Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127678
View in linear mode

Subject: "Machine shop question" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipserstturboSep-10-09 07:06 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127678, "Machine shop question"
Sep-10-09 07:10 PM by eclipserstturbo

Okay, I've got my list for what I need for my rebuild. Got a few questions on the job for the machine shop though. I'm going to get them to assemble the rotating assembly and I was wondering if I should buy main and rod bearings or get them to order them when they get into it. I think I posted on this about a month ago, but here's what I'm going for.
98 RS 420a turbo. Already blew my stock motor from the turbo.
I'm getting:
Eagle Rods
Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons bored .020" over
block machining
4g63 crower valve springs
Vortech SFMU
adjustable FPR
Head street port/polish
Intake mani ported and bored to 60mm w/ modified jeep throttle body.
Electronic FCD
340cc injectors
Wideband, EGT, and boost gauge
MSD DIS 2
My goal is a 300hp semi daily driven but competitive track car.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

420agreenvilleSCSep-10-09 07:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127680, "RE: Machine shop question"
In response to Reply # 0

let them determine the appropriate size

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorCorbinSep-11-09 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#127693, "RE: Machine shop question"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-11-09 11:04 AM by Corbin

If they are doing the machining and assembly, then they should determine the appropriate bearing sizes. They might have to machine down one of the crank journals to get smooth metal and the appropriate clearances. If you had already bought bearings, you would then have to buy new ones. However, you might want to request specific clearances for each set of bearings (based on a shop manual or advice). If you do that, you would want them to record the actual measured clearances, so you could compare that to your request. I do suggest that you request them to list the bearing sizes they use and every machining process they do. That lets you do a basic error check on their work and might help you with future decisions. Unless you have lots of experience with this shop, you should expect them to cut corners, not measure things carefully, and generally bolt everything together as quickly as possible. Be specific about your needs and do your best to double-check their work.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

420agreenvilleSCSep-11-09 12:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#127696, "RE: Machine shop question"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-11-09 12:37 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by Corbin
Unless you have lots of experience with this shop, you should expect them to cut corners, not measure things carefully, and generally bolt everything together as quickly as possible. Be specific about your needs and do your best to double-check their work.

that is so true and unfortunate. tis the cliche, do it right, do it yourself. That's not a scare tactic to get it done yourself, just something to be aware of. This is also not true on all shops, just most.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

eclipserstturboSep-11-09 09:31 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#127705, "RE: Machine shop question"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks alot guys. Thankfully, the place I'm taking it to is very reputable and I know alot of people that have used them for years. They actually seemed pretty excited to tear into it once I told them my goals and what I wanted done. I will definately be requesting a detailed list on the work done as well as measurements so they maybe wont try to cut any corners. Man I cant wait to get this thing back on the road.

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127678 Previous topic | Next topic