Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132623
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. " Previous topic | Next topic
MidniteblackDec-10-10 03:49 PM
Member since Nov 12th 2010
10 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132623, "Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
Dec-10-10 04:06 PM by Midniteblack

So here's the deal. When I bought my car about 3 years ago I had a problem with my car dying on me a few times while driving. I would still have power to all of my accessories and the car would eventually start back up and be fine. At the time I had an Intermittent loss of Camshaft Position Sensor or Crankshaft Position Sensor code.

I haven't had this problem at all with my car again till about a few weeks ago after I changed my head gasket (new plugs and wire were installed)and timing belt on my car. After I did my HG I have been having this problem with my car dying on me about every day. I checked my codes again and this time it was giving me a po340 (camshaft position sensor a- bank 1 circuit malfunction). I checked the harness with an ohm meter and it checked out ok but that obviously doesn't really mean it is. I changed the cam sensor and checked the codes again and now i'm back at the p1391(manufacturer control ignition system or misfire) code.

My guess is that somewhere in the harness there is a weak wire that I agitated by moving it around when I did my HG. I was just wondering if there is anything else I should look for or if you guys think it's probably just a wire in the harness? Thanks in advance guys!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Slo2g, Dec-10-10 04:19 PM, #1
RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Midniteblack, Dec-10-10 04:23 PM, #2
      RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Slo2g, Dec-10-10 04:31 PM, #3
           RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , RoninEclipse2G, Dec-10-10 06:33 PM, #4
                RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , doughboy23, Dec-10-10 07:01 PM, #5
RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-11-10 03:17 AM, #6
RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Midniteblack, Dec-11-10 02:18 PM, #7
      RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Slo2g, Dec-11-10 04:41 PM, #8
           RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. , Midniteblack, Dec-11-10 11:49 PM, #9

Slo2gDec-10-10 04:19 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132624, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 0

I had this problem too, changed the harness and it went away for a bit, but eventually came back. I ended up doing away with it from MSnS, so far so good.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MidniteblackDec-10-10 04:23 PM
10 posts,
#132625, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 1

excuse my #### question, but what is msns?

Slo2gDec-10-10 04:31 PM
1074 posts,
#132626, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 2

Megasquirt and spark

RoninEclipse2GDec-10-10 06:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#132627, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 3

Megasquirt, it's a DIY standalone engine management system.

As far as your issue goes, double check the harness where it runs by the EGR pipe. Sometimes the pipe can get too hot and melt part of the harness causing odd intermittant shorts. If you didn't loctite the bolt holding the harness in place after doing the headgasket then the harness may have rubbed up against the hot EGR pipe.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

doughboy23Dec-10-10 07:01 PM
Member since Mar 24th 2008
15 posts,
#132628, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Megasquirt, it's a DIY standalone engine management system. As far as your issue goes, double check the harness where it runs by the EGR pipe. Sometimes the pipe can get too hot and melt part of the harness causing odd intermittant shorts. If you didn't loctite the bolt holding the harness in place after doing the headgasket then the harness may have rubbed up against the hot EGR pipe.

I too had this problem, Tracked it down to the wires running beside the egr valve melted it to bare wire. I replaced the section of melted wire and heat wrapped that whole section beside the pipe and no problem since then.

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-11-10 03:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#132629, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Midniteblack
My guess is that somewhere in the harness there is a weak wire that I agitated by moving it around when I did my HG. I was just wondering if there is anything else I should look for or if you guys think it's probably just a wire in the harness? Thanks in advance guys!

This^^ was my first inclination as well.

For "funnzies" you can pull the plug on the crank sensor and clean out any oil/crap that may have gotten in the plug. Then look at the wiring by the plug to see if any of that is cracked.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

MidniteblackDec-11-10 02:18 PM
10 posts,
#132633, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks guys, i'll check the wires out and let you know how it turns out.

Slo2gDec-11-10 04:41 PM
1074 posts,
#132634, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, normally its the EGR tube melting the wires, the thing was with mine is that the egr tube had been off the car for over 2 years when my problem popped up. I still to this day don't have it narrowed down as to what exactly it was.

MidniteblackDec-11-10 11:49 PM
10 posts,
#132649, "RE: Car dying randomly, advice appreciated. "
In response to Reply # 8
Dec-11-10 11:52 PM by Midniteblack

I haven't gone over my wires yet but I have been noticing a trend with my car dying though. It will die on me most of the time when I go to drive my car in the beginning of the day and typically within the first 10-15 minutes of running the car. Then after a while of driving my car I can feel pretty confident it won't die on me. Any ideas of why this may be? Maybe something to do with the resistance in the wires changing with the heat of the egr tube? I'm kinda stumped.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132623 Previous topic | Next topic