Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #122246
View in linear mode

Subject: "95 eclipse won't Start.....Help" Previous topic | Next topic
sickboyFeb-06-06 01:26 PM
Member since Feb 06th 2006
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122246, "95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"

HI everyone i am new to this group i just bought a 95 eclipse gs
i have a Problem with it. The car won't start it turns over just won't start i rep;aced the coil pack and check it again but i checked the spark too and it seems like cyc 1&4 have a weak spark anyone ever have something like this happen before? Help .....Just help will be greatfully appreciated

Thanks
Brian
95 eclipse Gs
92 eclipse Gsx (r.i.p)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, SILVERNT, Feb-06-06 01:55 PM, #1
RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-06-06 06:17 PM, #2
      RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, sickboy, Feb-06-06 07:22 PM, #3
           RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, EclipseSix, Feb-06-06 08:10 PM, #4
                RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, 96rs-t, Feb-06-06 09:01 PM, #5
                     RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-07-06 02:41 AM, #6
                          RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, thedawg, Feb-07-06 04:33 AM, #7
                               RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-07-06 05:52 AM, #8
                                    RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, ForceFed420a, Feb-07-06 06:58 AM, #9
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-07-06 07:06 AM, #10
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, ForceFed420a, Feb-07-06 07:13 AM, #11
                                              RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-07-06 07:16 AM, #12
                                                   RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, ForceFed420a, Feb-07-06 07:24 AM, #13
                                                        RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, EclipseSix, Feb-07-06 07:41 AM, #14
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, sickboy, Feb-07-06 10:59 AM, #15
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-07-06 06:53 PM, #16
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, ForceFed420a, Feb-08-06 01:57 AM, #17
                                              RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, JVStylez, Feb-08-06 03:53 AM, #18
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-08-06 05:40 AM, #19
                                              RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, sickboy, Feb-10-06 03:45 PM, #20
                                                   RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, .bs0d, Feb-10-06 06:13 PM, #21
                                         RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, sickboy, Feb-16-06 08:45 AM, #22
                                              RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, thedawg, Feb-16-06 09:01 AM, #23
                                                   RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, sickboy, Feb-17-06 08:44 AM, #24
                                                        RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, ForceFed420a, Feb-19-06 02:40 PM, #25
                                                        RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help, saikou, Feb-19-06 02:45 PM, #26

SILVERNTFeb-06-06 01:55 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122247, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 0

this may sound stupid, but maybe the battery is low

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JVStylezFeb-06-06 06:17 PM
Member since Jan 20th 2006
64 posts,
#122248, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 1

Hahaha yeah what he said. Or if that does not work, a new starter should do it. But like he said, check the batt first, if thats the problem, hit yourself in the head a couple of times with a 2x4 for us jk

- JV

sickboyFeb-06-06 07:22 PM
10 posts,
#122249, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 2

ya its funny that the car turns over as in the starter turns the car over and it just cranks and cranks just won't fire up ....... You get what i am saying STARTER IS FINE AND BATTERY IS FINE

EclipseSixFeb-06-06 08:10 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#122250, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by sickboy
ya its funny that the car turns over as in the starter turns the car over and it just cranks and cranks just won't fire up ....... You get what i am saying STARTER IS FINE AND BATTERY IS FINE

lol at the use of caps, anyways I had this problem less than a month ago, fuel pump was shot replaced it and its been (nearly) fine ever since. Occasionally refuses to start on the first try, but almost always on the 2nd. I figure I need to replace plugs and wires and all that fun stuff if i want it to start on the 1st try every time.

96rs-tFeb-06-06 09:01 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#122251, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 4

if it's cranking, it's not the battery. You may not be getting enough spark, since you said two cylinders aren't showing strength in their spark. If you are getting spark, check your timing belt.

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

JVStylezFeb-07-06 02:41 AM
64 posts,
#122252, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 5

Tbelt missing 1 tooth. Replace TBelt, if not, check fuel filter, that usually helps.

- JV

thedawgFeb-07-06 04:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#122253, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 6

95's have a known problem with their ECUs. The telltale sign it's going bad is if it spontaneously shuts down, and after a few minutes or hours starts back up again like nothings wrong.

Swap it out with a known good one.

JVStylezFeb-07-06 05:52 AM
64 posts,
#122254, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 7

Mine only has the problem were when its been off for awhile it takes 3 cranks to start the thing. When the cars been on for awhile it turns on the first time. ECU related, but try replacing your fuel filter, I havent so that might be the problem. Nothing big to worry about really, just hope that the car dosent turn off in the middle of a train track when the train is underway and the car dosent turn on, then you would be in a world of s... yeah you get my point lol.

