Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #42482
View in linear mode

Subject: "''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...." Previous topic | Next topic
GhEttOrAiDJan-22-03 09:22 PM
Member since Oct 22nd 2002
1226 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42482, "''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
Jan-22-03 09:23 PM by GhEttOrAiD

Lemme clarify. Basically, when I go to slow down for a stop sign/red light, i'll downshift.

Okay.. great.. I push clutch back in, shift back to N and let the brakes take care of the last 15-20 feet. DURING this distance, my engine should come down from wherever I was when I disengaged clutch, slow to about 850rpm. It does NOT do this! Instead, it bounces between 500 and 1,200... Coming close to STALLING..

HOWEVER.

When I come to a _complete_ stop, it idles perfectly.

What the HELL is going on???

This does NOT happen when I rely solely on the brakes to slow the car down.

Having tranny issues, I know it, tomorrow its off with the old master/slave cylinders (provided satan or hopefully dodge have them in stock) to fix the cars tendency to not allow me to shift into first from a stop. (previously it was not letting me shift at all)
Also need a new clutch in the very near future, but for now my battle-worn clutch will suffice.

FS: 2.5" Test Pipe 25 shipped

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., 97xtc, Jan-23-03 03:27 AM, #1
RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., TeamMichael_97RS, Jan-23-03 05:37 AM, #2
RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., ModeratorVX100, Jan-23-03 06:41 AM, #3
RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., GhEttOrAiD, Jan-23-03 07:46 AM, #
RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., GhEttOrAiD, Jan-23-03 07:46 AM, #4
      RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., Fast420A, Jan-23-03 11:47 AM, #5
           RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...., GhEttOrAiD, Jan-23-03 12:34 PM, #6

97xtcJan-23-03 03:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#42484, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
In response to Reply # 0

check for vacuum leaks on the motor, inspect all the vac hoses for cracks,dry rot and that they are all hooked up. dont forget to check the hose running to the brake booster. peace

ASE certified master auto technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamMichael_97RSJan-23-03 05:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#42491, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
In response to Reply # 1

^ ditto, sound verry much like a vacum leak.

15.9 @ 86.7mph
97 Eclipse RS

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

ModeratorVX100Jan-23-03 06:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#42500, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
In response to Reply # 2

Yes, most likely it is a vacuum leak.

But, also check the throttle position sensor, the idle motor (both long shots)...

and actually the battery. Yes, sometimes certain cars can get a weird idle when the battery is about to go. I've had it happen to my car, and I've seen it happen to several others.

Yes, it CAN be the battery. Trust me on this.

As per your description of the problem...

"It does NOT do this! Instead, it bounces between 500 and 1,200... Coming close to STALLING..

HOWEVER.

When I come to a _complete_ stop, it idles perfectly"

That exact same thing happened to my saturn, to my mom's Lebaron convertable, my brother's olds, my dad's 626.... in all cases it was the battery.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

GhEttOrAiDJan-23-03 07:46 AM
1226 posts,
#42510, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."

Heh. my vacuum hose JUST arrived from Nopi... Didn't get every ID necesssary but 4mm should replace most of it. Anything that i cant replace i'll put new zip ties on...

Thanks for quick replies everyone!

GhEttOrAiDJan-23-03 07:46 AM
1226 posts,
#42511, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
In response to Reply # 1

Heh. my vacuum hose JUST arrived from Nopi... Didn't get every ID necesssary but 4mm should replace most of it. Anything that i cant replace i'll put new zip ties on...

Thanks for quick replies everyone!

Fast420AJan-23-03 11:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#42547, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
In response to Reply # 4

Check the IAC, that was always the problem on mine with the symptoms you discribed. Also, plan on buying another tranny soon if you are downshifting to slow down, ESPECIALLY if you aren't matching the rpms before you shift down.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Car Sold

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

GhEttOrAiDJan-23-03 12:34 PM
1226 posts,
#42556, "RE: ''Bouncing'' RPM's after downshifting to slow down...."
In response to Reply # 5

>Check the IAC, that was always the problem on mine with the
>symptoms you discribed. Also, plan on buying another tranny
>soon if you are downshifting to slow down, ESPECIALLY if you
>aren't matching the rpms before you shift down.

Ohh i know yeah im very careful about it. !

id rather replace my pads than... my tranny... heh.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #42482 Previous topic | Next topic