Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132585
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about msd ignition coil" Previous topic | Next topic
GsNewbieDec-08-10 02:37 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2010
121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132585, "Question about msd ignition coil"

I bought a msd ignition coil and the harness plug in wont fit the msd one, Now this is my second msd coil because i sent other one back because it didnt fit either and now this one isnt. Any idea's on why?? I have a 95 eclipse gs, Is their a adapter i can get to plug in the harness and into the msd coil??

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 02:39 PM, #1
RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-08-10 02:45 PM, #2
      RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 02:46 PM, #3
           RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-08-10 02:50 PM, #4
                RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 02:52 PM, #5
                     RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-08-10 03:02 PM, #6
                          RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 03:04 PM, #7
                               RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-08-10 03:09 PM, #8
                                    RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 03:10 PM, #9
                                         RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-08-10 03:12 PM, #10
                                              RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 03:19 PM, #11
                                              RE: Question about msd ignition coil, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-08-10 03:45 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-08-10 03:48 PM, #13
RE: Question about msd ignition coil, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-08-10 03:52 PM, #14
RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-11-10 12:51 PM, #15
      RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-11-10 10:24 PM, #16
           RE: Question about msd ignition coil, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-11-10 10:28 PM, #17
                RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 09:24 AM, #18
                     RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 09:25 AM, #19
                          RE: Question about msd ignition coil, Moderatorteklein, Dec-12-10 09:27 AM, #20
                               RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 09:28 AM, #21
                                    RE: Question about msd ignition coil, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-12-10 09:38 AM, #22
                                         RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 09:42 AM, #23
                                              RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 10:07 AM, #24
                                                   RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 10:09 AM, #25
                                                        RE: Question about msd ignition coil, GsNewbie, Dec-12-10 09:37 PM, #26

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 02:39 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#132586, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 0

You keep buying the flat pin coil.

You have a round pin plug.

You need to wire a new one in.

PM Stangmurdera for a 97-99 coil plug. He owns Miller Import Parts, you probably have seen his banner up top.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

GsNewbieDec-08-10 02:45 PM
121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#132587, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 1

Ok so their is no round pin coil for msd? Or is it better to just install a new wire in for the plug in. An how much one cost and how hard is it to install?

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 02:46 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#132588, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by GsNewbie
Ok so their is no round pin coil for msd? Or is it better to just install a new wire in for the plug in. An how much one cost and how hard is it to install?

Better to upgrade to the more common one.

I dont know how much it costs, here is Stephens website. I dont sell them, he does: http://millerimportparts.com

And it isnt hard at all. Its only three wires, and as you already see its easy to get to.

GsNewbieDec-08-10 02:50 PM
121 posts,
#132589, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 3

Ok i will just upgrade then. Yea the wires are right their but i never installed no wires before any help on it?

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 02:52 PM
1699 posts,
#132590, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 4

Ok i will just upgrade then. Yea the wires are right their but i never installed no wires before any help on it?

Go to the hardware store and get three red color coded HEAT SHRINK butt splices and a set of wire strippers/crimpers.

Cut the old plug off, strip about 3/8 of the insulation off. Take new plug and strip the wires there too.

Now crimp on the three butt slices. Now crimp the other sides to the harness. Take a heat source (lighter, hair dryer, etc.) and heat up the plug so the heat shrink forms a seal.

Reloom and tape.

You are done.

GsNewbieDec-08-10 03:02 PM
121 posts,
#132591, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 5

Im confused about the butt clamps, the wires go in them and then heat the clamp up to make a protector?? An advance wouldnt sell the right coil pin i need?

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 03:04 PM
1699 posts,
#132592, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 6

Im confused about the butt clamps, the wires go in them and then heat the clamp up to make a protector?? An advance wouldnt sell the right coil pin i need?

I dont know, you will have to check with them. Its for a 97-99 Eclipse. You want flat pins.

You put the butt clamp on, crimp, then heat.

Here is a how to:

http://www.tpub.com/content/heaters/TM-5-3895-377-13P/css/TM-5-3895-377-13P_431.htm

Soldering would be better in this situation, but a butt connector will be fine. If you have never used a butt connector, you will have a hell of a time with solder!

GsNewbieDec-08-10 03:09 PM
121 posts,
#132593, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 7

Ok way better! thanks. Ok whats the exact name for the plug in to the coil??

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 03:10 PM
1699 posts,
#132594, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 8

Ok way better! thanks. Ok whats the exact name for the plug in to the coil??

Just a coil plug.

GsNewbieDec-08-10 03:12 PM
121 posts,
#132595, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 9

Ok thanks man you helped me alot with this problem.

