Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #126729
View in threaded mode

Subject: "Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
DJ420aJul-21-09 08:32 PM
Member since May 19th 2004
1219 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126729, "Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"

Hey guys, been a long time.

I'm getting things together too finally build the motor I fried.

I just need too know the difference. Isn't the only way too tell is the piston tops? DOHC has 4 cut outs and the SOHC has 2 or 3?

Got a buddy with a perfect block, but he cant remember which it is.

Thanks guys

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
420agreenvilleSCJul-21-09 09:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#126730, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-21-09 09:27 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by DJ420a Isn't the only way too tell is the piston tops? DOHC has 4 cut outs and the SOHC has 2 or 3?

that's one way. SOHC have no valve reliefs, the DOHC however, does.

don't know off hand the rest of the differences, but, here, this'll help: http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Neon_Engine? <- i'm not sure why the '?' is left off of the URL, but when you click on it, you'll notice that it's not there. Put it there, and the link will work.

good to see you again.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Jul-21-09 09:52 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#126732, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 1

Not sure of any piston that has 3 valve reliefs...

:p

---

2012 2500HD LML

DJ420aJul-22-09 03:52 AM
1219 posts,
#126736, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by CODE4
Not sure of any piston that has 3 valve reliefs... :p

LOL, I was takin a guess

ModeratortekleinJul-22-09 05:34 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#126737, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-22-09 05:39 AM by teklein

If you use a SOHC bottom end, with our DOHC head your compression will be around 9.2ish IIRC.

Just like you can put DOHC pistons in a SOHC motor and net 10.2ish IIRC.

Other than that, they are pretty much the same. 2003+ SOHC Neon blocks use something called NGC, and the crank wont work with the way our PCM reads crank position.

Best best it to stay away from 2000+, unless you find a 2001-2002 Magnum SOHC bottom end. They have 9.8CR, which would net 9.4ish on the bottom end with our DOHC head. But, they come with a anti-friction coating from the factory.

Also, if you have a 95 SOHC Neon block, it has a different PCV system that vents directly from the crank case.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-22-09 12:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#126738, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by teklein
2003+ SOHC Neon blocks use something called NGC

Next gen Controller, iirc. It's a completely different trigger wheel, something akin to a 60-2, like the SRT-4.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ModeratortekleinJul-22-09 01:08 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#126740, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by teklein 2003+ SOHC Neon blocks use something called NGC
Next gen Controller, iirc. It's a completely different trigger wheel, something akin to a 60-2, like the SRT-4.

Yep!

It also, from what I have read about it, keeps the A/Fs at a near perfect 14.7. However, I have also heard that it negates most of the gains made by bolt ons.

RoninEclipse2GJul-22-09 04:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#126742, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by teklein 2003+ SOHC Neon blocks use something called NGC
Yep! It also, from what I have read about it, keeps the A/Fs at a near perfect 14.7. However, I have also heard that it negates most of the gains made by bolt ons.

Not surprising. It seems like every manufacturer nowdays is doing everything they can to prevent us from having fun.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

DJ420aJul-22-09 07:30 PM
1219 posts,
#126743, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-22-09 07:31 PM by DJ420a

So hate to repeat, but just too be clear, I could use a complete SOHC block as long as I stay away from 95's and 00+'s?

Only downfall is lower compression.

dalesmitsuJul-22-09 10:14 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#126744, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-22-09 10:16 PM by dalesmitsu

Originally posted by DJ420a
So hate to repeat, but just too be clear, I could use a complete SOHC block as long as I stay away from 95's and 00+'s? Only downfall is lower compression.

Tek, said to stay away from the 2000's + unless you find a 01-02 Magnum Sohc bottom end.

95-96 you have to notch the block for the bearings.

ModeratorbullettdsmJul-23-09 04:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#126748, "RE: Diff between a complete DOHC and SOHC block?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
95-96 you have to notch the block for the bearings.

Or just buy the correct bearings from partsdinosaur.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #126729 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic