Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #95445
View in linear mode

Subject: "timing belt kit..." Previous topic | Next topic
95Eclipse302Jan-01-06 06:56 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2006
245 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95445, "timing belt kit..."

I am looking for a tmiing belt kit for my 1995 NON TURBO eclipse...

Problem is, everyone I see is for 1990-1994 non turbo or 1995-2000 turbo....none for 1995 non turbo...anyone kno if the 94 kit will work?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: timing belt kit..., RxR_Eclipse, Jan-01-06 07:19 PM, #1
RE: timing belt kit..., boosted60trimrst, Jan-01-06 08:23 PM, #2
      RE: timing belt kit..., greygoose, Jan-01-06 08:39 PM, #3
           RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 05:06 AM, #4
                RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 05:08 AM, #5
                     RE: timing belt kit..., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-02-06 05:45 AM, #6
                          RE: timing belt kit..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-02-06 05:59 AM, #7
                               RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 06:12 AM, #8
                               RE: timing belt kit..., greygoose, Jan-02-06 06:15 AM, #9
                                    RE: timing belt kit..., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-02-06 10:45 AM, #10
                                         RE: timing belt kit..., eclpsmoneypit95, Jan-02-06 11:17 AM, #11
                                         RE: timing belt kit..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-02-06 11:25 AM, #12
                                              RE: timing belt kit..., 95Eclipse302, Jan-02-06 05:55 PM, #13
                                              RE: timing belt kit..., greygoose, Jan-02-06 08:54 PM, #14
                                              RE: timing belt kit..., Moderatorbullettdsm, Jan-03-06 09:11 AM, #15

RxR_EclipseJan-01-06 07:19 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#95446, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 95Eclipse302
I am looking for a tmiing belt kit for my 1995 NON TURBO eclipse... Problem is, everyone I see is for 1990-1994 non turbo or 1995-2000 turbo....none for 1995 non turbo...anyone kno if the 94 kit will work?

They don't sell 'kits' as far as i know...and the 94 model eclipse does not have the same engine as you so no it won't work. You should try calling napa maybe and asking for a timing belt for a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse non turbo...or perhaps call a mechanic near you and have them do the work...

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

boosted60trimrstJan-01-06 08:23 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#95447, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 1

get it on ebay

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

greygooseJan-01-06 08:39 PM
Member since Dec 11th 2005
274 posts,
#95448, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 2

www.partsdinosaur.com

You'll need:

the belt
the idlers
headgasket
head bolts
waterpump (depending on mileage)

and alot of free time, a nice set of tools, beer, and a radio. oh yea...be sure to bring some patience along.

95Eclipse302Jan-02-06 05:06 AM
245 posts,
#95449, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah I checked on ebay but no kits for my car...Ill do the work myself...just never worked on eclipse Im sure its not to bad, I rebuilt two neons and they are very similar...

95Eclipse302Jan-02-06 05:08 AM
245 posts,
#95450, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 4

and why would I need a headgasket...lol or are you saying replace it as a precaution or something?

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-02-06 05:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#95451, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 5

partsdinosaur.com definitely. Good prices, great shipping, great guy. And I'm not sure why the headgasket either. Maybe he knows something you don't
MB

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-02-06 05:59 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#95453, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 6

The headgasket is a known problem if you still have the factory gasket installed. Both of you need to search that one, there is a lot of good info regarding it.

Partsdinosaur has a Timing "kit" for under 150.00 which is the cheapest you will find anywhere.

95Eclipse302Jan-02-06 06:12 AM
245 posts,
#95454, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah I already got that together thats a nice site for waht I needed...now
will I just need the bearings for the tensioner and idler? ALso Should I go with the hydralic kit? If I do how much harder to put that one on?

greygooseJan-02-06 06:15 AM
274 posts,
#95455, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
The headgasket is a known problem if you still have the factory gasket installed. Both of you need to search that one, there is a lot of good info regarding it. Partsdinosaur has a Timing "kit" for under 150.00 which is the cheapest you will find anywhere.

When you have everything dismantled you'd be doing yourself a great injustice not to go ahead and replace the headgasket. Like Terry mentioned Bruce carries all the parts you'll need and sends you a copy of the installation instructions for any of the parts you buy from him. Goodluck on your install but be sure to take your time and do it right.

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-02-06 10:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#95457, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 9

Sorry guys, I can't agree with that one. My headgasket on my AWD made 120k before someone through a rod on it. My 97 rs made 140 before the headgasket went. That was never standard practice on the Vdub rabbits. I can see doing a clutch if your throw out bearing goes, but pulling the head when you do a timing belt job, naw I'll wait until it goes before I pop the head.
MB

eclpsmoneypit95Jan-02-06 11:17 AM
Member since Mar 09th 2005
371 posts,
#95458, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Sorry guys, I can't agree with that one. My headgasket on my AWD made 120k before someone through a rod on it. My 97 rs made 140 before the headgasket went. That was never standard practice on the Vdub rabbits. I can see doing a clutch if your throw out bearing goes, but pulling the head when you do a timing belt job, naw I'll wait until it goes before I pop the head. MB

What if it goes one week after you replace the timing belt/components? You'd probably be kicking yourself in the ass. $35 for a gasket is a small price to pay compared to having to do it all over again, dont you think?

