Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8216
View in linear mode

Subject: "420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info" Previous topic | Next topic
pn0ymahalAug-30-02 04:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8216, "420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"

i know its been asked/talked about before i would like to know who has done the auto to 5 speed swap, and a list of 'ALL' parts i will need. i went to 'things you have seen before' and i cant find the exact parts list for it, and i did a search and got a grip of pages to look into... my computer is slow so it would take me a million years ( dame dial up)...
so yah all i need are:
list of parts and prices-
best place to get it-
who has done it with a email address-
i plan to throw in a new clutch and flywheel not sure what else, i plan to throw in a CMstage 4 since its pretty good if i do it..
any info i would like ...
im not sure if i should like a tranny shop do it, or my friend whos a mechanic at mitsu do it if we remove the engine for rebuild then do the 5 speed swap at the same time..i guess it depends how much its all going to cost...
do you have to remove the engine to change the auto tranny to a 5speed and all? i would assume so?
thanks
thanks

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2
http://www.dreamwater.net/purplebeast

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, jsupetran, Aug-30-02 05:06 PM, #1
RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, DVSJAY, Aug-30-02 08:51 PM, #2
      RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, CVedEclipse, Aug-30-02 09:10 PM, #3
           RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, jsupetran, Aug-31-02 01:07 PM, #4
                RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, pn0ymahal, Sep-01-02 03:04 AM, #5
                     RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, soldier101, Sep-01-02 03:27 AM, #6
                          RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, BlackVenge, Sep-01-02 04:17 PM, #7
                               RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, pn0ymahal, Sep-01-02 04:20 PM, #8
                                    RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, soldier101, Sep-01-02 04:26 PM, #9
                                         RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, TeamAvenger, Sep-01-02 04:50 PM, #10
                                              RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, The1Bill, Sep-02-02 05:40 AM, #11
                                                   RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, soldier101, Sep-02-02 07:41 AM, #12
                                                        RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, DroppaDime, Oct-07-09 09:50 AM, #13
                                                             RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-07-09 10:36 AM, #14
                                                                  RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, freelancefool, Oct-17-09 07:18 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-17-09 10:26 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, dalesmitsu, Oct-18-09 12:25 AM, #17
                                                                                 RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-18-09 01:05 AM, #18
                                                                                      RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, Zeram2000, Oct-18-09 09:19 AM, #19
                                                                                           RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info, dalesmitsu, Oct-18-09 09:40 PM, #20

jsupetranAug-30-02 05:06 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8217, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 0

yes... this fellow pinoy 2gnt also needs more info...

New Car:
2004 350z base, Nismo CAI, pioneer avic-n1 (dvd, cd, navi)

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DVSJAYAug-30-02 08:51 PM
Member since May 28th 2002
270 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#8218, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 1

This is like one of the few things that don't have a write up. I was asking around but got nothing. I'm going to forced to take mine to a shop.. damn i hate the sound of that, my car as never been to a shop except for my air bag problem.

Jay

--- Pics ---
https://420a.shutterfly.com/

CVedEclipseAug-30-02 09:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2244 posts,
#8219, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 2

i know there have been topics about this from the past... and i know there have been a couple members that have done the swap successfully.. they just need to find this post and help where they can.. i know that the1bill is always up for some good late night car talk.

^^what once was^^

^^what is now.. and permanently^^

jsupetranAug-31-02 01:07 PM
Member since May 04th 2002
4359 posts,
#8220, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 3

bump

New Car:
2004 350z base, Nismo CAI, pioneer avic-n1 (dvd, cd, navi)

Old Car:
1998 GS with hrc stage 2, HID 6000k conversion kit, AEM UEGO wideband, sfmu, ml, prokits, Greddy warning gauges: egt, boost gauge, and oil pressure, apexi tt, haydans tranny cooler, costum dp, groundwires, dynotune fp gauge. gst muff, turbo spoiler
Boostin since Aug 03.

nothing like driving with the windows down and the music low: i love hearing the turbo spool, swwwhhhttt!!!!

pn0ymahalSep-01-02 03:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#8221, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 4

anyone got the exact info for me?

