Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51683
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cams are IN!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamAvengerMay-22-03 06:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51683, "Cams are IN!!!!"

Well my crower stage 2 cams are FINALLY in! I love them. Idles lumpy, car stalls out occasionally, but it pulls like no ones business on the top end! It's kinda cool that I can just floor it from low RPMs in 1st and once it hits about 5.5k BAM tires break loose. Nifty. I got a hell of a lot of tuning to do though ... I may take her to the dyno this weekend but we'll have to see. It's running REALLY rich (I never see below ~.97 o2 voltage at WOT), it idles roughs, and it dies occasionally if I push the clutch in and let off the gas from a high RPM. But it's great. I'm FINALLY taking advantage of the ported head and the SS oversized valves. I hope to squeeze as much as I can out of it.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Cams are IN!!!!, widebodied, May-22-03 06:38 PM, #1
RE: Cams are IN!!!!, TeamMetalJim, May-22-03 10:42 PM, #2
      RE: Cams are IN!!!!, My9t5Talon, May-23-03 12:25 AM, #3
           RE: Cams are IN!!!!, TeamMetalJim, May-23-03 01:11 AM, #4
                RE: Cams are IN!!!!, ModeratorVX100, May-23-03 06:39 AM, #6
                     RE: Cams are IN!!!!, TeamAvenger, May-23-03 06:49 AM, #7
                     RE: Cams are IN!!!!, TeamMichael_97RS, May-23-03 07:06 AM, #8
                          RE: Cams are IN!!!!, ModeratorVX100, May-23-03 07:30 AM, #9
                               RE: Cams are IN!!!!, NicksDSM, May-23-03 02:24 PM, #10
RE: Cams are IN!!!!, TeamMichael_97RS, May-23-03 04:05 AM, #5
It Idles!!! Yeah!!, TeamAvenger, May-23-03 07:16 PM, #11
RE: It Idles!!! Yeah!!, TeamMichael_97RS, May-24-03 06:16 AM, #12
      RE: It Idles!!! Yeah!!, TeamAvenger, May-24-03 06:23 PM, #13
           RE: It Idles!!! Yeah!!, Diceman19, May-25-03 01:55 AM, #14
                Tuning Update, TeamAvenger, May-26-03 11:24 AM, #15
                     RE: Tuning Update, steve0677, May-26-03 11:46 AM, #16
                     RE: Tuning Update, Diceman19, May-26-03 12:03 PM, #17
                          RE: Tuning Update, InFiNiT3, May-29-03 12:00 AM, #19
                     RE: Tuning Update, TeamAvenger, May-27-03 10:54 AM, #18

widebodiedMay-22-03 06:38 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
2257 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#51684, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

sounds good , im still waiting on my #16s from crane, supposely there waiting on billet cores.....
DWAYNE H

www.gottude.com
Red/Black/Silver 01 GSXR 750
Lots of Apexi components

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMetalJimMay-22-03 10:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#51699, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Awesome

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

My9t5TalonMay-23-03 12:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
963 posts,
#51701, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 2
May-23-03 12:26 AM by My9t5Talon

what # cams would that equate to for Crane...roughly?

William 'Tha.Will' McGroarty

~*Roary*~
Sick Skillz

TeamMetalJimMay-23-03 01:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#51702, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

The closest comparison to Crane would be a #18 Intake with a #10 exhaust.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

ModeratorVX100May-23-03 06:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#51716, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

So a crower stage 2 cam is approximate to a #18 crane intake, and a #10 crane exhaust? I wonder why so agressive on the intake and so mild on the exhaust? (relatively speaking) It's an unusual combination.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

TeamAvengerMay-23-03 06:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#51717, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Well I wouldn't say its a # 10 exhaust ... between #10 & #12 and the intake is between #16 & #18. It's got a lot of lift on the intake side .389" and so so on the exhaust .357".

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

TeamMichael_97RSMay-23-03 07:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#51718, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

My thoughts on that... exhaust gas velocity, force it out quickly and in a shorter time span, you have to worry less about back pussing of the gases as well... just a thought.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

ModeratorVX100May-23-03 07:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#51721, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8
May-23-03 07:31 AM by VX100

I agree Mike, that's why the stock exhaust cam is less agressive thant he stock intake cam (and why the exhuast valves are smaller than the intake valves)

It's just that there is a big difference between a crane #10 and #18 so that's why I was wondering...

My new cams should be in after this weekend heh heh, gotta love competition

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

NicksDSMMay-23-03 02:24 PM
Member since Aug 05th 2002
88 posts,
#51741, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

what else did you replace with the new cams.

