Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #25508
View in linear mode

Subject: "2.4L swap...all related info here" Previous topic | Next topic
cyanJun-19-02 02:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25508, "2.4L swap...all related info here"

i did a search for any and all info i can find on the 2.4L swap (knowing that its pretty simple anyway) but i came up with nothing...not even a topic in the "things weve seen before" forum. admins, can we get this topic in that forum, or get a link to the appropriate discussion. i have seen post after post about the swap but because i never really thought about it i never read the posts. now that im interested in doing it when i rebuild i need the info...for some reason the thought never crossed my mind.
-what parts are required (is a new crank required?)
-where is the best place to find these parts
-what are the reported problems with the swap if any
-what are the differences between install labor and final results
-what are the proven power differences with teh 2.4L

you get my drift

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jun-19-02 03:24 PM, #1
RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, CVedEclipse, Jun-19-02 03:37 PM, #2
      RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, HeartOfDarkness, Jun-19-02 04:45 PM, #3
           RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, cyan, Jun-20-02 01:29 AM, #4
RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, Skrilla, Jun-20-02 10:53 AM, #5
RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, babybeclipse, Jun-20-02 10:58 AM, #6
RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, HeartOfDarkness, Jun-20-02 11:10 AM, #7
      RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, Hybrid 420a, Jun-21-02 08:32 PM, #8
           RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, CVedEclipse, Jun-21-02 09:19 PM, #9
                RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, 9D9 MITSU RS, Jun-22-02 08:01 PM, #10
                     RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, CVedEclipse, Jun-22-02 08:45 PM, #11
                          RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, Ichiban, Jun-25-02 07:14 AM, #12
                               RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, HeartOfDarkness, Jun-25-02 10:18 AM, #13
                                    RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-25-02 10:53 AM, #14
                                         RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, 1ECLIPTIC808, Jun-25-02 02:06 PM, #15
                                         RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, 1TuffRS, Jun-25-02 04:51 PM, #16
                                         RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, alain95i4, Jun-25-02 10:24 PM, #18
                                              good stuff Alain 1TuffRs..., Skrilla, Jun-26-02 06:03 AM, #19
                                         RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here, HeartOfDarkness, Jun-25-02 04:58 PM, #17
                                         DINO..., Skrilla, Jun-27-02 05:37 PM, #20
                                              RE: DINO..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jun-28-02 02:26 AM, #21
                                                   RE: DINO..., The1Bill, Jul-01-02 01:28 PM, #22
                                                        RE: DINO..., CluckeRMC, Jul-01-02 03:09 PM, #23
                                                             RE: DINO..., The1Bill, Jul-01-02 05:21 PM, #24
                                                                  right on the money The1Bill..., Skrilla, Jul-01-02 08:47 PM, #25
                                                                       RE: right on the money The1Bill..., The1Bill, Jul-02-02 02:03 PM, #26
                                                                            RE: right on the money The1Bill..., 1TuffRS, Jul-02-02 02:31 PM, #27
                                                                                 It was too big..., Skrilla, Jul-02-02 08:51 PM, #28
                                                                                      RE: It was too big..., The1Bill, Jul-03-02 04:12 AM, #29
                                                                                           RE: It was too big..., The1Bill, Jul-04-02 05:22 AM, #30
                                                                                                RE: It was too big..., The1Bill, Jul-07-02 06:23 PM, #31
                                                                                                     RE: It was too big..., babybeclipse, Jul-08-02 02:29 AM, #32
                                                                                                          RE: It was too big..., 1ECLIPTIC808, Jul-08-02 06:02 AM, #33
                                                                                                               RE: It was too big..., 1TuffRS, Jul-10-02 11:50 PM, #34
                                                                                                                    RE: It was too big..., ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jul-16-02 07:42 AM, #35
                                                                                                                         RE: It was too big..., RIeclipse, Jul-22-02 05:01 PM, #36
                                                                                                                              RE: It was too big..., jsupetran, Jul-23-02 04:34 AM, #37

ModeratorEvuLFleAJun-19-02 03:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25509, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 0

Dino took away my power haha...

Nah I got Skrillas writeups on my laptop which I havnt touched for a month. He also has a 60mm TB writeup that I need to get up. Sheesh so much work to do.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

CVedEclipseJun-19-02 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#25510, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 1

skirlla def knows his shit... hes a kick ass guy too! hes always willing to help and we are going to be working soon... BIG things are coming!

