Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8844
View in linear mode

Subject: "5th gear pops out and second gear grinds" Previous topic | Next topic
mxracer04Oct-17-11 07:26 AM
Member since May 04th 2009
56 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8844, "5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"

Only under heavy accerleration does the tranny grind going to first to second gear, all other gears are smooth and noise fee, what could be causing this. Also every once and a while it will pop out of 5th gear, it doesnt matter what im doing it will just randomly do it, if I keep my hand on the shifter to kind of hold it there it wont do it. I dont know a whole lot about manual transmissions so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I dont know if this matters but my speedo doesnt work.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-17-11 10:53 AM, #1
RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Oct-17-11 10:57 AM, #2
      RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Oct-17-11 11:03 AM, #3
      RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-17-11 11:05 AM, #4
           RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Oct-17-11 08:15 PM, #5
                RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-18-11 07:37 AM, #6
                     RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-19-11 02:36 AM, #7
                          RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Oct-21-11 08:09 AM, #8
                               RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-21-11 09:59 AM, #9
                                    RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, venge24, Nov-30-11 05:07 PM, #10
                                         RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Dec-14-11 09:31 AM, #11
                                         RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, 420agreenvilleSC, Dec-14-11 01:44 PM, #12
                                              RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Jan-06-12 09:17 AM, #13
                                                   RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-06-12 10:37 AM, #14
                                                        RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Feb-03-12 06:55 AM, #15
                                                             RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, venge24, Feb-03-12 08:48 AM, #16
                                         RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds, mxracer04, Feb-23-12 09:19 AM, #17

420agreenvilleSCOct-17-11 10:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8847, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 0

your synchros are worn, meaning replacing them will require a tranny overhaul. the speedo not working can be wiring going to the VSS or gauge cluster, or the VSS itself has failed.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

mxracer04Oct-17-11 10:57 AM
56 posts,
#8848, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 1

I have read that the gear on the end of the vss likes to fall off which requires to pull the tranny and get the gear out. Where would I look to buy syncrhos from, I have never had to look for em, is there a kit or performace ones?

mxracer04Oct-17-11 11:03 AM
56 posts,
#8849, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry I should have stated this previously but I know I could search for synchros and everything but I didnt know if there are better ones than other to use or like I said performance ones.

420agreenvilleSCOct-17-11 11:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8850, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 2

as far as I know, this is the cheapest place to find a legit rebuild for the t-350. http://www.allstategear.com/BearingKits.htm

bk414 is the rebuild kit w/out synchros $138
bk414ws is WITH synchros (get this one) $220

there are no performance kits, but some have modified their internals to increase lubrication. if you're serious, contact drakito on www.neons.org and see if he still does em. here's some of his work: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=352007

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

mxracer04Oct-17-11 08:15 PM
56 posts,
#8851, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 4

Would it be a dumb idea to just do the synchros instead of an entire kit. Most likely during the upcoming winter months im gonna pull motor and tranny to paint the engine bay and do a megasquirt system, so itll all be out.

420agreenvilleSCOct-18-11 07:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8853, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 5

If its all apart anyway, why not replace all the seals while you're in there? Thats like putting together a bottom end and reusing the front and rear main seals... just replace all the seals while its apart. Trust me

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-19-11 02:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8854, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 6

If you're popping 5th gear you probably have worn shaft (primary and/or secondary) bearings. As well as the grinding may have worn gears.

I would either look for a good used or do a full rebuild.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

mxracer04Oct-21-11 08:09 AM
56 posts,
#8855, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 7

Well looks like im just gonna do a full rebuild. It will all be out anyways so might as well. Thanks for the input

420agreenvilleSCOct-21-11 09:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8856, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by mxracer04
Well looks like im just gonna do a full rebuild. It will all be out anyways so might as well. Thanks for the input

that-a-boy! good choice!

venge24Nov-30-11 05:07 PM
Member since Nov 15th 2009
33 posts,
#8872, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 9

i had this same exact problem, i did a quick fix

mxracer04Dec-14-11 09:31 AM
56 posts,
#8885, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 10

Well here is the dumb question of the week. Where is the plug located at to check the trans fluid, I have never had to check one before so I have no idea.

