Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133690
View in linear mode

Subject: "420a wont idle!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
WillyPhisterApr-04-11 04:44 PM
Member since Aug 23rd 2009
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133690, "420a wont idle!!!"

This has been going on for over a year now. the car will go through phases where it doesn't want to idle at all. usually brought on by cold ass weather. Some times it will start to idle fine once shes been on the road a while and sometimes not. She usually idles fine during the hot summer months though. What do guys think I should do first? 96 GS with 207,xxx miles. Plugs are still good, they're about a year old, I just got a new fuel filter, just got new plug wires, just put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner stuff not too long ago, I also used a bottle of seafoam recently (I used the whole bottle via vacuum line though, none in the fuel or oil).

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 420a wont idle!!!, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-04-11 06:34 PM, #1
RE: 420a wont idle!!!, GsNewbie, Apr-04-11 07:52 PM, #2
RE: 420a wont idle!!!, WillyPhister, Apr-04-11 08:38 PM, #3
      RE: 420a wont idle!!!, Ebster1085, Apr-05-11 07:40 AM, #4
           RE: 420a wont idle!!!, WillyPhister, Apr-05-11 08:21 PM, #5
                RE: 420a wont idle!!!, AdministratorCODE4, Apr-05-11 08:22 PM, #6
                     RE: 420a wont idle!!!, WillyPhister, Apr-05-11 08:25 PM, #7

AdministratorCODE4Apr-04-11 06:34 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133691, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Any ECU trouble codes present? Check your IAC? Vacuum leak?

Have cleaned the IAC and TB according to the article - http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Cleaning_IAC - ??

If you search for "idle problems" you will have numerous articles to read through where countless suggestions have been made.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

GsNewbieApr-04-11 07:52 PM
Member since Oct 01st 2010
121 posts,
#133694, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Had same problem turned out to be iac (idle air control)

WillyPhisterApr-04-11 08:38 PM
13 posts,
#133698, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-04-11 08:39 PM by WillyPhister

Originally posted by CODE4
Any ECU trouble codes present? Check your IAC? Vacuum leak? Have cleaned the IAC and TB according to the article - http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Cleaning_IAC - ?? If you search for "idle problems" you will have numerous articles to read through where countless suggestions have been made.

I had my ecu checked at the end of last winter (shortly after the problem started) and the only thing that came up was the o2 sensor but I already knew that when I bought the car. I really dont think its a vacuum leak because it doesn't ever have a rough idle, it either idles or drops right down and dies without hesitation, when it does idle it idles smooth. cleaning the aic looks like a great idea and Im gonna try that tomorrow.

Ebster1085Apr-05-11 07:40 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
#133702, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

If your pre cat 02 sensor is bad, the car will idle and run poorly. Have you changed it?

I would also go ahead and pull the IAC, thoroughly clean it, and reinstall. I had idle issues in the past, and cleaning up the IAC worked like a charm

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

WillyPhisterApr-05-11 08:21 PM
13 posts,
#133712, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-05-11 08:23 PM by WillyPhister

I've never replaced my pre cat o2 sensor, its been bad for as long as i've had the car. I'll put a new one in someday when i remember. but anyways i went ahead and pulled my throttle body off tonight and HOLY SHIT it was soooo gummed up, i couldnt believe how much sludge build up there was. So i got out the carb cleaner and cleaned the TB and IAC until they were spotless and put it back on the car and she idles fine. I cant wait to see how it does tomorrow morning. I took pics too.

AdministratorCODE4Apr-05-11 08:22 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#133713, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by WillyPhister
I've never replaced my pre cat o2 sensor, its been bad for as long as i've had the car.

You are sacrificing performance and economy by neglecting it.

---

2012 2500HD LML

WillyPhisterApr-05-11 08:25 PM
13 posts,
#133714, "RE: 420a wont idle!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by WillyPhister I've never replaced my pre cat o2 sensor, its been bad for as long as i've had the car.
You are sacrificing performance and economy by neglecting it.

yep I know, I'll get right on it mom.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133690 Previous topic | Next topic