Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133419
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fuel delivery issues" Previous topic | Next topic
MimMar-20-11 01:03 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2011
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133419, "Fuel delivery issues"

Hello everyone,

This will be my first post, but your forums have helped me in the past. I have read the posts on this issue and they don't really help me solve it. I am no tuner, and I only work on my cars when they need to be worked on. (Im a figure it out as you go kinda guy) So, I don't know what tests to run or how to do it for that matter. That said, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

... Pleasantries out of the way and down to the gritty...

I've got a 95 Eclipse GS N/T, 2.0 DOHC. I blew the head gasket and it has been garaged for about 5 months while I learned how to tear it apart. After finally getting the head off, I didn't want to mess anything up with the re-assembly so I had it towed to a shop and finished. I got it back and drove it for one day.. ONE... (just home then to work) and it stopped running. Had the mechanic come tow it back to his shop where it sat for a month. He finally tells me it's not getting spark or fuel and hes not sure why... prob the ECU, and fuel pump he said. OK... so I had it towed home and a week later put in a new ECU and fuel pump. Now I am getting spark but still no fuel delivery.

Really quick insert. Somewhere along the lines of all of this I replaced the following:
Everything to do w/ head gasket replacement
head, valves, seals, all gaskets, water pump, timing belt... ect
ECU
Crank Sensor
Cam Sensor
Fuel Pump AND relay
ASD relay
coolant temp sensor (unrelated)
bunch of other stuff (ALSO unrelated)

SO... I went to sleep last night thinking about it and BOOM, , it hit me. The car has been sitting for so long with a quarter tank of gas... I was betting that the gas had sludged and clogged up the fuel filter. Got home today and took the filter off to find it dripping a nice goopy black substance until I turned it over and gas poured out the top. It was definitely clogged, so I got excited, got a new one and put it on... but it still wont start!

Before anyone asks, I am sure it is a fuel delivery issue and nothing else. I say this because I can spray starter fluid in the intake and it will kick, start and die. AND I have taken the line from the top of the filter out of the end of the fuel rail and put it in a cup but there is nothing coming out of it when I try and crank it over. I can hear the pump priming, but nothing comes out of the other end!

At this point, I am at a loss.... Unless I am wrong, fuel goes from the pump to the filter to the rail and the injectors and so on... I just don't seem to be getting any up to filter point.

... Some please help!

Sorry about the book you had to read.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Mar-20-11 10:55 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133421, "RE: Fuel delivery issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Narrow down where your blockage is then.

Priming the pump, does fuel come out the exit of the fuel filter? If so, then the blockage is between the filter and rail.

Use the process of elimination to find out where. Same as a garden hose hooked up to the spicket on the side of your house.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipserstturboMar-20-11 04:26 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#133424, "RE: Fuel delivery issues"
In response to Reply # 1

And just because of relative ease, make sure the plug going to the injector harness didn't back out... since you didn't do it yourself sometimes mechanics take short cuts or forget something.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

MimMar-20-11 08:51 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2011
6 posts,
#133425, "RE: Fuel delivery issues"
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry guys, this forum is a little difficult to navigate.

Thanks for your input.

**UPDATE**

*Smacks hand to head*

How could I have been so stupid... when I put in the new fuel pump, I twisted the hose... Woke up thinking about it this morning and went to check... sure enough where the hose leaves the pump and goes under the car it was nice and twisted. As soon as I fixed that, I could hear the gas flowing. SHE RUNS!!!! Yea!

Thanks!

By the way, I changed the MPI at some point already. Thanks anyway!

THE GOOD: SHE RUNS!

THE BAD: I got gas in my eye... ouch....

That was earlier today

BUT NOW

New issue
Ok,

So she starts and idles fine but when I took it for a test drive, it bogged out below 1000 rpm and above 3000. Between them it seems to run alright...

Checked the dash light and im getting code 11
Checked w a code scanner and Im getting P1390

11 is supposed to be timing belt off by a tooth, cam or crank sensor loose. OR cam needs to be reset.
P1390 is timing belt off by one tooth or cam or crank (according to autozone)

Upon further investigation, the P1390 code is more than likely the timing, but the sprockets look alined... I found a center tooth between the two and counted teeth on each side to the marks. Same...

The one day it was running after I got it back from the shop, it didn't do this. Ive recently replaced the cam AND crank sensors. (after i got it back)

I put in the old cam sensor (i only replaced it on a hunch and I THINK it was new from before anyway) but it's still doing it...

Any ideas?

eclipserstturboMar-21-11 11:20 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#133432, "RE: Fuel delivery issues"
In response to Reply # 3

Maybe your timing is a tooth off at the crank.?

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133419 Previous topic | Next topic