Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127033
View in linear mode

Subject: "2.4 cam magnet question" Previous topic | Next topic
rsdsm95Aug-04-09 11:28 AM
Member since Oct 30th 2006
28 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127033, "2.4 cam magnet question"

I'm doing the 2.4/2.0 and now I'm stuck on the part of the cams i know you have to turn the magnet and cut the tabs. After that I get confused I can't get the screw out either so if someone could explain it better or knows of a better write up I'd appreciate it. The new cams are also crowers.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-04-09 11:32 AM, #1
RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, rsdsm95, Aug-04-09 11:44 PM, #2
      RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-05-09 07:47 AM, #3
      RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, rsdsm95, Aug-05-09 09:53 AM, #7
      RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-05-09 07:59 AM, #4
           RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, Purpose, Aug-05-09 08:18 AM, #5
                RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-05-09 09:09 AM, #6
                     RE: 2.4 cam magnet question, phr0st187, Aug-05-09 10:38 AM, #8

AdministratorCODE4Aug-04-09 11:32 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#127034, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 0

What screw are you referring to?

When looking at the cam magnet, rotate the magnet 90* clockwise. When looking at the cam gear side it would be rotating it 90* counterclockwise.

read this:

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=289563

and

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=275914

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

rsdsm95Aug-04-09 11:44 PM
28 posts,
#127055, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 1

this was the screw i was talking about thanks for the links. I understood the concept but im from TN i like pictures haha.

AdministratorCODE4Aug-05-09 07:47 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#127063, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-05-09 07:48 AM by CODE4

Originally posted by rsdsm95
this was the screw i was talking about thanks for the links. I understood the concept but im from TN i like pictures haha.

Hey man, I do not want to be an ass but are you planning on running that setup in an Eclipse? Because that is a 2.4 head and unless you have some interesting setup for the intake and exhaust it is not going to work.

As for the bolt that secures the cam magnet, you should be concerned more about why it is seizing up in a new set of Crowers before yanking on it. Regardless, install one of the cam gear bolts & use that end to hold the cam from rotating. The cam magnet bolt should not have much more than 20 lbs/ft on it.

EDIT: I just realized you took that picture from a Neon post so disregard the comment about the head.

---

2012 2500HD LML

rsdsm95Aug-05-09 09:53 AM
28 posts,
#127067, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by rsdsm95 this was the screw i was talking about thanks for the links. I understood the concept but im from TN i like pictures haha.
Hey man, I do not want to be an ass but are you planning on running that setup in an Eclipse? Because that is a 2.4 head and unless you have some interesting setup for the intake and exhaust it is not going to work. As for the bolt that secures the cam magnet, you should be concerned more about why it is seizing up in a new set of Crowers before yanking on it. Regardless, install one of the cam gear bolts & use that end to hold the cam from rotating. The cam magnet bolt should not have much more than 20 lbs/ft on it. EDIT: I just realized you took that picture from a Neon post so disregard the comment about the head.

I grabbed that picture off on of the links you posted just to show what bolt i meant. The Bolts in one of my 2.0 cams . Gonna try to get the bolt out tonight.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-05-09 07:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#127064, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 2

it's a T-50 Torx. (iirc)

Stick something in the cam locating hole to lock it, and crank on the SOB.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

PurposeAug-05-09 08:18 AM
Member since Jul 30th 2009
42 posts,
#127065, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 4

Ditch those lifters before they break on you.

Banned

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-05-09 09:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#127066, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Purpose
Ditch those lifters before they break on you.

The lifters don't break. They just break the rockers

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

phr0st187Aug-05-09 10:38 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
25 posts,
#127070, "RE: 2.4 cam magnet question"
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-05-09 10:42 AM by phr0st187

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by Purpose Ditch those lifters before they break on you.
The lifters don't break. They just break the rockers

They won't break but they're still noisy and don't lubricate worth a shit. That bolt may have some kind of thread locker on it from the factory I'm not sure. Remember lefty loosey, righty tighty!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #127033 Previous topic | Next topic