- JV

ForceFed420aFeb-07-06 06:58 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#122255, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 8
Feb-07-06 07:09 AM by ForceFed420a

Originally posted by JVStylez
Mine only has the problem were when its been off for awhile it takes 3 cranks to start the thing. When the cars been on for awhile it turns on the first time. ECU related

The reason your car doesn't immediately fire on the first try when it's cold has nothing to do with the ECU, and it's not a problem. It's because the fuel has partially drained back to the tank after a day or two of sitting. Try priming the fuel pump a couple times when the car's been sitting. It'll fire immediately.

Now, onto the original poster's question. You have to have three things to make the engine run. Spark, fuel and compression.

You said you're getting spark although two cylinders are weak. I believe you said 1+4 are weak. This is a possibility with the wasted spark design as 1 and 4 are "partner" cylinders. The computer fires these as a pair, then fires 3+2 as a pair. I'm suspicious of this. The spark could be getting snuffed out on two cylinders, and it won't run on two cylinders. (Trust me) Check the connection to your coil pack You'll notice there are three wires. One is a ground and the other two are for the two banks of plugs. Is a wire in rough shape, disconnected? Also check around the EGR tube (underneath the throttle body, goes into the back of the intake manifold), since it gets very hot and could have melted some wires, a known problem. Check very carefully. Also, if you're getting spark it should rule out the ASD relay and cam/crank sensors.

Fuel? The easiest way to check this would be to crank it and then pull the spark plugs. Smell them. Gas? Good. No gas? Good-since you found your problem. No gas = fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel pump sock, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator or kinked/blocked fuel line.

Timing--Have you pulled the inspection cover from the timing belt to make sure it's turning? Timing is the most difficult to check, since it involves more than just pulling spark plugs. Go here if you have both fuel and spark.

It could be a lot of things. If you have fuel and spark, you could also check compression since that's easy. I know it's not on a warm motor (which it's supposed to be done), but you could check for dead cylinders even if it's cold.

We need some more info to help focus on a particular part, hope this helps solve your problem.

Brian

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

JVStylezFeb-07-06 07:06 AM
64 posts,
#122256, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 9

Hmm thats odd. Ill try to replace the fuel pump and see how it goes. If not, any other idea why its doing that?

- JV

ForceFed420aFeb-07-06 07:13 AM
620 posts,
#122257, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 10

Hmm thats odd. Ill try to replace the fuel pump and see how it goes. If not, any other idea why its doing that?

No no, the fuel pump is probably fine. PRIME it, which means when you get in the car after it's been sitting for a while (at least a day) turn the key to the position where everything lights up (run position) but don't start it. You should hear a whining sound from the back. That the fuel pump priming the system. Try that a couple times.

Then kick it on. It might take a turn over or two, but remember, the cylinders are cold as well, so just let it take it's time.

Were you talking about 3 times the motor turned over, or three seperate cranking "sessions".

Brian

JVStylezFeb-07-06 07:16 AM
64 posts,
#122258, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 11

3 cranking sessions. My motor does not shut off like his, once mine is up and running it stays like that.

- JV

ForceFed420aFeb-07-06 07:24 AM
620 posts,
#122259, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 12

3 cranking sessions. My motor does not shut off like his, once mine is up and running it stays like that.

Ahh, gotcha. Try priming it, see what happens.

Brian

EclipseSixFeb-07-06 07:41 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#122260, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by ForceFed420a
Originally posted by JVStylez 3 cranking sessions. My motor does not shut off like his, once mine is up and running it stays like that.
Ahh, gotcha. Try priming it, see what happens. Brian

I'll try that too, since occasionally after its been sitting for a bit it does take a few crank sessions to get it to start. Is there any more permanent solution to this?

sickboyFeb-07-06 10:59 AM
10 posts,
#122261, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 9

ok when i turn the car over i can smell gas which means its getting gas... we just well my brother just put in a new cooil pack and plugs but i am wondering mybe its junk already..i am goning to take it off and redo it my self... But it was so weird because least weak i was driving it and it was fine and the next morning hope in the car it just cranks and cranks no fire ...its so weird it probally somthing stupid...

