Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133409
View in linear mode

Subject: "206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating" Previous topic | Next topic
WillyPhisterMar-17-11 01:09 PM
Member since Aug 23rd 2009
13 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133409, "206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"

I have a 1996 GS with 206,00 miles on it, just a couple of weeks a ago its started hesitating at lower rpms, now it has developed a knock or detonation or ping or whatever you want to call it where detonation occurs at the wrong time and you hear a thunk in the cylinder just like you would if the timing were off. this happens at lower rpms or when i accelerate hard. my engine is totally stock, im not a tuner but i certainly would be if i had the money. im trying to figure out why this is happening, i've only had the car for a year and a half and i have no idea when the last time she had a new timing belt put in. maybe the timing belt is really old and has stretched to the point where my timing would be slightly off. i put in new ngk plugs just over a year ago. i can post a picture of the how they look, they all look the same. im gonna take them back out and re gap em today, what do you guys recommend for a gap? i have no idea how old my plug wires are, i might replace them too, but i dont think they're the culprit. my car also doesnt idle well. its kind of always been like that though, it will go through a period when it doesnt like to idle and then it will go through periods where it idles like a champ and i'll forget all about it and then it'll be back again, usually this this is brought on by cold weather, it always idles fine during the hot summer. so what are your guys thoughts?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-17-11 02:05 PM, #1
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, WillyPhister, Mar-20-11 11:07 AM, #9
      RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-23-11 03:55 PM, #10
           RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, Wes Tank, Mar-24-11 02:38 PM, #11
                RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, WillyPhister, Apr-04-11 04:35 PM, #12
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, WillyPhister, Mar-18-11 02:46 PM, #2
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, ez, Mar-18-11 04:49 PM, #3
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, Slo2g, Mar-18-11 09:16 PM, #4
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-19-11 09:09 AM, #5
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, eclipserstturbo, Mar-19-11 08:01 PM, #6
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, eclipserstturbo, Mar-19-11 08:01 PM, #7
RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating, Moderatorteklein, Mar-19-11 10:07 PM, #8

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-17-11 02:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133410, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 0

Could be a miss. Replace those plug wires and ohm out your coil pack to make sure it isn't failing.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

WillyPhisterMar-20-11 11:07 AM
13 posts,
#133423, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 1

Okay plug wires it is, of course thats the most logical place to start. But i really dont think thats whats causing the detonation, but replacing them is the only way to know for sure. BTW Im sorry for my incredibly rude behavior, you guys have every right to know my real name so I went ahead and updated my profile.

RoninEclipse2GMar-23-11 03:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133461, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 9

Well if you're gonna use a pseudonym it might as well be a funny one.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Wes TankMar-24-11 02:38 PM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#133483, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 10

Plugs and wires. Report back.

Also, my forum handle is my name sooooo I don't think it's that much of a big deal. lol

WillyPhisterApr-04-11 04:35 PM
13 posts,
#133689, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 11

okay problem solved, just plug wires thank gawd. I like to expect the worse that way Im pleasantly surprised when the simple logical solution works.

WillyPhisterMar-18-11 02:46 PM
13 posts,
#133412, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 0

and to whoever put "This guy thinks its funny to be a lazy ass and put John Doe in his Profile as a name." under my posts (i dont know if mods do this or its default thing on this site) YOU CAN GO F*** YOURSELF. MY LEGAL NAME IS PERSONAL INFORMATION AND I DONT GO AROUND THE INTERNET GIVING IT AWAY, ITS NOBODY'S BUSINESS HERE AT 2GNT AND IT IS IN NO WAY RELEVANT TO THE QUESTIONS I ASK HERE.

ezMar-18-11 04:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#133413, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 2

Change your wires.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Slo2gMar-18-11 09:16 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#133414, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by WillyPhister
YOU CAN GO F*** YOURSELF. MY LEGAL NAME IS PERSONAL INFORMATION AND I DONT GO AROUND THE INTERNET GIVING IT AWAY, ITS NOBODY'S BUSINESS HERE AT 2GNT AND IT IS IN NO WAY RELEVANT TO THE QUESTIONS I ASK HERE.

Take it easy killer, most of use that frequent the site are on a first name basis. Just saying, its that kind of community here...

RoninEclipse2GMar-19-11 09:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133415, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 2

and to whoever put "This guy thinks its funny to be a lazy ass and put John Doe in his Profile as a name." under my posts (i dont know if mods do this or its default thing on this site) YOU CAN GO F*** YOURSELF. MY LEGAL NAME IS PERSONAL INFORMATION AND I DONT GO AROUND THE INTERNET GIVING IT AWAY, ITS NOBODY'S BUSINESS HERE AT 2GNT AND IT IS IN NO WAY RELEVANT TO THE QUESTIONS I ASK HERE.

Actually having your first name in your profile IS a requirement for membership here. If you don't like it you can go deal with the retards on tuners that won't help you. We're a very close group and many of us know eachother in real life beyond the internet. You're welcome to join us and have the support of an amazing community of car guys (and a few girls) but chill the fuck out and put a damn name in your profile before you get booted. The changing of your sig was someone's fun way of reminding you of the rules around here.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

eclipserstturboMar-19-11 08:01 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#133416, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by WillyPhisterThis guy thinks its funny to be a lazy ass and put John Doe in his Profile as a name." under my posts

ROTF that's hilarious!

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

eclipserstturboMar-19-11 08:01 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2008
281 posts,
#133417, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by WillyPhisterThis guy thinks its funny to be a lazy ass and put John Doe in his Profile as a name.

ROTF that's hilarious!

I CONTRIBUTED TO THE WIKI!
ah... turbo. I love the turbo, the boost, the speed, the sound.
and its all better when you do it yourself. cheaper too.

ModeratortekleinMar-19-11 10:07 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#133418, "RE: 206,000 miles on my 420a and it started detonating"
In response to Reply # 2

Wow. Not very stable are we?

Also, +900 for plug wires.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133409 Previous topic | Next topic