Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8245
View in linear mode

Subject: "South Bend Clutch - non-modular" Previous topic | Next topic
wickedtalonOct-09-09 02:46 PM
Member since Jan 04th 2002
978 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8245, "South Bend Clutch - non-modular"

My South Bend OFE hasnt held up to abuse of high boost so I need to upgrade. I talked on the phone w/ SB and they suggested upgrading to the non-modular DXD track series setup for a VW VR6. They said they have done this for a dozen people so far. Its a 6 puck. $800 bucks w/ a discount. Suggestions for something that will hold 400-500hp from you guys w/ higher HP? Worth going this route?

// Jim // 95 Talon / 99 Eclipse (sold)

Cincinnati,OH

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-10-09 02:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8248, "RE: South Bend Clutch - non-modular"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-10-09 03:23 AM by bullettdsm

I'm really happy/surprised with my VW/Audi pressure plate, Turbo Dodge disc and Neon flywheel set-up. I have done it 4 or 5 times(both my race cars have them).

I got my turbo set-up (570whpish 430tq) still holding great. It has over 9k miles on it (BUT 8.5k or so, was on just a 10.5 NA set-up. But it has held through racing and at least three dyno sessions) Its the Audi 1.8 pressure plate from Clutchnet (2x red http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=20176&cat=0&page=1),
this disc for a Turbo Dodge(http://www.clutchnet.com/product.php?productid=17423&cat=0&page=2) and a stock Neon flywheel that has the step cut .077 larger than stock.

My NA (211whp 169tq) has the stock pressure plate from a VW Passat (or the Audi 1.8, same thing), the stock Turbo Dodge disc (for a 2.5 turbo), with the Neon flywheel. This works all day long (I am curious to see how far this set-up would go in "stock" form. I do know that there is a Neon guy who is claiming "400 to 500whp" - butt dyno info - on that set-up).

Clutchnet culled the idea from our research and was selling a package for a little over $700 at one time. I don't know if they still are. The pressure plate I got for the turbo is suposedly good for 450tq (in talking to Igor at Clutchnet). They do have a 3x red as well.

If you want to do some reading about the set-up (with other information) you can check out this link;
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=244304
There is a lot of other info in there (including info about using the SRT 4 set-up). But because it was basically research in progress, the thread jumps around a little. Toward the end you will see some results.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamdougie2Oct-11-09 12:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2982 posts,
#8251, "RE: South Bend Clutch - non-modular"
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-11-09 12:32 PM by dougie2

I pushed the limits of the South Bend OFE modular clutch quite often. After the inital break-in I cranked the boost up to 30 PSI on a GT3076R turbo. It slipped a little on me randomly a few days, and some days it would hold just fine. Not bad at all for a clutch that has the same manners as the OEM clutch.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with the OFE and how it held the power it did... but I recently pulled it out and upgraded to a non-modular South bend clutch (think I'm going to need it for the HTA3586 turbo).

I haven't installed it yet, so here's some pics...

Here what my setup consists of:
- Billet Aluminum Flywheel
- DXD-B 6-puck Ceramic Clutch Disc
- SS Extreme Clamp Load Pressure Plate

I'd also like to add that you will not find a clutch company that uses better materials or has any better customer service. South Bend Clutch is a company with a lot of integrity. As a matter of fact, I have made them my preferred clutch vendor at my shop. I've used them in everything from DSMs to EVOs to SRT4s to WRXs. My customers LOVE THEM! You won't be disappointed!

Doug

Xtreme Performance Services

Race Engines · Transmissions · Turbo Systems · EFI & Tuning · Fabrication · Welding
www.xtremefabrications.com

wickedtalonOct-12-09 12:30 PM
Member since Jan 04th 2002
978 posts,
#8252, "RE: South Bend Clutch - non-modular"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the comments! I made my purchase from South Bend again. I ended up getting the DXD-B like you have pictured and as they recommended. Looks awesome! I'll test it out in a week or so!

// Jim // 95 Talon / 99 Eclipse (sold)

Cincinnati,OH

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8245 Previous topic | Next topic