Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #111098
View in linear mode

Subject: "EGR mod? My idea." Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratormicyekSep-17-03 03:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#111098, "EGR mod? My idea."

I posted my own thread so it wouldn't get lost in the other one about the EGR system. What if just took off the tube and blocked off the opening of course, and left the solenoid with the vacuum line to the TB on (like Matt did). And some how filtered the "clean" air the solenoid is now exposed to. Leaving the vacuum tube on would allow the air to get into the intake and not 'causing the "insufficient flow" cel to trip. Or does it need a positive pressure forcing air into the intake? But I think that the vacuum would help that issue...especially if I upgraded the vacuum tube. What do you guys think? Or am I way off base here?

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamXtremeRS, Sep-17-03 04:34 PM, #1
RE: EGR mod? My idea., Moderatormicyek, Sep-17-03 05:07 PM, #2
      RE: EGR mod? My idea., Teametx, Sep-17-03 05:22 PM, #3
           RE: EGR mod? My idea., lickscissors, Sep-17-03 05:29 PM, #4
           RE: EGR mod? My idea., Moderatormicyek, Sep-18-03 01:40 AM, #5
                RE: EGR mod? My idea., Attrayant, Sep-18-03 03:13 AM, #6
                     RE: EGR mod? My idea., lickscissors, Sep-18-03 05:35 AM, #7
                          RE: EGR mod? My idea., TKI, Sep-18-03 11:23 AM, #8
                               RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamXtremeRS, Sep-18-03 11:41 AM, #9
                                    RE: EGR mod? My idea., TKI, Sep-18-03 12:21 PM, #10
                                    RE: EGR mod? My idea., WickedESi, Sep-19-03 06:18 AM, #11
                                    RE: EGR mod? My idea., mrj82, Sep-20-03 02:01 PM, #16
           RE: EGR mod? My idea., WickedESi, Sep-19-03 06:22 AM, #12
                RE: EGR mod? My idea., TKI, Sep-19-03 06:45 PM, #13
                     RE: EGR mod? My idea., MotoFool, Sep-20-03 10:22 AM, #14
                          RE: EGR mod? My idea., WickedESi, Sep-20-03 01:42 PM, #15
                               RE: EGR mod? My idea., TKI, Sep-21-03 06:41 AM, #17
                                    RE: EGR mod? My idea., Dirty, Sep-22-03 07:49 AM, #18
                                         RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamMichael_97RS, Sep-22-03 02:12 PM, #19
                                         RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamXtremeRS, Sep-22-03 03:03 PM, #20
                                              RE: EGR mod? My idea., The1Bill, Sep-22-03 04:45 PM, #21
                                                   RE: EGR mod? My idea., lickscissors, Sep-23-03 07:50 AM, #22
                                                        RE: EGR mod? My idea., Dirty, Sep-23-03 03:57 PM, #23
                                                        RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamXtremeRS, Sep-23-03 04:03 PM, #25
                                                        RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamMetalJim, Sep-23-03 03:58 PM, #24
                                                             RE: EGR mod? My idea., lickscissors, Sep-23-03 04:39 PM, #26
                                                             RE: EGR mod? My idea., Dirty, Sep-23-03 04:41 PM, #27
                                                                  RE: EGR mod? My idea., TeamXtremeRS, Sep-23-03 06:11 PM, #28
                                                                       RE: EGR mod? My idea., Dirty, Sep-24-03 11:53 AM, #29
                                                                            RE: EGR mod? My idea., The1Bill, Sep-24-03 04:30 PM, #30
                                                                                 RE: EGR mod? My idea., WickedESi, Sep-25-03 11:58 AM, #31
                                                                                      RE: EGR mod? My idea., mrj82, Sep-26-03 07:40 PM, #32
                                                                                           RE: EGR mod? My idea., babybeclipse, Sep-30-03 04:47 AM, #33

TeamXtremeRSSep-17-03 04:34 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#111099, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 0

Well as far as i know, the actual EGR pipe that goes from the head to the TB, is always exposed to manifold vacume. So if you disconnected the pipe at the EGR valve itself, you would have one big air leak right into the TB. So you would have to devise a solenoid valve to connect to the pipe that leads to the TB, filter it, and that may work. Not sure if normal engine vac will be enough to not trip a CEL, instead of using exhaust pressure like normal either..its worth a try though. I just let my CEL shine nice and bright I'm way beyond that point anyway..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratormicyekSep-17-03 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#111100, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 1

yeah...I think I'm just gonna let mine shine on too...especially sense I had a cell before I even started to go turbo...damn EVAP system anywa I've been thinking about taking that bulb out and wiring in an LED in an inconspicuous place so only I can tell it's on...might look less getto...unless having a CEL is a badge of honor for DSM's ...LOL

getty up

-kent-

TeametxSep-17-03 05:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#111101, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 2

all fast DSM's have CEL's!

