Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7388
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another ruined trans?" Previous topic | Next topic
brandons_97gsOct-14-08 07:48 PM
Member since Jul 06th 2008
42 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7388, "Another ruined trans?"

I recently installed a replacement trans. that had been a rebuilt unit. Supposedly this unit had less than 15k on it. When we installed it Labor day weekend. We didn't replace the axle seals, not thinking. Just this past Sunday (10/12/08) I replaced both axle seals without any difficulty-they had been leaking though.

Ok, now for the bad stuff. The driver's side axle seal is still leaking apparently. And since the garage I use is 2 hours away, I took it in to a local shop to have them put it up in the air and check it out. They did that and that was it. They were afraid to take the axle out because there was too much movement where the axle seats into the trans. The mechanic "didn't want to disturb" anything that could be potentially wrong. He said the seals were fine and installed correctly but something internally was causing the leak.

So now I have an appt. with AAMCO(sp?) tomorrow to see what is going on. I explained to them over the phone and they are telling me that its going to need an overhaul! and is something like 10 hours worth of trans. rebuild time...are you serious!?

so i guess my question is this...is there any slim chance that the problem could be something 'minor' and not $1500?

What a mess.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Another ruined trans?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Oct-14-08 10:01 PM, #1
RE: Another ruined trans?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-16-08 03:06 AM, #2
      RE: Another ruined trans?, brandons_97gs, Oct-16-08 03:42 AM, #3
           RE: Another ruined trans?, brandons_97gs, Oct-22-08 10:55 AM, #4
                RE: Another ruined trans?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-23-08 03:19 AM, #5
                     RE: Another ruined trans?, brandons_97gs, Oct-25-08 02:05 PM, #6

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-14-08 10:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7389, "RE: Another ruined trans?"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-14-08 10:02 PM by bullettdsm

Possibly missing c-clip on the inner cv. Or maybe not even seated.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-16-08 03:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7392, "RE: Another ruined trans?"
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds like they're just trying to screw you.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

brandons_97gsOct-16-08 03:42 AM
42 posts,
#7393, "RE: Another ruined trans?"
In response to Reply # 2

well the diagnosis as of right now is:

bent driver side spindle -which is smashing the axle into the ball joint--->bending the axle and probably causing the leak at the axle seals....

so they are replacing the axle, spindle, and both axle seals...and hopefully thats the problem. the guy over there said that he was pretty confident that the trans. isn't bad...

i sure hope he's right...i wont pay to have BOTH issues fixed....hopefully its the lesser of two evils...

brandons_97gsOct-22-08 10:55 AM
42 posts,
#7402, "RE: Another ruined trans?"
In response to Reply # 3

I finally got my car back last night. I ended up having both axles replaced, along with the 2 seals, and a new spindle assembly. I tell ya, places like that really kill me with what they charge for work, that and JUST how much they charge you for parts...I might as well have taken it to MITSU for all that.

At least I got it back and it WASN'T the trans.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-23-08 03:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7403, "RE: Another ruined trans?"
In response to Reply # 4

Well, you could have done all that for the price of parts in an afternoon. Axles and suspension is really a nuts-and-bolts deal.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

brandons_97gsOct-25-08 02:05 PM
42 posts,
#7404, "RE: Another ruined trans?"
In response to Reply # 5

The whole ordeal was more of a convenience...I really hate not having access to my own garage without having to drive 2 hrs. to my parents. It is specifically reasons like this that I really do not enjoy having to pay someone else to do the straight-forward things like axle/suspension work. At least the car is fixed though and hopefully I won't be needing 'convenient' work done anytime soon.

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7388 Previous topic | Next topic