Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #9045
View in linear mode

Subject: "Transmission fluid question" Previous topic | Next topic
Th3DooMJan-31-13 08:22 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2013
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#9045, "Transmission fluid question"
Jan-31-13 08:22 AM by DarkOne

Sry for digging out this old thread but atm I have 2 options and need your opinion:

Option 1 is getting 1 gallon of Mopar ATF+4 for 44 bucks. I can use 2 quarts for my tranny and the other 2 for flushing and refilling my power steering system.

Option 2 is getting 2 quarts of "Ravenol" syncromesh manual transmission fluid and 2 quarts of Mopar ATF+4 seperately for my PS-system.

Ravenol (german brand) states to meet Chrysler MS-9417 classification and lists the NV 350T transmission. That sounds pretty good, but nobody that I know ever tested this stuff in a NV350T. Can I trust the unknown syncromesh fluid or should I stick to Mopar ATF fluid? Costs would be the same, but I don't know if in general special syncromesh fluid is better than ATF.

420a in Europe

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Transmission fluid question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Jan-31-13 08:25 AM, #1
RE: Transmission fluid question, Th3DooM, Jan-31-13 11:22 AM, #2
      RE: Transmission fluid question, chipdogg, Jan-31-13 03:17 PM, #3
           RE: Transmission fluid question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-06-13 09:29 AM, #4
                RE: Transmission fluid question, chipdogg, Feb-06-13 06:54 PM, #5
                     RE: Transmission fluid question, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Feb-11-13 05:44 PM, #6
                          RE: Transmission fluid question, chipdogg, Feb-13-13 07:16 PM, #7

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJan-31-13 08:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9047, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never run ATF in the power steering system, but detergents aside, hydraulic fluid is hydraulic fluid, so I can't imagine it would be detrimental.

Many of the posters here swear by synchromesh. We don't have Revenol in the States that I am aware of, but if the manufaturer lists the T350 as an application, I imagine it would work just fine. The primary concern is friction modifiers for the paper syncho material, which most off-the-shelf manual transmission fluids don't contain.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Th3DooMJan-31-13 11:22 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2013
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#9048, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Dino for seperating the post

Oh, I guess I missunderstood something. I googled for 420a power steering fluid and there was a guy who claimed to use Dexron II ATF. He even said it's listed in his owner's manual but I couldn't find that part. Everybody seems to use normal power steering fluid so I'll stick to that.

420a in Europe

chipdoggJan-31-13 03:17 PM
Member since Oct 28th 2012
44 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9049, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 2

I recommend (and use) Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 (5w-30 in colder climates) synthetic engine oil in all of my rebuilds. Hasn't let me down yet.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-06-13 09:29 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#9050, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by chipdogg
I recommend (and use) Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 (5w-30 in colder climates) synthetic engine oil in all of my rebuilds. Hasn't let me down yet.

I have personally destroyed synchronizers running Mobil 1 in the T350. It lacks any sort of friction modifier.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

chipdoggFeb-06-13 06:54 PM
44 posts,
#9051, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 4
Feb-06-13 06:59 PM by chipdogg

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by chipdogg I recommend (and use) Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 (5w-30 in colder climates) synthetic engine oil in all of my rebuilds. Hasn't let me down yet.
I have personally destroyed synchronizers running Mobil 1 in the T350. It lacks any sort of friction modifier.

How were they "destroyed"? What failed on them? I've run it for past 8 years and have had 0 issues. Ed Peters ran it in his road race cars.

It's 99% the same as the original Mopar $18/qt fluid according to Ed after being given the breakdown of it.

No "friction modifier" is needed, it has the proper frictional coefficiency for the fibride material. There's no brass synchros in any, unless you have an earlier one with the 1-2 brass synchros.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneFeb-11-13 05:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#9052, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 5

The paper was out of spec after 6-7k miles, saw excessive wear on the synchro teeth too. Started popping out of gear in 3-4.

I'm not saying you're wrong to suggest it as obviously your evidence contradicts mine, just noting what I saw in one of the many failures i've caused

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

chipdoggFeb-13-13 07:16 PM
44 posts,
#9053, "RE: Transmission fluid question"
In response to Reply # 6

Were they synchros brand new? I don't see much where of the synchro teeth, but it can be one cause of gear pop out if they lose their taper that locks them into place. Of course if the shift pads are worn/missing or you have shifter cable issues, they won't engage all the way and it can cause premature wear on the teeth.

Same goes for the fibride material, if you have a clutch release issue (may not be noticeable to driver) they can wear faster.

Was it a new trans or remanned? By who? A buddy of mine bought a "reman" from a Chrysler dealer and within 2 months it grinded 3rd gear. Fibride completely worn. Since he opened it to install phantom grip, it voided warranty so I changed it. Shouldn't have failed that quickly, my guess is they "remanned" it but didn't replace every wear item so it failed early.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #9045 Previous topic | Next topic