That blue car got me boobies once

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-02-06 11:25 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#95459, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 10
Jan-02-06 11:30 AM by Star Turbo Talon

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Sorry guys, I can't agree with that one. My headgasket on my AWD made 120k before someone through a rod on it. My 97 rs made 140 before the headgasket went. That was never standard practice on the Vdub rabbits. I can see doing a clutch if your throw out bearing goes, but pulling the head when you do a timing belt job, naw I'll wait until it goes before I pop the head. MB

Who cares about rabbits and AWD, this is 2gnt.

You obviously know nothing about the DSM you own. Have you searched. Obviously not and dont bring up your AWD since it is made by mitsubishi it shares nothing in common with the 420a.

Most people dont even know their headgasket was leaking. Our Headgaskets dont blow per se. They begin to leak oil behind cylinder #4. All you need to do is shine a light up from the bottom and lay on your back and look. Our headgaskets are not a problem with the headgasket but rather a problem with the headbolt length. I suggest you read more rather than contributing to the misinformed information that is out there.

I have had to replace my 96 at 76k, my 97 at 115k and my other 97 was done at 120k.

95Eclipse302Jan-02-06 05:55 PM
245 posts,
#95469, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 12

Well I got the car picked up today...IT HAS A NEW BELT ON IT...well looks like it...timing was dead on at the cam gears....belt had no cracks, it has blue writing on top and hasnt begun to fade at all....it didnt shake any today...I think it is a sensor only does its metime...it was running perfect today...

greygooseJan-02-06 08:54 PM
274 posts,
#95473, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 13
Jan-02-06 08:55 PM by greygoose

Terry/David,
I like the way you guys think.

Guys I'm not gonna steer you in the wrong direction. When I give you a helpful hint I'm usually speaking from experience or the general consensus. Trust me, it sucks to do pretty much the same job twice within a months time not to mention the fact it is time consuming. When youve got her apart sew her back up the right way. =)

In replacing the headgasket part of the timing parts must be removed to take the head off, so it is best to do it all at once. Depending on your mileage the waterpump is a good idea too. Goodluck in the long run.

ModeratorbullettdsmJan-03-06 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#95487, "RE: timing belt kit..."
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Originally posted by bullettdsm Sorry guys, I can't agree with that one. My headgasket on my AWD made 120k before someone through a rod on it. My 97 rs made 140 before the headgasket went. That was never standard practice on the Vdub rabbits. I can see doing a clutch if your throw out bearing goes, but pulling the head when you do a timing belt job, naw I'll wait until it goes before I pop the head. MB
Who cares about rabbits and AWD, this is 2gnt. You obviously know nothing about the DSM you own. Have you searched. Obviously not and dont bring up your AWD since it is made by mitsubishi it shares nothing in common with the 420a. Most people dont even know their headgasket was leaking. Our Headgaskets dont blow per se. They begin to leak oil behind cylinder #4. All you need to do is shine a light up from the bottom and lay on your back and look. Our headgaskets are not a problem with the headgasket but rather a problem with the headbolt length. I suggest you read more rather than contributing to the misinformed information that is out there. I have had to replace my 96 at 76k, my 97 at 115k and my other 97 was done at 120k.
\
Ah yes, the friendly 2gnt. If you dare to disagree you know nothing about your car and your a dork or whatever.

Well first off they do have "kits" for the timing components. As a matter of fact partsdinosaur carries one. Now in these kits I have yet to see a headgasket or headstuds as one of the components. Why, because generally a timing belt change is just that, a timing belt change. I can understand the concept of "while you're there". The waterpump certainly fits that description. But what you're telling that new to 420a's guy (he only has 8 posts with a real new join date) is that he has to also do a headgasket. You have no information on if it has been done, how many miles are on the car, what has been done to the engine etc. Now in real honest time you have just extended his install about 3-4 more hours. Chances are he does not have pneumatic tools or a lift (most of the guys I help out around here have pretty much just their basic hand tools. BUT they do have an eagerness to learn and aren't afraid of turning a wrench, which works for me). He may have never even done a headgasket. This can certainly steer him away from doing it himself. I was under the impression that these forums were there to help people who wanted to do it themselves as well as extend the interest of the car in general.

Terry, don't get me wrong, I can understand bringing up the issues of the headgaskets so that they can make their own decisions (and yes I am fully aware of the headstud situation, of which I have searched in the past as well as many other things. I do use the search button on the sites quite a bit. Then I make my own INFORMED decision) but doing a timing belt is one thing, doing a headgasket, for many, is very daunting.

As for your HG replacement numbers I'm a little confused. Shouldn't your HG have been done on the two 97s that you own? Maybe you didn't own them at the time but let's say the timing belt was done between 60 to 70k. That means that you got 45 to 55k out of one and 50 to 60k out of the other. To someone who is just learning the car that would be a lot of miles to gain confidence in their ability to attack the HG (IF they needed to do it). That's at least a couple more years of driving.

And yes, my HG on the 420a blew in spectacular fashion. I was James bond 007 going down the road for a few miles. Nothing but smoke screen (that was right after I put the stock parts back on for emissions). Now, I can see doing the timing belt then, when you already have it off to get to the head. That would be doing it while you're there.

I know you are going to look at this as some aggressive, I'll show you kind of thing. It's definitely not. I'm more weary than anything by seeing someone have a different opinion, explain his position and then be attacked for it. Silly me.

As for the dreaded "spreading misinformation charge", I did not. I just stated that they do have a choice of waiting to do their HG if they so choose. I gave real experiences and real numbers.

And here comes the smoke.....

MB

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #95445 Previous topic | Next topic