Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #62692
View in linear mode

Subject: ""that" camshaft noise, "that" other noise..." Previous topic | Next topic
robinjNov-06-03 12:08 PM
Member since Apr 12th 2003
81 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62692, ""that" camshaft noise, "that" other noise..."

that noise that sounds like a knocking/rattling noise under the valve cover... I thought it might've been the lifters, but the sound's the same if the engine is ice cold or hot. anyways, should I get that noise (normally) with crane #12s? also, what could cause a FF-ff-ff noise at the head of the engine? I'm starting to wonder if something's not right after the cams were installed and had ~800 miles to settle in. that tiny door piece on the timing belt cover has to be left off, otherwise my fidanza gears are whacking it... that was a dreadful noise.

anyways, input on what these noises are would be appreciated.

- robin

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE:, siueclipse, Nov-07-03 04:20 AM, #1
RE:, 95greenhrcgs, Nov-07-03 06:16 PM, #2
      RE:, robinj, Nov-07-03 06:42 PM, #3
           RE:, ConceptIllusions, Sep-13-04 08:03 PM, #4
                RE:, cougar694u, Sep-14-04 08:57 AM, #5
RE: "that" camshaft noise, "that" other noise..., TeamMetalJim, Sep-14-04 07:23 PM, #6

siueclipseNov-07-03 04:20 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2002
3504 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62709, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 0

is the head built at all?

with my setup, i have upgraded valves and springs, but not lashers or cams. since the lashers aren't upgraded they make a slight knocking noise because they are trying to keep up with the other upgraded parts.

james

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

95greenhrcgsNov-07-03 06:16 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1420 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62753, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the Crane #14 cams with AEM cam gears, lash adjusters, rollers, rockers, etc and I notice that I have a noise similar to what you are talking about. Either hot or cold it makes the noise and sometimes its not as noticable as others. I hope its normal.

Jonathan
95 Eclipse GS
8 injector
Hahn Stage 3.5
Howell 2.2L Stroker

T O T A L L E D, T H A N K S T O S O M E A S S H A T!!!!!!!!!!!!

robinjNov-07-03 06:42 PM
Member since Apr 12th 2003
81 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62755, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 95greenhrcgs
I hope its normal.

must be a DSM noise. now I just gotta work on the loping idle.

- robin

ConceptIllusionsSep-13-04 08:03 PM
Member since Sep 05th 2003
188 posts,
#80544, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 3

Yep i have the same dam noise.. i run crane #14 upgraded everything and oversized valves.. im thinkin ths sound is from the upgraded springs makin the valves close harder but i dunno its a dumb idea

www.cimotorsports.net

cougar694uSep-14-04 08:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3381 posts,
#80555, "RE:"
In response to Reply # 4

As far as I know, it's the rockers making the mild rattle/lifter tap. Mustangs with the roller rockers were notorious for it as well. Mine did the same thing, just like said above, sometimes it was worse than others.

~Luke
Facebook
1969 Cougar - 11.91 - 380HP
2007 GSXR 750
1999 OZ - SOLD - 15.26 NA - 14.71 on 75 shot

TeamMetalJimSep-14-04 07:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#80578, "RE: "that" camshaft noise, "that" other noise..."
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by robinj
that noise that sounds like a knocking/rattling noise under the valve cover... I thought it might've been the lifters, but the sound's the same if the engine is ice cold or hot. anyways, should I get that noise (normally) with crane #12s?

That is the sound of worn lifters. I had the same problem a while ago. No matter if it was hot or cold there was just alot of rattling goin on. I replaced the lifters and all was quiet. It seems to be a common problem with our engine. Eaton makes an upgraded lifter - the PT style lifter. Thats what I'm using and they're good. You shouldn't get that noise no matter what cams you have. I have Gude cams.

Originally posted by robinj
also, what could cause a FF-ff-ff noise at the head of the engine?

I don't know what that is. What I do to track down these kinds of noises is use a tube as a stethascope and probe all around the engine. Just make sure the side you stick into your ear is clean.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
15.7 @ 87.9mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #62692 Previous topic | Next topic