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

HeartOfDarknessJun-19-02 04:45 PM
Member since May 24th 2002
182 posts,
#25511, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 2

To do this swap in an eclipse. So far out of the info i gather. You need the 2.4L block, you need to modified the motor mounts, and add some length to the wiring harness, and about an inch to the exhaust manifold. You might also, need an underdrive pulley, for clearance. Whats cool is you get to used the eclipse head, computer, and trans.
The hard part , is making the brackets for the accessories fit. I don't want to get rid of the p/s and a/c, so im going to make the brackets fit, no matter what!! As far as any problems I run into, im just going to have to cross those bridges when I get there. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

------------------------------

cyanJun-20-02 01:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#25512, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 3

whoa, more work than i expected...in that case, for me its either a 2.4L swap or a rebuild....ha, thats a tough one.

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

SkrillaJun-20-02 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#25513, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 0

>i did a search for any and all info i can find on the 2.4L
>swap (knowing that its pretty simple anyway) but i came up
>with nothing...not even a topic in the "things weve seen
>before" forum. admins, can we get this topic in that forum,
>or get a link to the appropriate discussion. i have seen
>post after post about the swap but because i never really
>thought about it i never read the posts. now that im
>interested in doing it when i rebuild i need the info...for
>some reason the thought never crossed my mind.
>-what parts are required (is a new crank required?)
>-where is the best place to find these parts
>-what are the reported problems with the swap if any
>-what are the differences between install labor and final
>results
>-what are the proven power differences with teh 2.4L
>
>you get my drift

In the balance shaft write I provided the moderators it explains what happens when you perform the swap and the power increases you'll get. It is worth it as far as swaps are concerned. I also have an excellente 60mm TB write-up that explains every little detail but we'll see if the Mods do something to add the information. I just got the 420a cylinder head flowbenched, but again, we'll see if any information I've provided makes it too the site.

As far as performing the swap Cyan there are several little things that have to be done. There is an oil issue to be performed to prevent starvation but if anyone is serious email me. Modified motor mount, stock 2GNT cylinder head, 2L UDP 2.4L belts and a couple other little things. I dynoed my car with turbo and 2.4L but not just the 2.4L. With all the regular mods the 2.4L feels like a 2L with 5 pounds of boost. NA it is very strong and power is linear, as all-motor should be, and gas mileage on the freeway will most likely drop a few miles since you can't turning the power "on", "off" or down like a turbo. My 2.4L relieves it's exhaust through a muffler shop 2.5" catback with magnaflow muffler. The muffler was raspy when cold on the 2L but the car is pretty intimidating at 4000rpms when cruising on the interstate with the 420 big block. At about 7200 rpms it is loud and kinda muscular sounding.

Edit: CVEclipse heard it and knows what it sounds like.

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

babybeclipseJun-20-02 10:58 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25514, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm seriously interested.

Just need to sell this damn 2.0L block.

HeartOfDarknessJun-20-02 11:10 AM
182 posts,
#25515, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 5

Skrilla, have you done this swap?
If so, would you mind to show some pics, so i can see what it look like?

Hybrid 420aJun-21-02 08:32 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2002
15 posts,
#25516, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 7

Scrilla if you dont mind im on aim please i want to talk about some things and make sense of my earlier post concerning this topic..... my aim name is SNEAKYPEDAZZO im always on so just send a message......

Master of the 420a
UDP,Greddy Header,Milled head 5k,3 Angle Valve Job,BBK Fuel Pump,B&M Fuel Riser,Apexi N1,AEM CAI,AEM Cam Gears,Phantom LSD,NX 75 Shot,Bored TB,Ported Intake Manifold,

Master of the 420a
UDP,Greddy Header,Milled head 5k,3 Angle Valve Job,BBK Fuel Pump,B&M Fuel Riser,Apexi N1,AEM CAI,AEM Cam Gears,Phantom LSD,NX 75 Shot,Bored TB,Ported Intake Manifold,

CVedEclipseJun-21-02 09:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#25517, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 8

yup.. i met up with skrilla last weekend.. we got talking and he turned on his car for me... it sounds ubelievable... i never thought you could make our engines should like that. and that was from having the car at a cold idle. hes a cool guy, and hopefully our project will begin soon.

also, for the guy that wants to see the pics of his engine bay... there really isnt that much difference that is visable... basically, it sits up one inch higher than normal, but even that is hard to notice... he does have some other fun things on his car.. definitely a kick ass ride.

