Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #4320
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP ... When to replace belt tensioner." Previous topic | Next topic
gzrs99Jun-28-01 12:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
108 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4320, "HELP ... When to replace belt tensioner."

Help me out here folks. Currently i'm changing my timimg belt on my 99 RS mitsu. I'm just running into problems. The parts I ordered from tallahasee mits don't fit(Timing belt, belt tensioner, tensioner pulley). In fact the parts are for a turbo model (cross checked). Can't figure out on how to remove one of the Engine mount bracket bolt(engine side). The clearance between the fender well and the engine is damn narrow. I'v tried raising/lowering the engine. The engine won't clear enough to remove the bolt. My one day 5 hour project is turning into a 2.5 day pain in the ass.

Right now i'm out of $$$ the only thing i can afford is just the timing belt from a local dodge dealer. I don't have a week to order a new set of parts.

MY QUESTION????
Does the belt tensioner HAVE to be replaced with the timing belt. Or can i skip it for now till the next timing belt change at 120K.

I checked the tensioner it still seems to be ok.

Oh yeah any body figure out how to remove one of the engine bracket bolt near the alternator. I can't seem to lower/raise my engine further to pull it out. Right now i'm stumped. The only alternative is to drill a 1" hole near the fender well to get access.

One thing tho OEM crank pulley was a snap to remove. I'm gonna replace with an AFX and install motor mount insert front only.

Thanks for your help

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

koolade9Jun-28-01 05:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4321, "RE: HELP ... When to replace belt tensioner."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know about the bolt deal. but I would recommend highly changing both tensioners. I found out the hard way about 1k miles after I changed my belt when both tensioners went out. I skipped a few teeth on the belt and had to tow her home, one or two more teeth and I would have been shopping for a new motor.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CKTrenderJun-29-01 05:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4322, "RE: HELP ... When to replace belt tensioner."
In response to Reply # 1

I replaced my belt tensioner for my accessories a few months back and it was a freakin pain in the a$$. I thought it would be easy but it turned into a nightmare. Finally got it off and the new one on. But it beat the 400 dollars the dealer wanted to charge me to do it. Ha, did it for the cost of the tensioner...a little over a hundred. Damn the dealer.

Currently:
5Zigen Exhaust
Matrix Intake
Hot Shot Headers

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #4320 Previous topic | Next topic