Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 5 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #123376
View in linear mode

Subject: "dented oil pan?" Previous topic | Next topic
dceclipsersJan-04-09 10:11 PM
Member since Nov 12th 2008
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123376, "dented oil pan?"

I have heard that a dented oil pan can cause you to spin a bearing.
The oil flow is is changed at higher R.P.M.s causing the bearings to get less oil. Has anyone else heard of this?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: dented oil pan?, halfasss101, Jan-05-09 12:13 AM, #1
RE: dented oil pan?, dceclipsers, Jan-05-09 12:19 AM, #2
      RE: dented oil pan?, halfasss101, Jan-05-09 06:17 AM, #3
           RE: dented oil pan?, Moderatorxcasbonx, Jan-05-09 07:21 AM, #4
                RE: dented oil pan?, 740 turbo brick, Jan-05-09 10:05 AM, #5
                     RE: dented oil pan?, foggy45, Jan-05-09 05:16 PM, #6
                          RE: dented oil pan?, RoninEclipse2G, Jan-05-09 05:48 PM, #7
                               RE: dented oil pan?, scorpo86, Jan-10-09 12:18 PM, #8

halfasss101Jan-05-09 12:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#123377, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 0

I highly doubt it. Unless its dented to the point where it looks like a completely different oil pan. As long as the pickup tube is getting oil, oil flow will be fine. I believe the oil is pumped up into the block and then out to the bearings. The crankshaft and bearings dont sit in the oil in the pan. How bad is the dent?

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

dceclipsersJan-05-09 12:19 AM
Member since Nov 12th 2008
18 posts,
#123378, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 1

My oil pan is dented in about half an inch. If it isn't hurting anything I will leave it alone and forget about it.

halfasss101Jan-05-09 06:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
343 posts,
#123380, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 2

how big though? Golf ball size, tennis ball size? It's on the deep end of the oil pan right i'm assuming?

Originally posted by bullettdsm Recommendations are that you get drunk and sit idly by to stare at your car while nothing happens to it. End results seem to be that you will be happy.

ModeratorxcasbonxJan-05-09 07:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#123381, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 3

I would be concerned with where the dent is in relation to the oil pickup and the size of said dent. Drop the oilpan and take a look around.

I contributed to the Wiki.

740 turbo brickJan-05-09 10:05 AM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#123385, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 4

My oil pan is dented also, how I dont know because its at stock height. But I havent had any problems and my mechanic said the pickup will still function.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

foggy45Jan-05-09 05:16 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#123403, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 5

as long as the dent doesn't interfere with the function of the oil pick up tube your fine

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

RoninEclipse2GJan-05-09 05:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#123405, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by foggy45
as long as the dent doesn't interfere with the function of the oil pick up tube your fine

exactly. most of our pans have been dented at one point or another, there's pretty good clearance between the bottom of the pan and the pickup tube. if you're really worried pull the pan and see if the pickup tube is obstructed or damaged

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

scorpo86Jan-10-09 12:18 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#123506, "RE: dented oil pan?"
In response to Reply # 7

when I first bought my car (it was in parts) some stupied person jacked the car up with the oil pan. without me knowing the damn oil pick up tube had a cracked. after the rebuild the damn thing seized up. IT was bad....

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #123376 Previous topic | Next topic