^^what once was^^

9D9 MITSU RSJun-22-02 08:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#25518, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 9

why not do a stroker kit and turbo? 2.2, less hassle, and you have built internals and a shit load of power.

CVedEclipseJun-22-02 08:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#25519, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 10

when talking it over with skrilla, its really not much more hassle than putting in the stroker.. also, when you do the swap, you buy the new built internals... if you find stuff at the right price, it can be around the same price as the stroker... maybe more, but maybe less. and thats for more displacement. put boost on that and you have a beast

^^what once was^^

IchibanJun-25-02 07:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
238 posts,
#25520, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 11

What car does the donor block come from?

Nevermind. I found it further back in the posts.

Christian
06 GG IX MR SE
http://www.ichibanracing.com/ is DOWN!! In between hosts.

HeartOfDarknessJun-25-02 10:18 AM
182 posts,
#25521, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 12

still, it would be nice to see some pics. Also, it would give alot of people here an idea of what this swap looks like in an eclipse.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-25-02 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#25522, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 13

Josiah, send me you writeups in plain text. I'll htmlify them and get them on the site. I don't know what happened to the original writeup you sent me..

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

1ECLIPTIC808Jun-25-02 02:06 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
4 posts,
#25523, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 14

does anyone know exactly what i need to do the swap? if the 2.4 head would be better than the 2.0 is there a stroker kit out there for the 2.4 block or a bottom end rebuild kit? would a hahn stage five be overkill with this 2.4 combo? need help, going shopping soon }>

**JUST SMOKE 2 JOINTS**

1TuffRSJun-25-02 04:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#25524, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 15

most of the 2.4 engines come with a SOHC head so it will be better (read: and cheaper ) to just use your head. As far as beefing up the engine there are no pistons or rods available for it, you would have to buy custom pieces (atleast thats what Ive heard, ask skrilla to find out for sure) or you can get the pistons and rods from the turbo model made in Mexico.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

alain95i4Jun-25-02 10:24 PM
Member since Jan 28th 2002
794 posts,
#25525, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 16

>most of the 2.4 engines come with a SOHC head so it will be
>better (read: and cheaper ) to just use your head. As far
>as beefing up the engine there are no pistons or rods
>available for it, you would have to buy custom pieces
>(atleast thats what Ive heard, ask skrilla to find out for
>sure) or you can get the pistons and rods from the turbo
>model made in Mexico.

Not true anymore
Go to this webpage
http://www.bstockum.com/index.html
This guy is doing a bottom end kit for the 2.4 and here's the message I got from him

The 2.5 piston is not as desirable as we first thought.
The valve notches are needed to clear the valves. The
compression is very low, (7.8:1) and they still come up
about -.100" from the deck. So by the time you cut for
the valves and deck the block .100", you hve spent any
savings you might have relized with the 2.5 pistons.

I now have the Wiseco forged pistons under way for turbo
apps. and NA motors as well. They run just under $400 a
set, with pin. The rings are ~ $86 for the turbo setup.
The turbo rods I am re-bushing to adapt to the 2.4
pistons and polishing the beams and balancing in sets.
The CL77 bearings are aftermarket, the MOPAR tuebo
bearings would be fine. I am putting these piston, rod
bearing sets together for about $875, if you are
interested, an that includes rings and rod bearings.

Alain

one of the 2.4 true pionners

SkrillaJun-26-02 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#25526, "good stuff Alain 1TuffRs..."
In response to Reply # 18

...there are actually 3 different rods for sale for the 2.4L engine. The 2.4L doesn't come with a SOHC cylinder head. It is the same head as what is on the noens. With the exception of the camshafts which are long duration. The benefit of the long duration is the torque but I don't need anymore and prefer the higher HP so I use the Talon cylinder head.

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!

