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?, Ebster1085, Mar-29-11 08:48 PM, #34

AdministratorCODE4Mar-05-11 05:20 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133300, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 0

Relays, wiring, ignition switch, etc. Did you have the battery load tested or did you just check the voltage. Did you test the starter?

Easy problem, just be methodical. Same with any no crank situation on any car.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickMar-05-11 09:49 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#133301, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by CODE4
Relays, wiring, ignition switch, etc. Did you have the battery load tested or did you just check the voltage. Did you test the starter? Easy problem, just be methodical. Same with any no crank situation on any car.

When this happened to me it was the battery cables, more specifically the positive one. I actually looked at it twice and didnt notice. You know the little shim in between the cable and the post on most stock terminals for 2gs? Mine had corrosion thick as clay between the terminal and the shim allowing no connection to be made.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-05-11 12:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#133302, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 2

Push your clutch pedal down!

You already got good direction, so I thought I'd post up a wiseass answer, lol.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

RoninEclipse2GMar-05-11 01:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133303, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mar-05-11 01:52 PM by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Push your clutch pedal down! You already got good direction, so I thought I'd post up a wiseass answer, lol.

Actually that's what I was thinking too. Check the clutch switch. the plunger might have jammed.
#82110 in this pic.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Ebster1085Mar-05-11 02:41 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#133304, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-05-11 03:24 PM by Ebster1085

Funny..I was just going to make a similar post because I am having the same issue and I am getting pissed. Pushing the car off a cliff and collecting insurance is sounding better and better. So sick of this piece of shit.

So yea, battery has voltage, and when I turn the key to the start position I hear the fuel pump prime, as well as all the others bells and whistles. Go to crank it and get nothing. No turnover at all.

This happened once or twice in the past and all I did was fumble around with the wires that go to the starter and eventually it would start up. I have done that, as well as remove all starter connections and clean all terminals with a wire brush, remove both battery cables and clean them as well, and remove and thoroughly clean both grounds at the tranny and the strut tower. Also took a look at the little plunger for the clutch pedal and it looks fine and is operating normally. Still getting nothing.

Any other ideas?

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

itsaslow95Mar-05-11 07:05 PM
Member since Oct 17th 2009
139 posts,
#133314, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 5

put key into ON position and jumper batt power to signal terminal on starter.. it should crank, if it does see if it will start that way, then it's something in the starter wiring circuit, which is relatively small. if it doesn't look for spark while its cranking, if its not sparking then check for 5V at ckp sensor, if there isnt any its in the ecu somewhere.(dosent mean its the ecu, just the ecu isnt seeing something it needs to so start looking at saftey switches)

-Jason

---------------------------------------
most posts are done from my iPhone please excuse my typos

95 eclipse gs turbo - parting out
2004- dodge dakota
2006 lancer with a fancy wing and really expensive brakes.

~Naturally Aspirated then Pressurized~
Streetworksautomotivetuning.com <~ best friend's shop SUPPORT HIM!

Ebster1085Mar-07-11 10:49 AM
531 posts,
#133324, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 6

Tried to jump start it and got nothing. Also, the starter is getting voltage. At this point I am assuming my starter is bad.

Before I go out and get a new one, anything else it could possibly be?

itsaslow95Mar-07-11 11:50 AM
139 posts,
#133327, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 7

If u jumped the starter terminals and it has source voltage and it did not crank, check your main engine ground. If that's good starter
Is bad

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

420agreenvilleSCMar-07-11 03:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#133329, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 8

1. why do i feel as though i will be a victim of this issue in the near future...
2. jess, did u just hijack cye's thread..?

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

CyexmasterMar-07-11 04:15 PM
324 posts,
#133331, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 8

Car has new symptom.... it starts sometimes like normal and sometimes it dosen't do anything....

Try not to challenge me, I'd rather tie up than lose. Either way you NEVER WIN.... - Me..

itsaslow95Mar-07-11 06:47 PM
139 posts,
#133333, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 10

Check cables for internal corrosion

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

RoninEclipse2GMar-07-11 06:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133334, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by itsaslow95
Check cables for internal corrosion

This.

I've seen it a thousand times where even though cables and connectors were clean but the second you cut into the cables they were corroded all to hell. The cheap wire that Mitsu used in our cars doesn't help either.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

itsaslow95Mar-07-11 10:11 PM
139 posts,
#133337, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
The cheap wire that Mitsu used in our cars doesn't help either.

**gasp!** Mitsubishi cheap out on us?!?! Never.

=]

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

CyexmasterMar-08-11 09:51 AM
324 posts,
#133342, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 13

which wire do I check?

itsaslow95Mar-08-11 10:23 AM
139 posts,
#133343, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 14

Power wire from starter to batt.
Ground wire from trans bell housing to batt

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-08-11 01:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#133344, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 15

I had a similar problem on mine for years and eventually narrowed it down to the ignition switch itself, so I installed my own push button starter. Problem solved.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

itsaslow95Mar-08-11 01:19 PM
139 posts,
#133345, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 16

No keys - push to start.

