Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8176
View in linear mode

Subject: "2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
TheRedBarrenSep-17-09 03:15 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8176, "2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
Sep-17-09 03:16 PM by TheRedBarren

As long as I've owned my car, (4 years) 1st gear always grinds. It does not grind when I try to place it in gear from a complete stop. It will only grind and not go into gear while *rolling*. No other gears have problems. What could be the problem?

I've been told syncro's, but wouldn't the gear pop out while in motion? I need help ASAP, because I have the Tranny out doing a SBC Stage 1 clutch install and it would be much easier to replace while its out if it does have to do with something inside the tranny.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-17-09 04:59 PM, #1
RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, TheRedBarren, Sep-17-09 05:09 PM, #2
      RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-17-09 05:34 PM, #3
           RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-19-09 12:49 PM, #4
RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, Purpose, Sep-24-09 11:56 PM, #5
RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-25-09 12:22 PM, #6
      RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, Purpose, Sep-26-09 06:55 PM, #7
           RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-26-09 07:00 PM, #8
           RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, Purpose, Sep-26-09 07:17 PM, #9
                RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-28-09 11:09 AM, #10
           RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-28-09 12:49 PM, #11
                RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-28-09 06:32 PM, #12
                     RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, Purpose, Oct-03-09 10:04 AM, #13
                          RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-03-09 11:43 AM, #14

RoninEclipse2GSep-17-09 04:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8177, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 0

It could be the synchros or a bad shift cable, but usually the shift cable would be noticable in several gears, like 1st-3rd-5th or 2nd-4th-reverse. Considering your description of the symptoms I would lean more toward a dead synchro. It won't cause the gears to pop out while driving but it is usually very annoying. I drove a car with a dead 1st synchro for 50k and it never got any worse

You could have the trans rebuilt, replaced, or just live with it

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

TheRedBarrenSep-17-09 05:09 PM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
#8178, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for your reply! Do you think I could just have the shop replace the 1st gear syncro? There is nothing else wrong with the trans besides that. Or do you think it would be worthwile to have aamcro rebuild the whole thing..?

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

RoninEclipse2GSep-17-09 05:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8179, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 2

I'd just go get quotes to see what the difference between rebuilding just the #1 synchro and refreshing the whole setup is. I'd bet that it's not that much more to have the whole thing refreshed.

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-19-09 12:49 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8180, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 3

1st gear synchro is bad. when the trans pops out of Gear....your lookign at replacing the actual gears and slider assy.

Out of all the kits i have seen....you will have ot buy an entire synchro kit so you might as well just rebuild the entire trans.

PurposeSep-24-09 11:56 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2009
42 posts,
#8181, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 0

You are not supposed to shift into 1st while rolling. It is not a "drive" gear, but functions only to get you going. This driving habit has lead to this result. Gear fluid plays a roll as well.

There is a guy going by Drakito on neons,org that rebuilds mtx's for around $350, and you pay the shipping. Something to consider.

Banned

RoninEclipse2GSep-25-09 12:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8189, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Purpose
You are not supposed to shift into 1st while rolling. It is not a "drive" gear, but functions only to get you going. This driving habit has lead to this result.

I've downshifted into first while rolling since I bought the car and I've put over 100k on it personally. First shifts fine. I've even dropped it into first on tight corners and hairpins on the racetrack, no grinds. Shifting into first while the car is moving isn't the issue, usually it's ramming the gears and beating the synchros, or shifting from a rolling reverse into first (intentionally broke a tranny doing that)

Erik P.

PurposeSep-26-09 06:55 PM
42 posts,
#8191, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 6

How can your transmission be fine if it has been grinding 1st gear since you have owned the car? Are you listening to yourself?

As long as I've owned my car, (4 years) 1st gear always grinds. It does not grind when I try to place it in gear from a complete stop. It will only grind and not go into gear while *rolling*. No other gears have problems. What could be the problem?

I've downshifted into first while rolling since I bought the car and I've put over 100k on it personally. First shifts fine. I've even dropped it into first on tight corners and hairpins on the racetrack, no grinds. Shifting into first while the car is moving isn't the issue, usually it's ramming the gears and beating the synchros, or shifting from a rolling reverse into first (intentionally broke a tranny doing that)

Your lack of driving skill is the problem.

Banned

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-26-09 07:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#8192, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-26-09 07:01 PM by bullettdsm

How can your transmission be fine if it has been grinding 1st gear since you have owned the car? Are you listening to yourself?

Not for nothing Purpose, but you may want to check out quoting skills (or maybe comprehension?)......

Be sure of who you quote.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

PurposeSep-26-09 07:17 PM
42 posts,
#8193, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 8

10-4

Banned

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-28-09 11:09 AM
8331 posts,
#8194, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 9

Down shifting into 1st gear wen coming to a crawl is normal.

Snychros go bad due to a variety of reasons.

RoninEclipse2GSep-28-09 12:49 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8195, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 7

You're an idiot. You prove my point more and more with nearly every post you make.

Erik P.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-28-09 06:32 PM
8331 posts,
#8196, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 11
Sep-28-09 06:34 PM by Star Turbo Talon

I am losing my patience here.

The only fluid that is to be used in the NVT 350 is Mopar ATF +4 (or equivalent).

Gear lube eats our synchros. I cannot stress this enough. I have rebuilt enough to prove my point.

Purpose.....if you wish to spread inaccurate info and continue down this road of becoming a individual who cannot be trusted for even a bolt size I would suggest you join another board or refrain from posting.

This info has been proven over the past 20 years and even Mopar/New Venture will support it.

PurposeOct-03-09 10:04 AM
42 posts,
#8201, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 12
Oct-03-09 10:06 AM by Purpose

Pardon, but if you are getting emotional, go take a nap.

ATX parts are not the same as MTX parts. They should not use the same fluid. Period. You can do as you will, as most other are doing are the variety of internet web boards. It is wrong. Do not like it? Go blog about it somewhere.

ATF+4 was used in mtx transmissions as a cheap fix to a problem the manufacturer had not solved. It is not "the new hotness" because it is cheaper. It's molecular composition and higher detergent properties suite a atx, not mtx. It's in the title. Take a look. ATF+4. It will never say recommend for mtx NVT-350 because it is not. The parts guys are salesman and say when is needed to sell products. Do not get pissy with me because you are wrong. When you start rebuilding NVT-350 mtx's, maybe you will understand what I am talking about. Maybe.

Hell, there are several members on this board that has spoken against it. Are they making your patience run lean too?

Banned

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-03-09 11:43 AM
8331 posts,
#8202, "RE: 2GNT 1st Gear Grinding - Need help fast - Tranny out"
In response to Reply # 13
Oct-03-09 11:45 AM by Star Turbo Talon

The recommended fluid today is still ATF +4. you apparently have no idea what our stop rings are made lined with. I suggest to tear apart a trans and see. This discussion is over. Contimue to push your luck and spread incorrect info and you will be removed from the site.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #8176 Previous topic | Next topic