Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #122466
View in threaded mode

Subject: "#&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
saikouJan-18-06 12:23 PM
Member since Nov 24th 2005
454 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122466, "#&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"

I spent about 25 minutes yelling the 'f' word under my car... I think I raised some eyebrows in my neighborhood. Anyways, I am having a very hard time trying to take out my original CPS. I removed the 10mm bolt holding it onto the block, but then it only turns slighty up & down. Doesn't come out at all when I pull on it. Chiltons says to just remove it, so I'm guessing it should be a lot easier than it's actually becoming. Anyone have any "techniques" to get this little biotch off? I called a shop that I trust (expensive though) and they wanted to charge me $200 for 2 and 1/2 hours of labor! WTF?

I'm only fortunate to have started with the actual sensor, than cutting the original connector and splicing in the new one.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
TeamDR1665Jan-18-06 12:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#122467, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 0

If you can spin it all the way around on it's axis, it should come right out. If you are replacing it, you might try *gently* getting a slotted screwdriver under the edge of it to get a bit more leverage, but I don't know that I would advise that.

Unless the crankshaft "self-clearanced" things severely, it should just pop right out. Try pulling it out while you twist it while wearing gloves or wrapping a rag around it so you can get a better grip on things.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-18-06 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#122468, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 1

Pull harder.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

sikeJan-18-06 12:55 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#122469, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by DarkOne
Pull harder.

x2. It can be a bitch sometimes, I've tried to remove them on cars at the junkyard before and had a hell of a time. Theres an o-ring on it that makes it a little tough. Keep twisting/rocking and pulling, it will come out.

saikouJan-18-06 12:58 PM
454 posts,
#122470, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 1
Jan-18-06 12:59 PM by saikou

Originally posted by DR1665
If you can spin it all the way around on it's axis, it should come right out. If you are replacing it, you might try *gently* getting a slotted screwdriver under the edge of it to get a bit more leverage, but I don't know that I would advise that. Unless the crankshaft "self-clearanced" things severely, it should just pop right out. Try pulling it out while you twist it while wearing gloves or wrapping a rag around it so you can get a better grip on things.

I think I'll try the glove thing tomorrow... although I honestly do not like being under a $20 Auto Zone jack and two emergency road-side jacks as jack-stands (the ones that come in the trunk). I could barely turn my head side to side without that damn splash gaurd under the alternator smacking me on the nose, or the oil filter hitting my forehead...

On a more serious note, when you say to spin the sensor all the way around on it's axis, does it have to already be out part of the way? Because I believe I felt some resistance when I made the sensor rotate clockwise (facing the sensor), as if it were hitting something; probably part of the block. I think it rotated about 1/4th of the way, and this is with the sensor being all the way in the block. I agree with not necessarily using a slotted screw driver for leverage, in fear of snapping a part of the plastic on the sensor... that'd suck. I'll give it another go when I get out of class tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Edit:
Woah! Saw everyone else's posts... I guess I'm a wuss.

BlackMagicJan-18-06 01:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#122471, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by saikou
I honestly do not like being under a $20 Auto Zone jack and two emergency road-side jacks as jack-stands (the ones that come in the trunk).

get.....safer.....jackstands

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

95_ESi_PersonJan-18-06 02:48 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#122472, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 5

2 Jackstands at Walmart ~$15

saikouJan-18-06 04:45 PM
454 posts,
#122473, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by 95_ESi_Person
2 Jackstands at Walmart ~$15

Really? I did not know this, Wal-Mart, here I come...

sikeJan-18-06 05:07 PM
Member since Aug 06th 2003
531 posts,
#122474, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 7

Got mine there a few years ago. Work like a charm. I strongly suggest not going under the car without stands. That is life or death.

sonikbewmJan-18-06 06:35 PM
Member since Dec 01st 2001
4011 posts,
#122475, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 8

I just used a flat head screw driver on mine and it popped right out without a problem.

Jason
'11 Ford Mustang GT/CS
'11 Ford Mustang V6 6-Speed (SOLD)
'04 Nissan 350z Touring (SOLD)
'95 Turbo Eclipse GS (SOLD and will be missed)
'90 Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

saikouJan-19-06 11:18 AM
454 posts,
#122476, "RE: #&*%! Crank Shaft Position Sensor Removal"
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-19-06 11:20 AM by saikou

Phew...

Managed to get that old crankshaft position sensor off... merely used a rag for better grip and popped that bad boy out of there. It was pretty much all downhill from there; placed the new sensor into the block and spliced in the new connector. However, it was a bit difficult having all the blood rushing down my arms and having very little room to work with, but it's do-able. Also invested in some jackstands.

Hopefully this will take care of the random Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor codes that I get (Camshaft had already been replaced), as well as the car randomly shutting off.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #122466 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic