Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #947
View in linear mode

Subject: "If you Cant find it, Grind it" Previous topic | Next topic
speedbumpJul-05-03 11:32 AM
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#947, "If you Cant find it, Grind it"

Im grindin second gear like hell, downshifting and upshifting. Im told by a friend that it is the sycronizer. If not, what is it? if so, how can i fix it and how much $$$ will i spend?
please hel

-Matthew casE-

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamXtremeRSJul-05-03 03:28 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#948, "RE: If you Cant find it, Grind it"
In response to Reply # 0

If all other gears are fine, then yes, its prob a syncro. Only way to realy find out is to open up the trnas and inspect. This is something you can do yourself, but it can get tricky with all the gears and internal parts of the trans. If your apprehensive about taking it apart, but have the skills to drop the trans(its really not that hard), then take it out and have a trans shop fix it for you. If all you need is a new syncro, i would estimate around 100 bucks to fix? This is just a guess though. If you have a trans shop do all the labor to take it out and fix, and put back in, your're looking at around 500 bucks or so i'm sure. I got a quote for the hell of it for a shop to pull my trans, and replace the input shaft bearing, and that came out to around 450 bucks, which isnt all that bac. Needless to say, i took the trans out myself, and opened it up my self, and had them press in the new bearing for 20 bucks.. Best bet is to call around and get several qoutes, one for them doing all the work , and two, you bringing the trans to them.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Administratoradmin2Jul-08-03 12:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
543 posts,
#959, "RE: If you Cant find it, Grind it"
In response to Reply # 1

the second gear syncro is on the output shaft, which is not servicable. If it is indeed the syncro and not a shift fork or fluid problem, scrap the trans and buy a junkyard unit, as new output shafts cost roughly $1200, while a 5speed from a boneyard can be $300-500.

Or, just live with it until it completely dies and won't stay in second gear anymore. it'll take years to actually crap out entirely.

StuartLoweryJul-14-03 08:33 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
43 posts,
#998, "RE: If you Cant find it, Grind it"
In response to Reply # 2

How loose is the shifter acting? Mine was free moving and very sloppy 5th gear popping out and then 4th gear would stick in and have to stop to get it out then 3rd wouldn't go in. So $500 and 20 hrs later I have a good tranny in and new front suspension. Wierd thing about it was that the Bad tranny looked BRAND NEW! Opened the case and found the linkage all messed up and the gears starting to chip and round off. So I'll be rebuilding that one in my own time and the new one is great! Have the correct tools if you pull your own tranny. Something to hold the engine up and stands and a transmission jack or a couple of friends. It's not a hard job just takes time and patience.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #947 Previous topic | Next topic