Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137533
View in linear mode

Subject: "CEL 11, stalling, won't start" Previous topic | Next topic
MCubed45Nov-21-12 10:32 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137533, "CEL 11, stalling, won't start"

hey guys

car died several times on me today over the course of a few miles. after dying it would sometimes start right back up and other times it sat for as long as 20 minutes before it'd start again. then engine would would still turn over most of the time but sometimes also would not crank. once i managed to get it running it would drive pretty rough with misfires and rpm's jumping all over the place.

these are the CEL's:

12 11 32 11 43 55

32 is bc i removed the egr awhile ago.

i looked up CEL 11 and it says it could be the crankshaft or cam position sensor?

how do i begin trouble shooting those? if either were completely bad, the car would not run at all, right? so i'm probably looking for damaged connections/wires?

i haven't messed with either sensor before so i'm not familiar with their locations & wiring.. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

p.s. this is a 95 RS. i think some threads mentioned some differences with 95's and how they will still crank even when one of the signals are missing whereas other years will not? correct me if i'm wrong.

-marc

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Broke4goingNov-23-12 01:09 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#137538, "RE: CEL 11, stalling, won't start"
In response to Reply # 0

Your problem does sound like it's roots are in the CranKshaft Position Sensor.

This is not guaranteed, but the symptoms are exactly that. I've had this happen on so many eclipses. At one point in the mid 2000's I was able to buy broken down eclipse's by the handful's for under $1000 and the only reason they were broken down and couldn't start was a bad CranKshaft Position Sensor.

The sensor new is $63.95 has limited lifetime warranty and is available at AUTOZONE. You will also need the PIGTAIL connector which is an additional $11.99. You will splice this in place of the original 95 sensor connector. It is located on the back of the block DIRECTLY next to the oil filter. If yours is still an original 95 sensor, you absolutely want to upgrade to the 97+. While you're at it, you should upgrade to the 97+ Camshaft Postion Sensor.

The screen name says it all

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xrac3rxNov-23-12 02:08 PM
Member since Oct 31st 2010
29 posts,
#137540, "RE: CEL 11, stalling, won't start"
In response to Reply # 1
Nov-23-12 02:12 PM by xrac3rx

The Cam sensor is like 35 bucks at Advanced. Just bought one this week. I had the same problem. The car will run with a bad one, mine did and then it finally just died. Before it died my RPM's also jumped around.

Cam sensor is on the drivers side of the engine, off to the side, right below the valve cover. Two screws hold it on, they are tapped into the head. Check for a crack around the connector, that was the cause of mine.

MCubed45Nov-23-12 04:25 PM
2706 posts,
#137541, "RE: CEL 11, stalling, won't start"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Broke4going
Your problem does sound like it's roots are in the CranKshaft Position Sensor. This is not guaranteed, but the symptoms are exactly that. I've had this happen on so many eclipses. At one point in the mid 2000's I was able to buy broken down eclipse's by the handful's for under $1000 and the only reason they were broken down and couldn't start was a bad CranKshaft Position Sensor. The sensor new is $63.95 has limited lifetime warranty and is available at AUTOZONE. You will also need the PIGTAIL connector which is an additional $11.99. You will splice this in place of the original 95 sensor connector. It is located on the back of the block DIRECTLY next to the oil filter. If yours is still an original 95 sensor, you absolutely want to upgrade to the 97+. While you're at it, you should upgrade to the 97+ Camshaft Postion Sensor.

cool thanks. what's the difference with the 97+ camshaft sensor? also does the 97+ CAMSHAFT sensor require a different connector? (i know the crankshaft one does)

went to go inspect the wiring and stuff today and for some reason the car started up fine and idled perfectly for the 15+ minutes i left it running.. can't see any frayed wires or bad connectors for either sensor.

i might go ahead and replace both sensors to be safe. i'm at 193k and i'm pretty sure both are the stockers. just sucks that o'reily's here charges like $100+ for the crank sensor and $30 for the damn plastic connector.

-marc

Broke4goingNov-23-12 07:59 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
#137544, "RE: CEL 11, stalling, won't start"
In response to Reply # 3

Get it from AUTOZONE. They will both require a new PIGTAIL which you called a "plastic connector". That is the difference between the 95 and the 97, the PIGTAIL.

I had an original CranKshaft Postion Sensor make it to 236,000 miles before finally dying, can't believe it made it that far. I'd go ahead and get it out of the way now.

The screen name says it all

MCubed45Nov-23-12 09:43 PM
2706 posts,
#137545, "RE: CEL 11, stalling, won't start"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Broke4going
Get it from AUTOZONE. They will both require a new PIGTAIL which you called a "plastic connector". That is the difference between the 95 and the 97, the PIGTAIL. I had an original CranKshaft Postion Sensor make it to 236,000 miles before finally dying, can't believe it made it that far. I'd go ahead and get it out of the way now.

no AutoZone here..

i was pleasantly surprised to find that the crank sensor comes with a 97+ connector. didn't realize that the crank and cam sensors use the same connector also so i just used the crank connector i ordered for the cam instead. don't have my jack here so only did the cam. running fine so far..

-marc

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #137533 Previous topic | Next topic