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2

Michael

soldier101Sep-01-02 03:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3862 posts,
#8222, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 5

please someone that's done this post parts and prices........this is the mod I'm saving for first! (and I gotta know how much to save!)

turbo8u: "jiggle jiggle then vroom vroom pshhhh"
-Mike Pruett
2gnt member# 976
MOPAR Stage 2
SRTForums.com member #37 (Yeah, I signed up when it first came out, and ended up getting one, cool huh?)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
- General George Patton (1885-1945)

BlackVengeSep-01-02 04:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
117 posts,
#8223, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 6

i am working on one as we speak, i bought a wrecked avenger about a year ago with a 5spd, for a grand. so i cant tell you what the prices will be. but from what i know, you will need

1. trans
2. ecu (from a 5spd car)
3. shit linkages
4. slave cylinder (brand new reccomended)
5. brake pedal assembly,(clutch is attached)
6. all the lines (brand new reccomended)
7. wiring harness
8. clutch
9. center console for 5spd

i may be leaving something out, but im sure there is someone out there that can fill the rest in.(i dont have school tomorrow so im half drunk at the moment and cant think straight)

i dont know if the tachs are different, i think the 5sp tach has a 500rpm increase on the redline, but i dont know if that will matter, i was planning on rebuilding my cluster with aftermarrket guages anyway.

hopefully this is enough to get you started

*edit*
if you need some of the stuff brand new, or you cant find anything at car-part.com, let me know.

ttyl

Matt
Exile Racing Technologies

pn0ymahalSep-01-02 04:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#8224, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 7

thanks dude.. if there is more can you post it, and if anyone else has input on parts or prices that would be cool also.. you can also email me so i can save it or print it out...
cool

Michael 99gs
HRC Stage 2

Michael

soldier101Sep-01-02 04:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3862 posts,
#8225, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 8

master cylinder too right?

-Mike Pruett
2gnt member# 976
MOPAR Stage 2
SRTForums.com member #37 (Yeah, I signed up when it first came out, and ended up getting one, cool huh?)
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

TeamAvengerSep-01-02 04:50 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#8226, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 9

You don't need a new wiring harness. Use the write up on Armond's page about how to wire the reverse lights and the speedometer. You tach is fine. The markings are right. The redline starts a little early since it's expecting a 6.5k redline but it still goes just fine to 7.2k once the ecu has been swapped. Something that anyone has failed to mention is that you need to swap the rear transmission mount. Also there is a wire that you will have to ground to get the car to start. Oh and something that you should do is get an ECU from the SAME year as your car. It's just easier and trust me you don't need any extra ecu's floating around.

Soldier, yes the master cylinder too.

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

The1BillSep-02-02 05:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#8227, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 10

Hrmmmmm, I thought I posted a reply to this thread. Maybe it was a reply to another one of the 20 identical threads. Ah well. One minor thing, the clutch and brake pedals are not attached to each other (at least they weren't on mine), but there is a square perforation cut in the insulation for the clutch pedal, and there is already one layer of the firewall stamped to allow for the boltholes from the clutch to go in, so there is no guessing on hole size. I get so many e-mails about this asking "what do I need to buy" and I know that most of the people who ask don't plan on doing this (note, I said most). Some people make a sport out of wasting other people's time. A writeup on this would be awesome, but my swap wasn't conducive to a write-up, as I did it out of necessity, and spent 3 months on it. I bought parts piece by piece as I needed them, and I do not know what parts I bought, exactly, it was a while ago, and my primary concern was getting my car back running and out of the garage. I wish I had more information, but the list above seems to conver it all pretty well.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

soldier101Sep-02-02 07:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3862 posts,
#8228, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 11

I just landed a job working at brunos and will be working at blockbuster soon enough, I'm taking out a small loan to swap in a 5 speed

-Mike Pruett
2gnt member# 976
MOPAR Stage 2

DroppaDimeOct-07-09 09:50 AM
Member since Oct 07th 2009
3 posts,
#8229, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 12
Oct-07-09 09:51 AM by DroppaDime

Here I am checking this thread yearssss later trying to find information on wiring my speedo. I successfully swapped my 99 gs to a 5 speed. It was a learning process and great to know I got it done, but it just wasn't worth the time, money and problems. Complete parts list:
Needed:
manual transmission (make sure it has the throw out arm)$500
clutch (should come with throwout bearing)$200
manual transmission rear tranny mount $50
slave cylinder $20
clutch line $10
master cylinder and reservoir $20
pedal assembly (with clutch pedal) $30
shifter (mount plate and cables) $15
shift boot $5
Optional:
5 speed ecu (raises redline 700 rpms) $200
5 speed radiator (thinner, gives more room) $150
5 speed cluster or new guage faces (shows appropriate redline) $50/$20
5 speed drive axles ($100 a piece)