thnaks
Brian

Originally posted by ForceFed420a
Originally posted by JVStylez Mine only has the problem were when its been off for awhile it takes 3 cranks to start the thing. When the cars been on for awhile it turns on the first time. ECU related
The reason your car doesn't immediately fire on the first try when it's cold has nothing to do with the ECU, and it's not a problem. It's because the fuel has partially drained back to the tank after a day or two of sitting. Try priming the fuel pump a couple times when the car's been sitting. It'll fire immediately. Now, onto the original poster's question. You have to have three things to make the engine run. Spark, fuel and compression. You said you're getting spark although two cylinders are weak. I believe you said 1+4 are weak. This is a possibility with the wasted spark design as 1 and 4 are "partner" cylinders. The computer fires these as a pair, then fires 3+2 as a pair. I'm suspicious of this. The spark could be getting snuffed out on two cylinders, and it won't run on two cylinders. (Trust me) Check the connection to your coil pack You'll notice there are three wires. One is a ground and the other two are for the two banks of plugs. Is a wire in rough shape, disconnected? Also check around the EGR tube (underneath the throttle body, goes into the back of the intake manifold), since it gets very hot and could have melted some wires, a known problem. Check very carefully. Also, if you're getting spark it should rule out the ASD relay and cam/crank sensors. Fuel? The easiest way to check this would be to crank it and then pull the spark plugs. Smell them. Gas? Good. No gas? Good-since you found your problem. No gas = fuel pump relay, fuel pump, fuel pump sock, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator or kinked/blocked fuel line. Timing--Have you pulled the inspection cover from the timing belt to make sure it's turning? Timing is the most difficult to check, since it involves more than just pulling spark plugs. Go here if you have both fuel and spark. It could be a lot of things. If you have fuel and spark, you could also check compression since that's easy. I know it's not on a warm motor (which it's supposed to be done), but you could check for dead cylinders even if it's cold. We need some more info to help focus on a particular part, hope this helps solve your problem. Brian

JVStylezFeb-07-06 06:53 PM
64 posts,
#122262, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 15

I had a friend run accorss this problem. He replaced the fuel pump, filter and injectors and he never ran accorss that problem again. But yeah the best would be ur filter first, then the pump, then injectors. BTW priming it 2 times worked for me so yah

- JV

ForceFed420aFeb-08-06 01:57 AM
620 posts,
#122263, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 16
Feb-08-06 01:58 AM by ForceFed420a

BTW priming it 2 times worked for me so yah

Cool

Brian

JVStylezFeb-08-06 03:53 AM
64 posts,
#122264, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 17

Yeah, I was like, Holy sh.... he is god. Hahaha, but yeah I need to get that fuel pump changed once I fix the grenaded differential lol.

- JV

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-08-06 05:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#122265, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 15

ok when i turn the car over i can smell gas which means its getting gas... we just well my brother just put in a new cooil pack and plugs but i am wondering mybe its junk already..i am goning to take it off and redo it my self... But it was so weird because least weak i was driving it and it was fine and the next morning hope in the car it just cranks and cranks no fire ...its so weird it probally somthing stupid...

Try a known good ECU.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

sickboyFeb-10-06 03:45 PM
10 posts,
#122266, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 19

Anything else i should look at ?

.bs0dFeb-10-06 06:13 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#122267, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 20

i'd check the ASD and Fuel Pump relays...

sickboyFeb-16-06 08:45 AM
10 posts,
#122268, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 9

ok so today it was nice out so i decided to do a compression test on my eclipse Gs CYL 1(90)2(90)3(65)4(80) i think this is why is isn't starting anything else i should look at ?

thedawgFeb-16-06 09:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#122269, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 22

You did the compression test wrong, and you still haven't replaced your ECU.

sickboyFeb-17-06 08:44 AM
10 posts,
#122270, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 23

i did the compression test 3 times and the way the instruction said to do it and it read the same everytime i just find it odd the every cyclander is that low also will a 98 gs ecu fit in my 95 ?

ForceFed420aFeb-19-06 02:40 PM
620 posts,
#122271, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 24

So you have fuel, and you have spark (albeit weak)

The results of the compression test are low. I know it's on a cold motor, but still, they're low.

I don't want to say you did it wrong....but....how did you do it?

If they're all universally low, I'd start looking at the timing.

Brian

saikouFeb-19-06 02:45 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2005
454 posts,
#122272, "RE: 95 eclipse won't Start.....Help"
In response to Reply # 24

will a 98 gs ecu fit in my 95 ?

Nope.
However, you could match up all the wires from the 95 ECU to work with the 98 pinouts. Too much trouble if you ask me.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #122246 Previous topic | Next topic