TeamMichael_97RSMay-23-03 04:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#51703, "RE: Cams are IN!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice aren't they? Congrats on getting em in, yeah the high rpm tire breaking free catches you off guard that first time.

Do you have the S-AFC in? If so drop 1k adjust down at least 7 % and idle should smooth out... most likely with the head work it will take in the 12%+ range.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

TeamAvengerMay-23-03 07:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#51756, "It Idles!!! Yeah!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Well it doesn't die anymore. Idles ok but a little rough. I had to lean out the afc -18% at idle which really doesn't make sense but whatever. Still need a lot more tuning though.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

TeamMichael_97RSMay-24-03 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#51774, "RE: It Idles!!! Yeah!!"
In response to Reply # 11

Damn that's down quite a ways, I'd go with smaller adjustments and let the ECU learn. I was around 12-13% I think. I'm leary of leaning out too muchmyself.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

TeamAvengerMay-24-03 06:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#51798, "RE: It Idles!!! Yeah!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Well after a day of driving it around a playing with settings, I've got it to run better. So this is what my settings look likes now ...

Lo
1k - -10%
2k - -8%
3k - -6%
4k - -4%
5k - -2%

Hi settings I haven't really messed with. I've let me cam gears sitting at 0*/0*. I went ahead and reserved some dyno time to go mess with the whole thing after my car comes back from the body shop. I'll probably mess with the AFC settings some more before then. My WOT o2 readings are still very high ... 3rd gear pull never goes below .97.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

Diceman19May-25-03 01:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#51809, "RE: It Idles!!! Yeah!!"
In response to Reply # 13

will the ecu learn new stuff even after having it stock for so long? do you have to unplug the car and let the ecu learn from scratch?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
1998 Eclipse RS. Nothing great here.
Added the turbo wing and lowered it
down. More to come.

TeamAvengerMay-26-03 11:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#51880, "Tuning Update"
In response to Reply # 14

I had the battery disconnected this weekend so it's learning everything from scratch.

After some more driving and tuning it runs better and I'm getting more power at lower RPM ranges now. Got my afc tuned as follows ...

LO
1k - -12%
2k - -10$
3k - -8%
4k - -6%
5k - -4%
5.5k - -2%

HI
All RPM points -10%

Just a base line on the high because I really haven't been able to open her up.

I do have a funny story though. I was driving around today just staring at me o2 voltage gauge (Corbin special) and I was sitting at a traffic light. I look like crap (it's a holiday), hair standing up, etc and next to me is this Volvo C70 or something. 3 guys in the car looking over at me. When the light turns green I'm just driving normal looking at my o2 volts about 70% on the throttle. The volvo next to me is I THINK trying to race me. I shift about 4K keep going on as usual. Still looking at my o2 gauge. Volvo is behind me 1/2 car. Still 70% throttle. Shift to 3rd and let off and the volvo just goes flying by me fast ... I'm gonig about 55mph and the volvo just keeps pulling away (we're on a 40mph street). I was thinking to myself no way those jokers were racing with me. I wasn't even on it. Who knows but I found it kinda funny ... on a side note ... HOW THE HECK DOES A HIGH SCHOOL KID HAVE A NEW VOLVO??? I was bumming rides in HS until my dad had to work overseas then I started driving his car (1989 Mazada 626 Base Model) my senior year.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

steve0677May-26-03 11:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1464 posts,
#51883, "RE: Tuning Update"
In response to Reply # 15

84 vw rabbit diesil with 250,000 for my pimpin hi school ride.

03 rally red evo viii - stock
cardomain page
http://www.cardomain.com/id/steve0677

Diceman19May-26-03 12:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#51884, "RE: Tuning Update"
In response to Reply # 16

85 olds delta 88 with a rebuilt engine that had 80k on it.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
1998 Eclipse RS. Nothing great here.
Added the turbo wing and lowered it
down. More to come.

InFiNiT3May-29-03 12:00 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
732 posts,
#52072, "RE: Tuning Update"
In response to Reply # 17

87* Toyota tercel / pee yellow

97' Eclpse GS 420A
MODS*****
AEM cam Gears
MSD ignition
Chikira 4-2-1 header
Custom 3" exhast
Pacsetter hi-flo c

TeamAvengerMay-27-03 10:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#51962, "RE: Tuning Update"
In response to Reply # 15

Another tuning update ...

I was finally able to open her up getting on the highway today. Found out I was running OBSCENELY LEAN 5.5k to redline in 3rd gear. .84v on the o2 reading. Fixed that REALLY fast. I still may be a little lean but I'll fix that when I can say that for sure.

I really need to redo my fuel system. It just bugs me that I always see 54psi on the fuel pressure gauge. Stupid 96+ fuel system.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #51683 Previous topic | Next topic