I was thinking about tring to find some kind of solenoid that I could hook up to the egr sol harness so it would open when it got voltage and let air in. It would be a hose from the air filter to get clean air, and to the solenoid then to the big nipple on the upper intake where my pcv used to go. Once I get my car up and running (hopefully this weekend) im going to put the fluke on the egr sol and look up the diagrams to see if i can find a solenoid that will function on the same current.

lickscissorsSep-17-03 05:29 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#111102, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 3

ummm....i feel dumb asking this, but what is the egr mod?....ive heard about it before but i didnt think it really helped much.... whats does it do?

screw flanders

ModeratormicyekSep-18-03 01:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#111103, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 4
Sep-18-03 01:43 AM by micyek

We're just brainstorming to find a way to eliminate the EGR system without getting a CEL. And it doesn't do anthing for performace, it just geting rid of that hot tube that has a tendency to melt wire looms. ANd for me it'll free up some spac

getty up

-kent-

AttrayantSep-18-03 03:13 AM
Member since May 25th 2003
286 posts,
#111104, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 5

>We're just brainstorming to find a way to eliminate the EGR
>system without getting a CEL. And it doesn't do anthing for
>performace, it just geting rid of that hot tube that has a
>tendency to melt wire looms. ANd for me it'll free up some
>spac

Shit I'm not the only one that hates that fucking tube? I had my o2 sensor wire melt and ground out against that causing a bitchload of problems and then I had my fuel pump power wire melt against it and it kept blowing fuses and causing fuel pressure to drop like w0ah! EGR can suck it.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS - Sold
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4

lickscissorsSep-18-03 05:35 AM
1206 posts,
#111105, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 6

yea....ive had shit burn on that....but i always thought it somehow helped with performance....didnt it help for performance in the 1gs?.... i wouldnt mind getting rid of that thing..

screw flanders

TKISep-18-03 11:23 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
528 posts,
#111106, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 7

Does anyone make a blockoff kit? I would love to get rid of it.

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)
'94 Plymouth Laser RS (sold)
'04 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t (sold)
'08 Silverado LTZ (daily)

TeamXtremeRSSep-18-03 11:41 AM
6329 posts,
#111107, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 8

>Does anyone make a blockoff kit? I would love to get rid of
>it.

YOu can easily make your own, thats what I did. I used some scrap aluminum(around 14-16 gauge) and traced the EGR gaskets onto that. Cut out the pattern, and driled the 2 bolt holes into the metal. Then got 2 new EGR pipe gaskets, and just bolted that down to the EGR pipe outlet on the head, and the other on the TB. Works great. Mopar does make a block off kit too, but I'm not sure on the part#. I'm sure someone has that info. Its just too easy and simple to make yourself, not to mention really cheap.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TKISep-18-03 12:21 PM
528 posts,
#111108, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 9

Is the actually EGR pipe have a bolt mounted around the middle of the tude? I tried to take it off one day, but I couldn't get it off. I took the bolts loose from the block and from the manifold, but I acted like it was still attached somewhere in the middle.

Any suggestions?

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)

WickedESiSep-19-03 06:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#111109, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 10

There are just four bolts (2 at each end). It might need to be somewhat "forced" of, since the carbon buildup could freeze it on there.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

mrj82Sep-20-03 02:01 PM
Member since Jun 17th 2003
283 posts,
#111110, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 9

>>Does anyone make a blockoff kit? I would love to get rid
>of
>>it.
>
>YOu can easily make your own, thats what I did. I used some
>scrap aluminum(around 14-16 gauge) and traced the EGR gaskets
>onto that. Cut out the pattern, and driled the 2 bolt holes
>into the metal. Then got 2 new EGR pipe gaskets, and just
>bolted that down to the EGR pipe outlet on the head, and the
>other on the TB. Works great. Mopar does make a block off kit
>too, but I'm not sure on the part#. I'm sure someone has that
>info. Its just too easy and simple to make yourself, not to
>mention really cheap.

Yeah thats the right idea, and can't you put a resistor inline on the harness to get rid of the CEL?

WickedESiSep-19-03 06:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#111111, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 3

>all fast DSM's have CEL's!

Not mine, I took it out , I have a pocketlogger though, so I can see all the error codes.

As far as the EGR goes, I just cut a 1/8" steel plate out with a plasma cutter, and bolted it onto the head. I cut out two peices out of a grape soda can using the gasket for the template for the intake manifold connection.

And it was said otherwise here, your EGR connects to the intake manifold not to the TB.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

TKISep-19-03 06:45 PM
528 posts,
#111112, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 12

OK. Does taking the EGR off make it run better? Also, is the code light going to be on all the time?

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)

MotoFoolSep-20-03 10:22 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#111113, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 13

vitor makes block off kits...

Bill

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

WickedESiSep-20-03 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#111114, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 14

It makes a little difference, you won't notice till you clean out your intake, tb, and intake manifold, and also block off the breather input on the intake and put a filter on the breater pipe on the cover. (Then it's just taking in pure air.)

TKISep-21-03 06:41 AM
528 posts,
#111115, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 15

Does anyone have any pics of this being done, or how to do it because I am not sure about where to put the filter on the intake.

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)

DirtySep-22-03 07:49 AM
Member since May 08th 2002
1405 posts,
#111116, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 17

Would it be possible to reroute the pipe coming from the head to your downpipe? I know that can be done easily with a welder and pipe bender, but what about exhaust being blown back into the pipe? Could this work? Any ideas?