Your best option is to buy a donor car and rape all the pieces youll need from it. Thats how I got the ecu, radiator and shift boot/guages. The mount plate for the shifter cables bolts right up, its a bitch getting them through the firewall, but just take out the tcu under the radio. The tcu is the transmission control unit, only used for the automatic transmission, so you dont need it. It has two bolts hold it to a mount plate, then slide it out the passenger side and unbolt the wiring harness from the bottom of it. That will give you more room to run the cables.

Theres prepunched holes under the driver side dash for the master cylinder, so just dremel them out or punch them out. Everyone says the pedal assembly was the hardest part but it wasn't for me.
When I was finished with the swap at first, my check engine light was on. When I swapped ecu's, it went off.

When you go to bolt the transmission to the engine, make sure your throwout bearing is installed properly. It has two little very very delicate fingers on the back side that hold it to the throw out arm. DO NOT break those fingers and make sure you slide the throwout bearing correctly onto the throwout arm. I broke one of the fingers and figured "f*ck it" but after I got the transmission assembly in and started the car up, the throwout bearing rattles around like a mofo in there. IT sounds really bad. When I roll up to stop lights, I push the clutch in a little bit to shut it up. So dont learn the hard way like myself.

As for wiring, I found a plug for the reverse sensor on the transmission which is on the driverside front of the transmission, its a round plug with two leads in it. I spliced the red/blue and black/white wires from the auto harness into a piggy tail plug for the reverse sensor.

For the starter problem, I spliced the black/yellow wire from the wiring harness into the ground for the reverse light (red/blue). This just grounds that wire, which would happen before when I had my car in park or neutral, allowing me to start my engine.
There's also a clutch safety switch right above where the clutch pedal bolts up, which I plugged my clutch into, but it doesnt work for me. You could run the black/yellow wire up to that switch and ground the other wire coming out of it, or just not be a moron and start your car in gear.

I also bought new drive axles for the conversion, but I couldve used my old ones. I broke a boot when I was taking one out, so I just bought both new ones.

The only problem I'm having now is the wiring for the speedometer. If anyone has any clue, please email me. I bought a piggytail plug for the speedo sensor and spliced the three wires into the matching wire colors from the ECU (on the bottom plug). The tcu is removed. Still no speedo.

I hope this helped anyone out whos thinking of doing a swap. It was a learning process and a pain in my ass but I got it all done in just a couple days, with much persistance. Buy everything you need before you start. I did it without a cherry picker. I just jacked the shit out of the car and put 4 jack stands along the sides to hold it up, then used a motorcycle jack to lower the engine/transmission assembly. Good luck!

420agreenvilleSCOct-07-09 10:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8230, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 13

congratulations, but a write-up's already here http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=ATMT

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

freelancefoolOct-17-09 07:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#8277, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
congratulations, but a write-up's already here http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=ATMT

Don't be a dick Mikey.

My Blog

420agreenvilleSCOct-17-09 10:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8278, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 15

loll i'm not! i said congratulations...

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

dalesmitsuOct-18-09 12:25 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#8279, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 16
Oct-18-09 12:26 AM by dalesmitsu

Sorry for the high jack. What car has a phoenix nv-t350, read a post at MM, 2gnt owner there has this and I was curious about it.

420agreenvilleSCOct-18-09 01:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#8280, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Sorry for the high jack. What car has a phoenix nv-t350, read a post at MM, 2gnt owner there has this and I was curious about it.

wtf is a phoenix nv-t350 and what does 'MM' mean

Zeram2000Oct-18-09 09:19 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2009
7 posts,
#8281, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 18

It's a short way to say the web site mitsu-media.com

dalesmitsuOct-18-09 09:40 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#8282, "RE: 420a 5 speed swap conversion people need info"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by Zeram2000
It's a short way to say the web site mitsu-media.com

Correct, Its a neon tranny a shop in OH Tothelimit bought it from Phoenix,AZ he added that to be nice.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8216 Previous topic | Next topic