Uh huh you know what it is
Black and yellow
Black and yellow
Black and yellow

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

CyexmasterMar-08-11 02:10 PM
324 posts,
#133347, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 17

So I should just take them out and replace them cause I don't see how would I check all the wire for inside corrosion without completly hacking it up?

AdministratorCODE4Mar-08-11 02:12 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#133348, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 18

A. Cut away at the insulation near the terminals to inspect for corrosion. If good, heat shrink/wrap the cable.

B. If shitty, replace.

C. Replace regardless since cables are cheap.

---

2012 2500HD LML

itsaslow95Mar-08-11 10:19 PM
139 posts,
#133352, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by CODE4
C. Replace regardless since cables are cheap.

+466474

You can NEVER have too many ground straps :

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

Ebster1085Mar-09-11 12:03 PM
531 posts,
#133353, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 21

Yea, I did see some hints of corrosion on the exposed parts of the grounds but it didnt look too alarming. Obviously all of that was wire brushed off.

This weekend I will cut away some of the shrouding and take a better look at the condition of the grounds.

If they look like shit, what gauge wire do you recommend I purchase to replace it with?

RoninEclipse2GMar-09-11 01:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133354, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 22

4 gauge wire. The pathetic 6 gauge that they put in the car is a joke.

Erik P.

740 turbo brickMar-08-11 02:56 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#133349, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by itsaslow95
No keys - push to start. Uh huh you know what it is Black and yellow Black and yellow Black and yellow

Roflcopters

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

itsaslow95Mar-09-11 02:37 PM
139 posts,
#133355, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 20

Be a man 0 gauge all the way!!!

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

valdeelricoMar-22-11 07:49 PM
Member since Mar 06th 2009
41 posts,
#133453, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by Cyexmaster
Car has new symptom.... it starts sometimes like normal and sometimes it dosen't do anything....

ok owned a 95 talon esi. Same symptoms check your asd relay right next to the fuel relay near the top or the firewall. Drivers side I think. Just replace them both.

valdeelricoMar-23-11 05:41 PM
41 posts,
#133466, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Ebster1085
Tried to jump start it and got nothing. Also, the starter is getting voltage. At this point I am assuming my starter is bad. Before I go out and get a new one, anything else it could possibly be?

asd relay under the hood, drivers side, on the firewall. I think is you have a 5spd there are 2 relays and 3 if you have an automatic.

Ebster1085Mar-29-11 11:08 AM
531 posts,
#133546, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 26

Ok, no one laugh..turned out to be a bad battery. Even though it had a charge, alarm still worked, fuel pump primed, all lights and beeps went off with key in start position, I guess it didn't have enough to turn the car over. Got a new battery, and the car is back in action.

Thanks D and Locke for pointing out the obvious in chat earlier today.

valdeelricoMar-29-11 11:28 AM
41 posts,
#133547, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 27

Ok, no one laugh..turned out to be a bad battery. Even though it had a charge, alarm still worked, fuel pump primed, all lights and beeps went off with key in start position, I guess it didn't have enough to turn the car over. Got a new battery, and the car is back in action. Thanks D and Locke for pointing out the obvious in chat earlier today.

you are something else.

itsaslow95Mar-29-11 12:31 PM
139 posts,
#133549, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 28

27 posts for a fried battery haha. Atleast you got it and helped us all exercise our brains. Win win situation =]

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

valdeelricoMar-29-11 12:42 PM
41 posts,
#133550, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 29

I'd feel like a winner if he'd change out those relays anyways.lol!

Ebster1085Mar-29-11 04:07 PM
531 posts,
#133551, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 30

Haha! To my defense, I didn't start this post, just jumped on it.

From what I have read, and from talking to other members, ASD relay has nothing to do with the starter. It is simply linked into spark and fuel for startup.

itsaslow95Mar-29-11 04:34 PM
139 posts,
#133553, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 31
Mar-29-11 04:35 PM by itsaslow95

In my defense I didn't originally buy the eclipse I just jumped in it later =]

-Jason

2004- dodge dakota

valdeelricoMar-29-11 05:10 PM
41 posts,
#133554, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 31

Haha! To my defense, I didn't start this post, just jumped on it. From what I have read, and from talking to other members, ASD relay has nothing to do with the starter. It is simply linked into spark and fuel for startup.

I'll take my loss and live to suggest another day. Happy you've got it running.

Ebster1085Mar-29-11 08:48 PM
531 posts,
#133555, "RE: Car wont start with key..... wth..!?"
In response to Reply # 33

Thanks dude, me too

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133299 Previous topic | Next topic