"Natty Ride"

http://dirty.thisfreedumb.com/

TeamMichael_97RSSep-22-03 02:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#111117, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 18

I think there's a bolt in the middle connecting the pipe to the head... not sure, take a look.

I think the resistor I use is a 100 ohm, 10 watt resistor and I haven't gotten an EGR code yet.

I hate the EGR, I don't want to waste any real inventive thought into trying to jerry rig a way around it. I like it gone!

I have a CEL, the bulb is in my tool chest.

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Smooth idle? We don't need no stinking smooth idle.

Mods List:
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

TeamXtremeRSSep-22-03 03:03 PM
6329 posts,
#111118, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 18

>Would it be possible to reroute the pipe coming from the head
>to your downpipe? I know that can be done easily with a welder
>and pipe bender, but what about exhaust being blown back into
>the pipe? Could this work? Any ideas?

I guess I dont see the point in doing this? You will still get the insuficient flow CEL as if it were blocked off or totally gone. Unless you have other intentions for this? Just curious.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

The1BillSep-22-03 04:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#111119, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 20

Just wanting to add some complexity, I guess. I have thought about bolting the valve to the back of the intake mani, tapping it for a barb, putting on a filter, and sucking in some fresh air. Might work...
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

lickscissorsSep-23-03 07:50 AM
1206 posts,
#111120, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 21

will this screw up emmisions?

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

DirtySep-23-03 03:57 PM
1405 posts,
#111121, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 22

>I guess I dont see the point in doing this? You will still get the >insuficient flow CEL as if it were blocked off or totally gone. >Unless you have other intentions for this? Just curious.

Why would you get a CEL? Your still letting it flow, except it's going into the exhaust instead of the intake.

"Natty Ride"

TeamXtremeRSSep-23-03 04:03 PM
6329 posts,
#111122, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 23

>
>Why would you get a CEL? Your still letting it flow, except
>it's going into the exhaust instead of the intake.
>

Well you need to have the air go into the intake, because the ECU performs a test of the EGR. It closes off the idle air control valve(IAC), and opens up the EGR a bit. If the ECU detects that the needed air is not coming from the EGR, then it trips the CEL. So if you route that line from the head to the exhaust, it does no good at all..waste of time..

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

TeamMetalJimSep-23-03 03:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#111123, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 22

Well if the EGR CEL is on then your emissions are already screwed.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
15.901 @ 88.34mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

lickscissorsSep-23-03 04:39 PM
1206 posts,
#111124, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 24

the emmisions place i take my car to doesnt care about the cel... just how the emmisions are, so i was just wondering if it would screw up emmisions, the actual test...

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

DirtySep-23-03 04:41 PM
1405 posts,
#111125, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 24

Damn. All this time I thought that that tube was only used for blowing the shit back into our intake. I still don't know what your talking about, but I do believe you.

"Natty Ride"

TeamXtremeRSSep-23-03 06:11 PM
6329 posts,
#111126, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 27
Sep-23-03 06:12 PM by XtremeRS

>Damn. All this time I thought that that tube was only used
>for blowing the shit back into our intake. I still don't know
>what your talking about, but I do believe you.

Well, it does. The EGR recirculates spent exhaust gases back into the intake mainifold. The pipe goes from the cylinder head, to the intake manifold, right by the throttle body. If you were to re-route the pipe to go from the head, to the exhaust manifold, then you are doing nothing really, as far as the CEL is concerned. Its just like you blocked off the EGR, or removed the actual pipe. But it still does not address the issue of the EGR test the ECU performs, when the IAC will close off, and will need the extra air from the EGR to enter into the intake manifold. Rerouting that pipe into the exhaust will not let air get into the intak mani, and trip the CEL, just as if you blocked that pipe off, or removed it.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

DirtySep-24-03 11:53 AM
1405 posts,
#111127, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 28

I can dig it now. Thanx dude.

"Natty Ride"

The1BillSep-24-03 04:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#111128, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 29

Your NOX emissions would go up signifigantly. Might pass, probably wouldn't, though. I recommend getting an inspection sticker with a hundred dollar bill.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

WickedESiSep-25-03 11:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#111129, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 30

The EGR just sends the exahust gas back through intake manifold to ultimately lower the output temperature by, bassically, smuthering the intake air. When the ECU does the check it looks at a combination of things to see that it worked properly such as the o2 sensor(s).

mrj82Sep-26-03 07:40 PM
Member since Jun 17th 2003
283 posts,
#111130, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 31

I got a question, will a messed up egr cuz the car to idle high? Like 2300 rpm high? I can't figure it out, I've tried everything I can think of, I took the vacuum line off the egr vacuum thing and stuck it directly on my egr and it idled normal, around 850rpm or so. You think thats what my problem is? I'd hate to spend $125 bucks on a new one and it do nothing for me.

babybeclipseSep-30-03 04:47 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2002
3083 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#111131, "RE: EGR mod? My idea."
In response to Reply # 32

Damn, I like that idea. Yo, once I get my car to my buddies shop I think we are going to try and fab that idea up.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #111098 Previous topic | Next topic