HeartOfDarknessJun-25-02 04:58 PM
182 posts,
#25527, "RE: 2.4L swap...all related info here"
In response to Reply # 15

The 2.0L head will make the swap easier because you get to used all of the wiring harness conections on the head. Both heads are basicly the same, so i guessing they flow the same too. I don't know if the wirness harness connections are the same. I hear that they are different. I'll let you know tomorrow when I go to get my 2.4L block.

SkrillaJun-27-02 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#25528, "DINO..."
In response to Reply # 14

...damn I'm just now reading this I'll do it and send it

Thanks...

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJun-28-02 02:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#25529, "RE: DINO..."
In response to Reply # 20

Thank you.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

The1BillJul-01-02 01:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#25530, "RE: DINO..."
In response to Reply # 21

Bumpnizzzzz...
Where is the writeup? Is it being HTML-ified? I will need the writeup in some form next week.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

CluckeRMCJul-01-02 03:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
549 posts,
#25531, "RE: DINO..."
In response to Reply # 22

So how much of a difference are we talking in power from 2.0l to 2.4l n/a?

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T
Evo Front Bumper (no pics yet)
Projector Headlights
Clear Corners
Stereo System
-Alpine Deck
-2 JL 10" Subs
-Phoenix Gold XS2300 Amp
-Custom Fit Box
Viper Alarm

The1BillJul-01-02 05:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#25532, "RE: DINO..."
In response to Reply # 23

Well, to put it one way, 200HP will not just be doable and feasable, it will be very easy. The 2.4L with basic bolt ons will produce 210-215 HP, from what I hear. Not terribly expensive, either.
-=B-=

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.

SkrillaJul-01-02 08:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#25533, "right on the money The1Bill..."
In response to Reply # 24

...and I sent you the write up! The phone number I still haven't pulled from my garage, I'll do it 1st thing in the morning.

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

The1BillJul-02-02 02:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#25534, "RE: right on the money The1Bill..."
In response to Reply # 25

To where did you send the writeup? I don't think it made it...
-=B-=

1TuffRSJul-02-02 02:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#25535, "RE: right on the money The1Bill..."
In response to Reply # 26

Hey Skrilla can you send me the write up as well. I am definitely interested in doing this. Also could you send me the write up on the 60mm jeep tb as well. I think that is going to be something I want to do in preperation for the turbo.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

SkrillaJul-02-02 08:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#25536, "It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 27

...and got rejected also Tuff I'll send those writeups to you too

*Skrilla
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by etx

The1BillJul-03-02 04:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#25537, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 28

Well, send it to SilverKlipz@attbi.com as I think that it has a larger capacity. Yup, just checked. I have a 10MB capactity there.
Thanks!
-=B-=

The1BillJul-04-02 05:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#25538, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 29

Yay... I am the newest member of the "I'm so cool, I reply to my own posts" club. But here goes, regardless. This is really a bump, but I might as well tell people that to make the 2.4L motor work, the downpipe needs to be extended. I am going to be doing this with a Pacesetter header which I just ordered.
But yes, BUMP!
-=B-=

The1BillJul-07-02 06:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#25539, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 30

Writeup received. Great writeup. Dino, did you get the re-send of this? If so, when might it make it onto the main page?
Thanks!
-=B-=

babybeclipseJul-08-02 02:29 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#25540, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 31

Can someone forward that write-up to me?

1ECLIPTIC808Jul-08-02 06:02 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
4 posts,
#25541, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 32

can some one send the write up to me too?

**JUST SMOKE 2 JOINTS**

1TuffRSJul-10-02 11:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#25542, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 33

hey skrilla when do you plan on taking that NA beast of yours to the track?? Im certain you should be in the 14's with that setup. Dont forget the write ups please

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

ModeratorEvuLFleAJul-16-02 07:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#25543, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 34

DINO! Where is it. My shit all got erased a few months ago and I never got to uploading.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

RIeclipseJul-22-02 05:01 PM
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
634 posts,
#25544, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 35

o wow if I do the 2.4L swap then I would get 200 horsepower or more and what is the cost of this around?

jsupetranJul-23-02 04:34 AM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#25545, "RE: It was too big..."
In response to Reply # 36

>o wow if I do the 2.4L swap then I would get 200 horsepower
>or more and what is the cost of this around?

yeah, how much for the material and labor?

New Car:
2004 350z base, Nismo CAI, pioneer avic-n1 (dvd, cd, navi)

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #25508 Previous topic | Next topic