Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #9129
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some Eclipse Performance Tips" Previous topic | Next topic
1FastEclipseNov-29-01 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9129, "Some Eclipse Performance Tips"

Hi. I just bought a 1996 Eclipse RS and I want more power! HeHe. I don't have a ton of money to play with so what kind of upgrades are out there that would give me more speed at a low cost? I seen I can make a cold air intake out of PVC pipe, would it be better to buy a factory made one? Also I seen a modification that can be made to the air box by drilling holes in it. Should I do that or just get a cold air intake? Thanks alot. This site is helping me out greatly!

~Chris~

What kind of cars does a Eclipse compare to in speed? Mustang, Civic, Celica, etc.

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

LoudEclipseNov-29-01 07:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1758 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9130, "RE: Some Eclipse Performance Tips"
In response to Reply # 0

============================================================

wo0t!
============================================================
Save your money and buy a turbo kit, best bang for your buck

wo0t

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSNov-29-01 07:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#9131, "RE: Some Eclipse Performance Tips"
In response to Reply # 1

Ive done both the drilled airbox and the PVC pipe intake and the PVC intake definitely makes more power, but of course an aftermarket intake like one from AEM or iceman will make more power

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

optimuspetersonNov-29-01 07:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
#9132, "RE: Some Eclipse Performance Tips"
In response to Reply # 2

save money for boost

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Teameclipse804Nov-29-01 08:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#9133, "RE: Some Eclipse Performance Tips"
In response to Reply # 1

>Save your money and buy a turbo kit, best bang for your buck
>
>
>wo0t

That is...unless it goes bang! Then you gotta spend another 3k rebuilding your motor...

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

ModeratorVX100Nov-29-01 08:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#9134, "RE: Some Eclipse Performance Tips"
In response to Reply # 0

short list of cheap performance mods, if you're on a real budget

cold air intake, see if you can get a used one (it's just a tube, so why not?) a new iceman CAI is something like $180 or so.

underdrive pulley, it's only $160 with belts from AFX

muffler from a GS-T (has to be from a GS-T to bolt on, otherwise it will have to be welded), buy it used, don't pay more than $50

rims, if you can find them get used 3rd gen RX-7 rims, you should be able to get them now, WITH TIRES, for about $500. Check the parts trader (www.thepartstrader.com) you can usually find them there, but I've heard they are starting to get harder to find. they are wide and very light rims!

shocks, if you want better shocks and are REALLY on a budget, get shocks from a GS-T, they are a little stiffer, will fit perfectly, and should be DIRT cheap if you get them used, otherwise you can get KYB GR2 shocks new, $200-$250 for all 4 (hey, cheaper than adjustables at about $400 for all 4, but I think adjustable shocks are worth it)

For anything you can buy for your car, see if you can get stuff on group buys to save money. (group buy saved me about $60 on my not so useful headers) Buy stuff used that doesn't really wear out (CAI, for instance) or stuff it doesn't make sense to get new (like the GS-T muffler), and if you have friends or know someone who has a used piece of equipment in very good condition, pick it up for a bargain. I got an Apexi ITC for ALOT less than new and in excellent condition from another new england DSM club member.

All of these are very effective, despite the low price. I always try to get good, effective mods for less (just check my mod list below, it's got some of the mods I've listed!)

hope that helps

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #9129 Previous topic | Next topic