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 03:19 PM
1699 posts,
#132596, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 10

Ok thanks man you helped me alot with this problem.

NP.

I did a quick check on Advance Auto and Rock Auto. They make a connector that you have to put together. It would be much better for you to buy a connector with a pigtail.

Stephen will send you one, tell him you need like 6" of pig tail on it.

AdministratorCODE4Dec-08-10 03:45 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#132597, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 10

If you have an autozone, buy this:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Pigtail-Connector/1998-Mitsubishi-Eclipse/_/N-jag01Z9cl7g?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=pigtail&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=258523_35128_0_

It is a pigtail replacement for the coil, VSS, CPS, & CAS.

---

2012 2500HD LML

ModeratortekleinDec-08-10 03:48 PM
1699 posts,
#132598, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 12

Score, good find.

AdministratorCODE4Dec-08-10 03:52 PM
2552 posts,
#132599, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-08-10 07:16 PM by CODE4

I bought a msd ignition coil and the harness plug in wont fit the msd one, Now this is my second msd coil because i sent other one back because it didnt fit either and now this one isnt. Any idea's on why?? I have a 95 eclipse gs, Is their a adapter i can get to plug in the harness and into the msd coil??

Also, you need to look closely at product catalogs as MSD specifically makes a round pin coil for the 95 model year.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8229/

Did you describe the problem before sending the first one back and ordering another of the same part number? You might have saved yourself a lot of headache.

---

2012 2500HD LML

GsNewbieDec-11-10 12:51 PM
121 posts,
#132632, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 14

Actually the guy at advance told me about the pigtail, But i had no idea that the pin only came like that. So I told him I would wait and try a new one. An I actually saved 10 bucks by buying it off ebay. Should I go ahead and buy the pigtail and use that as my connector for the msd??

GsNewbieDec-11-10 10:24 PM
121 posts,
#132647, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 15

Those pig tails replace my stock harness pin con actor already on my car??? Or does it plug into my stock one and into the msd coil??? Because I called auto zone and they said they don't carry them, but I will be going to advance tommow to see. Any answers tonight would be nice so I can get it in morning. Thanks

AdministratorCODE4Dec-11-10 10:28 PM
2552 posts,
#132648, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 16

It is a pigtail replacement meaning you splice it into your wiring. It is a flat pin connector so if your coil has flat pins it will work. Did you look at the autozone link I gave you? It is pretty clear what is.

---

2012 2500HD LML

GsNewbieDec-12-10 09:24 AM
121 posts,
#132653, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 17

Yea I just got off phone with him now he said its a cam wire, He said it will not work with the msd because it only has to holes for the plug in.

GsNewbieDec-12-10 09:25 AM
121 posts,
#132654, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 18

An its not flat its a round pin connector on the msd,

ModeratortekleinDec-12-10 09:27 AM
1699 posts,
#132655, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 19

An its not flat its a round pin connector on the msd,

What pin do you have on the coil connector on the harness side?

GsNewbieDec-12-10 09:28 AM
121 posts,
#132656, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 20

Mine is round to but smaller then the msd one

AdministratorCODE4Dec-12-10 09:38 AM
2552 posts,
#132657, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 21
Dec-12-10 10:06 AM by CODE4

Mine is round to but smaller then the msd one

This does not makes sense at all. Take pictures of your coil and your engine harness.

This:

or this:

First, the pigtail is able to be used for the Crank, Cam, VSS, and coil - they are all three pin. Anyone telling you differently does not know what they are talking about.

The MSD coil, if in fact the flat or round pin, will work either with your engine harness if you do in fact have a 95 model with the original round pin harness, or buy the pigtail from a parts store with the flat pin so you can use the MSD Coil.

Additionally, this whole thread you have been telling us your coil would not work because it has flat pins that would not mate to your round pin engine harness connector.

---

2012 2500HD LML

GsNewbieDec-12-10 09:42 AM
121 posts,
#132658, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 22

Ok My harness is round and will not fit because it is to small, The msd pin is round as well but to big. I will go take the pics right now and upload.

GsNewbieDec-12-10 10:07 AM
121 posts,
#132659, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 23

U got a email i can send pictures to?? because it is not letting me upload photos to photo shop for some reason.

GsNewbieDec-12-10 10:09 AM
121 posts,
#132660, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 24

The pin's are round, but the connector is to small it wont go on because its to small doesn't have to do with pins just the connector is to small

GsNewbieDec-12-10 09:37 PM
121 posts,
#132671, "RE: Question about msd ignition coil"
In response to Reply # 25

problem solved thanks for all the help guys.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #132585 Previous topic | Next topic