Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7972
View in linear mode

Subject: "That's why my clutch won't disengage!" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorCorbinJun-28-09 04:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7972, "That's why my clutch won't disengage!"
Jun-28-09 04:59 PM by Corbin

And thats what that strange noise was:

I had been hearing a nasty metal/gravel grinding noise randomly, only when leaving work (not my house), only when the engine was cold, and only when slipping the clutch a lot. It was too random to really nail down. That started a few months after installing the new clutch and persisted a couple months. Then, I started to miss shifts. I figured that I am probably just retarded and need to pay more attention when shifting. Then, one day in the middle of rush hour traffic, I couldn't shift into any gear. With the clutch pedal in, the engine would stall when I tried to force the shifter into any gear. Once it did stall, I could easily go into each gear (that pissed me off). As the lights turned green, I just had to push the clutch pedal to the wall, rev it up, and force that shifter until the transmission screamed and finally went into gear. Upshifting and downshifting still resulted in a nasty metal grinding noise, but could be done. It was embarassing as I got caught by light after light.

I will admit that the cause was likely improper loc-tite prep. I was distracted by taking pictures and notes for a "how to" article. I used loc-tite, but didn't clean the threads in the crank (I normally clean with isopropyl alchohol and blow out with compressed air). I didn't remember this until after I had spent two hours getting the transmission to line up to the engine (my first time with a non-modular install). At that point, I said "screw it, it'll be fine". It wasn't fine and I am the one who got screwed. I just thought I would post this so that others might learn from my mistakes.

Corbin
'95 ESI-T

Now with more power and fewer leaks

Humble servant of the Wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-28-09 05:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7973, "RE: That's why my clutch won't disengage!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lol, don't you hate when that happens? Hey at least the bolt is nice and shiney now. Good to show that even the experienced have unforseen problems (of course, not so good for you, but you get my drift).

Originally posted by Corbin
......until after I had spent two hours getting the transmission to line up to the engine (my first time with a non-modular install).

Yeah, a bit of a technique to get her in there. With both of my race cars having the non-modular, I've gotten better at it. The key is to get the diff part up over that little "shelf" in the suspension crosspiece first.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCJun-28-09 07:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#7974, "RE: That's why my clutch won't disengage!"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-28-09 08:00 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

god. makes me want to put red threadlocker on mine

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

bzossJun-29-09 11:07 AM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
298 posts,
#7975, "RE: That's why my clutch won't disengage!"
In response to Reply # 2

I am pretty sure that mine don't even have thread locker of any kind on them... YIKES!!!
I did torque them properly however... maybe that will count for something. It has been about 3 years with no problems yet though. I do however, plan on building a tranny soon. I will make sure that I go back in on those when I swap the built tranny out.

Good post!

Built block.
Refinished head.
Tuned suspension.
TURBO.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7972 Previous topic | Next topic