420agreenvilleSCDec-14-11 01:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8886, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 11
Dec-14-11 01:44 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Where is the plug located at to check the trans fluid, I have never had to check one before so I have no idea.

It is next to where the drivers side axle goes into the trans. Look for a rounded black plug with a protruding flat tab.

If the trans is out of the car, you can just pull on the plug with your hands. If the trans is in the car, you can reach in there through the drivers fender well with a pair of needle nose pliers and pull it off (carefully). It'll be a little difficult to reach far in there with a pair of pliers, but yea.

Filling the trans w/ fluid is a whole nother' talent, lol. Use a long flexible funnel for that, or you can just pour 2 Qts through the reverse sensor hole.

mxracer04Jan-06-12 09:17 AM
56 posts,
#8892, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 12

Well a little update, I havent gotten the trans yet to swap but here in the past week or so(since I have been driving it every day for about four weeks now) it seems like it stays in 5th gear a lot better. I am going to do a fluid change to the amsoil fluid, im hoping that maybe it just needed driven after sitting for well over a year or two. Second gear still grinds but on at like 6500 rpm, so Im not to worried about that right now. I also tried to take out the speed sensor, do I just pull it straight out with the gear attached or is there a special way to do it? Speaking of the speed sensor, I unplugged it and there was so much corrosion on the pigtail and terminals on the sensor it wasnt even funny, so here in two weeks im going to get a new sensor and hopefully have a working speedometer.

thanks for all the help and input.

420agreenvilleSCJan-06-12 10:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8893, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 13
Jan-06-12 10:40 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

I also tried to take out the speed sensor, do I just pull it straight out with the gear attached or is there a special way to do it?

unplug the 3 wire connecting plug from the sensor, loosen and remove the 10mm bolt holding the sensor to the trans. Grab the plug firmly close to the base of it (you might need a rag to grip it firmly) and rock it back/fourth (easy, but firmly), and pull upwards as you rock it. Do NOT rock it back and fourth very hard though because the plastic speedo gear is attached to the sensor and if the two teeth holding it to the sensor break, the plastic gear will fall into the trans upon removal and you'll have to disasemble the trans to get it out (not fun). This plastic speedo gear sometimes is white, sometimes black - it varies. All the same though.

Once the sensor free's itself from the seal against the trans, pull it up out of the hole SLOWLY because the plastic gear is the same diameter as the hole as the trans, so you don't want to snag it against the side and accidentally let it fall when u pull it out. Reinstall new VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and speedo gear (you can reuse yours).

Speaking of the speed sensor, I unplugged it and there was so much corrosion on the pigtail and terminals on the sensor it wasnt even funny, so here in two weeks im going to get a new sensor and hopefully have a working speedometer. thanks for all the help and input.

If you buy a new VSS from advance ($87 w/ tax IIRC), you'd be pleased to know that it comes with a new 3-wire connecting harness with 8 inches of pigtail. Splice it into your existing wiring being careful to match wire to wire and you're golden.

mxracer04Feb-03-12 06:55 AM
56 posts,
#8905, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 14
Feb-03-12 07:09 AM by mxracer04

Well I think I have completely screwed 5th gear up now! It wont even stay engaged on its own so inorder to drive in 5th I have to hold the shifter in. But that shall be fixed as soon as I get all the parts in I ordered to rebuild it. I will try and post pictures during and after rebuild. Wish me luck because I have never rebuilt a manual only an automatic, but I am getting ALLDATA so that will help.

venge24Feb-03-12 08:48 AM
Member since Nov 15th 2009
33 posts,
#8906, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 15

Well if you would want to skipnrebuilding. I have a brand new (not rebuilt) with a out 10k miles on it (15000km). I just parked the car 5 days ago cause a bought magnum r/t. So the talon will be sold off, wether in parts or in one piece :p
I'd consider selling it, put it on a crate and sending it, make an offer via pm, well talk

mxracer04Feb-23-12 09:19 AM
56 posts,
#8915, "RE: 5th gear pops out and second gear grinds"
In response to Reply # 10

Update, I put in a news trans, cluch and speed sensor and everything works perfect!! Its so nice being able to drive down the road not having to hold 5th gear in place. Thanks for all your input it was great appreciated.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8844 Previous topic | Next topic