Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133373
View in linear mode

Subject: "Homemade smoke diagnostic tool" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCMar-14-11 02:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133373, "Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
Mar-14-11 02:49 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

I'm hearing an exhaust leak get louder over the past few days, and if it's the exhaust manifold, i'm gonna flip my shit.

Anyone ever had experience making a DIY smoke diagnostic/evap tester tool out of a party smoke machine for pinpointing vac and exhaust leaks? I think $50 vs. $900 is worth the try. Wanted to get some thoughts on it

Best thread I was able to find on it: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31963

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, Moderatorteklein, Mar-14-11 02:53 PM, #1
RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, 420agreenvilleSC, Mar-14-11 04:48 PM, #2
      RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, Slo2g, Mar-15-11 09:48 PM, #3
           RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-16-11 02:47 AM, #4
                RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, 420agreenvilleSC, Mar-16-11 07:15 AM, #5
                     RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, eclipse9504, Mar-16-11 09:39 AM, #6
                          RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, Slo2g, Mar-16-11 10:41 AM, #7
                          RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-16-11 11:38 AM, #8
                          RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-16-11 01:20 PM, #9
                               RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool, 420agreenvilleSC, Mar-17-11 10:03 AM, #10

ModeratortekleinMar-14-11 02:53 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#133374, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, if its the manifold to head, look for black on the head.

Otherwise should be easy to find.

But I guess it could work if it could seal well enough.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCMar-14-11 04:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#133375, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-14-11 04:49 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

well, it was just the cheap paper wastegate gasket. blew out on the bottom where it's thinnest, but I still am interested in making this DIY machine. Would help w/ exhaust and vac leaks

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Slo2gMar-15-11 09:48 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#133392, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 2

Most of the time the smoke machines are made for TINY leaks in the evap system and what not. It could be helpful for vac leaks too but a boost leak tester will be cheaper than that machine and work just as well imo. Exhaust leaks are normally VERY easy to find, just may take some time.

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-16-11 02:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#133393, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Slo2g
Exhaust leaks are normally VERY easy to find, just may take some time.

Yup. Just block off the tailpipe and viola, find the escaping air.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

420agreenvilleSCMar-16-11 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#133394, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-16-11 07:18 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Yup. Just block off the tailpipe and viola, find the escaping air.

wouldn't that cause damaging amounts of backpressure and also possibly cause the car to stall out IF there weren't any leaks? Wouldn't smoke be the most effective route? sounds like you guys are against smoke diagnostics

i agree w/ the boost leak tester method for intake leaks, but this would be for both intake & exhaust leaks. Just shove the hose into tailpipe and stuff a t-shirt or rag to keep smoke from escaping. The smoke'll come out from leakage points. Theres a few vids on youtube on it being used that way. useful

eclipse9504Mar-16-11 09:39 AM
Member since Nov 28th 2005
22 posts,
#133395, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 5

An easy way to find an exhaust leak is to put a little tranny fluid through any vacuum line and you will see smoke escape through where the leak is coming from. Just be carefull and use a little bit at a time because it will smoke like crazy if you put too much. That's even cheaper than the smoke machine. Less than $10.

----------------------------------------

Slo2gMar-16-11 10:41 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#133396, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 6

I'm not against smoke machines at all, just easier cheaper ways of finding the problem. The back pressure is not going to be that much of a problem, your only doing it for a short time. It may cause the car to stall but thats about it.

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-16-11 11:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#133397, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Slo2g
I'm not against smoke machines at all, just easier cheaper ways of finding the problem. The back pressure is not going to be that much of a problem, your only doing it for a short time. It may cause the car to stall but thats about it.

Goddamn it Zac. Quit answering with my thoughts!!

Yeah, its not like you are bolting something onto the tail pipe and revving her up to 8k. You're simply holding a rag over the tailpipe while she idles. Old man method.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

RoninEclipse2GMar-16-11 01:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#133399, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by eclipse9504
An easy way to find an exhaust leak is to put a little tranny fluid through any vacuum line and you will see smoke escape through where the leak is coming from. Just be carefull and use a little bit at a time because it will smoke like crazy if you put too much. That's even cheaper than the smoke machine. Less than $10.

Might as well do the seafoam cleaning instead of trans fluid. That'll show you where you're leaking and do some good for the engine.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

420agreenvilleSCMar-17-11 10:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#133408, "RE: Homemade smoke diagnostic tool"
In response to Reply # 9

i still like smoke. its kewl

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine topic #133373 Previous topic | Next topic