Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 7 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #62049
View in linear mode

Subject: "*Which Belt is this* Help!" Previous topic | Next topic
HeyGOct-24-03 06:13 AM
Member since Dec 09th 2002
69 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62049, "*Which Belt is this* Help!"

1997 Eclipse RS

So my car's making freaky noises again. I really need to know which belt this is. It is squeeking/chirping/etc almost all the time and I know I need to replace it, I'm close to 69,000miles on the stock belt, but what is this belt called?

also, whenever I'm at a complete stop and accelerate my right front brake makes a cracking sound. I was told that the pad is toggling, but anyone else experience this?

Lastly, when I turn my fan on it sounds like a hamster is running on a wheel under my passenger side dashboard, anyone have a soultion?

Thx in advance! any help would be great.

-=It's all about style=

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, lickscissors, Oct-24-03 06:16 AM, #1
RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, HeyG, Oct-24-03 06:23 AM, #2
      RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-24-03 07:54 AM, #3
           RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, HeyG, Oct-24-03 09:16 AM, #4
                RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, ZadensDSM, Oct-24-03 01:14 PM, #5
                     RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, Uberingram, Oct-24-03 01:47 PM, #6
                          RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, HeyG, Mar-03-04 04:15 PM, #7
                               RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, stv, Mar-03-04 05:38 PM, #8
                                    RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, fungul, Mar-03-04 06:01 PM, #9
                                         RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, HeyG, Mar-13-04 04:25 AM, #10
                                              RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, ughhhead, Mar-13-04 04:50 AM, #11
                                                   RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!, SPL_Eclipse, Mar-13-04 06:40 AM, #12

lickscissorsOct-24-03 06:16 AM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62050, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 0

it controls your power steering and a/c..... there's also an alternator belt in the back of the engine...change that while your'e at it.... check your powersteering fluid just incase
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HeyGOct-24-03 06:23 AM
69 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62051, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 1

thx for the quick reply!

aren't there like 3 belts there? I know the alternator belt is at the bottom, I just wasn't sure what the others were. Anyways, here comes the dumb ol question...have any idea how much all of these will run for $$?

I read in another thread that the alternator belt is 20$...

-=It's all about style=

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-24-03 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#62052, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 2

$10-$15 apeice. The third belt is the timing belt. If you're coming up on 60,000 miles, schedule that one too.. however, it is a big job. not something you can do in a few minutes, especially having never done it before.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

HeyGOct-24-03 09:16 AM
69 posts,
#62055, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by DarkOne
$10-$15 apeice. The third belt is the timing belt. If you're coming up on 60,000 miles, schedule that one too.. however, it is a big job. not something you can do in a few minutes, especially having never done it before.

I know I'm gonna sound half ass, but how long will a stock timing belt normally last? I'm putting my car in storage soon and I intend on buying a new car next season...so just for my curiousity, can I get away with it to not do the timing belt? I heard it costs like 1000$

anyways, I'm gonna go to Satan later today to get a price on the alternator belt and ac/power steering belt, I'll ask about the timing as well.

-=It's all about style=

ZadensDSMOct-24-03 01:14 PM
Member since Aug 18th 2003
175 posts,
#62064, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 4

as far as the timing belt is concerned..... it all depends on the car, the driver.... how you take car of it how you drive it.... etc...
recommended every 60k, i would highly suggest getting it done especially if you rev in the higher range even once in a while

that belt snaps.... and youve got about 2 secs (if that) to kill the engine before you spend the cash for new internals (could be a good experience )

i took mine to the dealer to get mine done at 77k (when i bought it) just because i didnt know it had been replaced (come to find out it did..... long story) cost around 500 bones.... cant remember the exact price....

anywho to sum it all up, i would highly recommend getting that done asap as i have heard stories of belts snapping at 62k and then lasting all the way to 170k on the original belt...... you never know

timing belts

UberingramOct-24-03 01:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#62066, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 5

or you could be severly lucky and snap your timing belt at TDC like taloniized did.

HeyGMar-03-04 04:15 PM
69 posts,
#69897, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 6

BUMP!

ANYWAYS, so I'm bringing my car out of storage in a couple of weeks and was still interested in how much it would cost to replace my alternator belt, A/C powersteering belt, and timing belts. Yes, from Satan.

thx a bunch. I am going the half ass way because like I said, I intend to sell the car by the end of this season. any input would be great.

-=It's all about style=

stvMar-03-04 05:38 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
576 posts,
#69901, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 7

you can buy the belts from autozone and take them to a small shop, and get it done alot cheaper than satan.

~STV~

fungulMar-03-04 06:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
163 posts,
#69902, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 8

The only work you should EVER have done by satan is recall work and waranty work. If you have any other work done there you are just paying more than you need to for no reason.

HeyGMar-13-04 04:25 AM
69 posts,
#70542, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 9

alright, I've decided to do this myself, but never really replaced belts before. I'm assuming I need a jack, but I don't have one. Any other toold I might need? Next is it as easy as pop it off, pop the other one on? thx a bunch.

-=It's all about style=

ughhheadMar-13-04 04:50 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2003
775 posts,
#70545, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 10

you really don't need a jack to replace your belts. all you have to do is pop your hood(obviously) and on the passenger side, look down to the right of your power steering resevoir and there will be your pwr steering/ a/c belt. the adjustment bolts are right down on the pulley, one bolt on the right of the pulley that will loosen the pulley and then the actual adjustment bolt on the front of the pulley facing the front of the car. loosen both of these bolts, then loosen the front one alot so that the belt will come off easily and the new one will go on easily. next is your alternator belt. still on the passenger side, look straight down between the intake manifold and the passenger side strut tower and you will be looking at the alternator. it is almost the same set up as ac/pwr steering belt. just loosen the bolt on the top of the alternator that is facing the passenger side strut tower then reach kind of behind the back of the alternator and you'll find the adjustment screw. again just loosen both of those, but loosen the back adjustment bolt the most, that way the old belt comes off easy and the new one goes on easy. just make sure you put your alternator belt on first and then your ac/pwr steering belt. when you go to tighten them up they shouldn't have more than a half of an inch of inflection (i think that was the right word?). there you go, you're done.

SPL_EclipseMar-13-04 06:40 AM
Member since Mar 11th 2002
5921 posts,
#70547, "RE: *Which Belt is this* Help!"
In response to Reply # 11

wow, this is a severely bumped thread!

anyway do like said^^^^^above. if you want more details, there are a bunch of threads on this topic (a lot of them by me, lol), so do a search.

:shhh: i do cocaine :/shhh:

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #62049 Previous topic | Next topic