Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132483
View in linear mode

Subject: "exhaust manifold heat relief" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCNov-29-10 05:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132483, "exhaust manifold heat relief"
Nov-29-10 05:45 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

I've found several threads on this topic, all good reading. They all address relief cuts and how they're good, but they don't answer a couple questions I have...

I have a star knockoff. It's a one piece solid CAST IRON design (no individual runners). This is the 2nd and last time i'll be surfacing and doing this. I'll be cutting reliefs, using antisieze on studs/nuts/lock washers, and copper silicone on the gasket.

1. Is there a reason why relief cuts are sometimes found along the middle of bolt holes rather than between runners?
2. Since my mani is one solid piece, does it really matter where the relief cuts actually are? (some are VERTICAL between the ports, others are DIAGONAL or some other way). In other words, does orientation matter?

most of you know what a hahn mani looks like but for reference...

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-29-10 05:57 PM, #1
RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, VendorRed90Sev, Nov-29-10 10:36 PM, #2
      RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-30-10 08:02 AM, #3
           RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-30-10 06:45 PM, #4
                RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-30-10 09:23 PM, #5
                     RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, Moderatorteklein, Dec-01-10 05:55 AM, #6
                     RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-03-10 05:33 PM, #7
                          RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-03-10 05:38 PM, #8
                               RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-03-10 05:43 PM, #9
                                    RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-04-10 12:48 AM, #10
                                    RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, VendorRed90Sev, Dec-05-10 02:56 AM, #11
                     RE: exhaust manifold heat relief, ModeratorCorbin, Dec-07-10 08:12 PM, #12

AdministratorCODE4Nov-29-10 05:57 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132484, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 0

I would assume that as long as there is room for expansion between the runners, the relief cuts will serve their purpose. I do not think that the orientation is as critical, but again I have not scientific data to back this up.

FWIW, I run a treadstone log without any cuts and I have not had any issues with blowing out the gasket yet.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

VendorRed90SevNov-29-10 10:36 PM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
#132486, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 1

I've been considering switching to that exact type of manifold from my Hahn so I can use an external wga, what's the hole on the t3 flange for? Or is that tapped for egt or something? I haven't seen that before.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-30-10 08:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#132487, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Red90Sev
I've been considering switching to that exact type of manifold from my Hahn so I can use an external wga, what's the hole on the t3 flange for? Or is that tapped for egt or something? I haven't seen that before.

Probably for his EGT probe.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-30-10 06:45 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#132493, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 3

I have run a Star without Cuts and I run a 16" Tubular equal length without cuts and no issues of gasket leaks. Over time any flange will warp even the ones that are individual flanges for each pipe.

420agreenvilleSCNov-30-10 09:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132494, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 4

yes, that hole is threaded for the EGT probe. Ok, i understand, now, the final question, to cut or not to cut....

i'm seriously just debating on leaving it uncut and just getting it plained

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratortekleinDec-01-10 05:55 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#132495, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
yes, that hole is threaded for the EGT probe. Ok, i understand, now, the final question, to cut or not to cut.... i'm seriously just debating on leaving it uncut and just getting it plained

Yeah, you should definitely have it "plained".

RoninEclipse2GDec-03-10 05:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#132546, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC yes, that hole is threaded for the EGT probe. Ok, i understand, now, the final question, to cut or not to cut.... i'm seriously just debating on leaving it uncut and just getting it plained
Yeah, you should definitely have it "plained".

Maybe even planed?

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-03-10 05:38 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#132547, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 7

Just put a 1/8 bead of high temp silicone on the gasket and install it. Make sure your tightening the nuts on the studs otherwise its never going to stop being a pain in the ass.

The superbee headers flanges are warped as most all are after 12 years of service and they seal with that method fine. Just putting them on with new gaskets they leak like a dirty snatch with the clap!

RoninEclipse2GDec-03-10 05:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#132548, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 8

A good thick spraying with copper gasket spray works pretty well too.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

420agreenvilleSCDec-04-10 12:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#132553, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 9

fo shooo. i'll be doin all the aforementioned above.

VendorRed90SevDec-05-10 02:56 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
#132559, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
A good thick spraying with copper gasket spray works pretty well too.

I live by Permatex Copper Gasket Spray. Four Builds and have had nothing but good results.

ModeratorCorbinDec-07-10 08:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#132575, "RE: exhaust manifold heat relief"
In response to Reply # 5

No one has mentioned it yet, but the coeficient of thermal expansion for stainless steel is almost twice that of cast iron and steel. The HRC manifold is cast stainless steel (original HRC was welded from stainless steel parts). Reliefs would be helpful here. The Star manifold and knock-offs are cast iron. Reliefs are less important here.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132483 Previous topic | Next topic