Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #103433
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?" Previous topic | Next topic
1995talonMar-10-07 11:32 AM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
626 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103433, "HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"

yesterday the car was driving fine,today i started it up and its misfiring like crazy.at idle it starts at 1.5-2k and seems to stop after that,but while driving its all the way thur the band except for every now and then its like something gives way and i get full power.

i just poped in new plugs and that didn't help so i think its either the coil or the wires..is there anyone near bristol,tn that will let me try theirs out to see if thats it?if so you can email me at talclipse@gmail.com or give me a call at 423 963 6996..

Leather seats,Hood,Hatch,Black apillars,black door sills,floor mats,CF gauge cluster cover,chrome gauge cluster trim rings

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, TKI, Mar-10-07 01:50 PM, #1
RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-10-07 02:57 PM, #2
RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-12-07 04:21 AM, #3
RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-12-07 01:14 PM, #4
      RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-13-07 03:12 AM, #5
           RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-13-07 05:01 AM, #6
                RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-13-07 05:30 AM, #7
                     RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-13-07 06:53 AM, #8
                          RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-13-07 07:48 AM, #9
                               RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-13-07 09:04 AM, #10
                                    RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-13-07 09:11 AM, #11
                                         RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-13-07 12:50 PM, #12
                                              RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-13-07 12:54 PM, #13
                                                   RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-13-07 01:29 PM, #14
                                                        RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-14-07 02:58 AM, #15
                                                             RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, 1995talon, Mar-14-07 05:13 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-14-07 05:31 AM, #17

TKIMar-10-07 01:50 PM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
528 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#103434, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 0

I might be down that way next week. I live about 40 minutes from Bristol. I'll check back if I get to come down. You going to street fights any??

'95 Eclipse RS (sold)
'99 Eclipse GS OZ (sold)
'90 Eclipse GST (sold)
'90 Talon TSI AWD (sold)
'94 Plymouth Laser RS (sold)
'04 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8t (sold)
'08 Silverado LTZ (daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1995talonMar-10-07 02:57 PM
626 posts,
#103435, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 1

naw im not really into drags..well LMK

Leather seats,Hood,Hatch,Black apillars,black door sills,floor mats,CF gauge cluster cover,chrome gauge cluster trim rings

RoninEclipse2GMar-12-07 04:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103448, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 0

new plugs? check your wires, that seems to be the problem I've always had when wires go bad for me, is it more noticable after the car has warmed?

1995talonMar-12-07 01:14 PM
626 posts,
#103462, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
new plugs? check your wires, that seems to be the problem I've always had when wires go bad for me, is it more noticable after the car has warmed?

nope no change in cold vs hot.from the time its started till you cut it off the miss is there..i took it to auto zone and read the codes its throwin and it said there were 3 misfires reported..the only time the mis gets better or worse is when your going up a hill(LOTS WORSE,sounds like a piston is going to come out) and when whatever gives and you get full power.

the wires(9mm ractive) have been on there for about a year and maybe 5-7k on them.i checked them over and outside of a little durt they look and feel new. i also dont hear any achin..

my new set of ractive wires shipped today so maybe that will fix it.

RoninEclipse2GMar-13-07 03:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103464, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 4

no oil in your spark plug wells? I've had the valve cover gromets go bad and leak into the spark plug wells and cause arcing there

1995talonMar-13-07 05:01 AM
626 posts,
#103473, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-13-07 05:23 AM by 1995talon

no oil in your spark plug wells? I've had the valve cover gromets go bad and leak into the spark plug wells and cause arcing there

i didnt see any on the plugs when i pulled them.

also keep in mind that the car was running fine just the day b4 this started(parked the car and everything was fine,fired it up the next day and the mis was there).so i would think that something like a gasket or even the wires wouldnt be fine one day and bad the next,rather it seems to be electrical either the coil or a sensor.

RoninEclipse2GMar-13-07 05:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103475, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 6

which cylinders were misfiring?

1995talonMar-13-07 06:53 AM
626 posts,
#103478, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 7

which cylinders were misfiring?

not for sure bro.

RoninEclipse2GMar-13-07 07:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103483, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 8
Mar-13-07 07:48 AM by RoninEclipse2G

if it's one and four or two and three it's your coil, the setup is one coil pack for two cylinders, the two packs built into the same unit, check it again and find out what the specific cyls are. if you got three codes, chances are that you got 2 specific misfires and a random/multiple misfire code

1995talonMar-13-07 09:04 AM
626 posts,
#103489, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 9

if it's one and four or two and three it's your coil, the setup is one coil pack for two cylinders, the two packs built into the same unit, check it again and find out what the specific cyls are. if you got three codes, chances are that you got 2 specific misfires and a random/multiple misfire code

im not getting 3 codes,just one code sayin 3 misfires happend.how should i test which cylinders are misfirin?just take #1/4 wires off then #2/3?

RoninEclipse2GMar-13-07 09:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103490, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 10

that's a good way to test, do one at a time just to be sure, if there's no change on a matching set then you know what's bad

1995talonMar-13-07 12:50 PM
626 posts,
#103496, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 11

ok i found "A" prob i dont know if its "THE" prob tho..

started the car up and the mis was gone for a few revs then it came back.
popped off #1 wire and it ran like ass.
popped off #2 wire not much of a change.
popped off #3 wire not much of a change.
popped off #4 wire and it ran like ass.

now at this point i figured yeap its the coil but after messing with the #2-3 wires the mis went away for a few revs.so i took those off again and this time on #3 it started popped and aching and after checking it over the shaft that goes into the cyl has holes in it,not really a crack or break more like archin happing on the inside and over time has ate at the shaft.

also i found some oil in cyl #1 and 2.not a flood or any standing more like a drop or 2 just enough to coat the tip of the shaft.i checked to see if any oil was running into the cyl while running and didn't see any..

RoninEclipse2GMar-13-07 12:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103497, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 12

if there's holes in the side of the boot, you might be lucky and just need the new wires, could be a prob that just never was enough to be noticable, start with the new wires and watch the

1995talonMar-13-07 01:29 PM
626 posts,
#103498, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 13

if there's holes in the side of the boot, you might be lucky and just need the new wires, could be a prob that just never was enough to be noticable, start with the new wires and watch the

and watch what?

RoninEclipse2GMar-14-07 02:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103501, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 14

sorry, watch the oil in the plug wells, it might just be spillage from topping off, but it could be bad VC grommets, if the wires don't fix it, almost certain it's the coil

1995talonMar-14-07 05:13 AM
626 posts,
#103503, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 15

sorry, watch the oil in the plug wells, it might just be spillage from topping off, but it could be bad VC grommets, if the wires don't fix it, almost certain it's the coil

cool.i have a set of wires and a coil coming so i should be good..the grommets that you are talkin about are the round(around 1.5")rubber gaskets that come in the VC set right?

RoninEclipse2GMar-14-07 05:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#103504, "RE: HELP With misfire...anyone near Bristol,TN?"
In response to Reply # 16

you got it!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #103433 Previous topic | Next topic