Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7307
View in linear mode

Subject: "need aftermarket 420a clutch" Previous topic | Next topic
kevoxAug-09-08 07:43 PM
Member since Jul 21st 2007
145 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7307, "need aftermarket 420a clutch"

Where do I find em though??? I googled it and read that CM and Spec are the most popular ones but I wasn't able to find any direct links :confused:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, Tuxdreamerx, Aug-09-08 07:51 PM, #1
RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, kevox, Aug-09-08 08:07 PM, #2
      RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, daes_venge, Aug-09-08 10:03 PM, #3
           RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, PsychO, Aug-10-08 03:18 AM, #4
                RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, foggy45, Aug-10-08 03:29 PM, #5
                     RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, kevox, Aug-10-08 06:28 PM, #6
                     RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, foggy45, Aug-11-08 05:37 AM, #7
                          RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, TeamXtremeRS, Aug-11-08 10:13 AM, #8
                     RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, Moderatorbullettdsm, Aug-11-08 03:05 PM, #9
                          RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, kevox, Aug-11-08 07:18 PM, #10
                               RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, kevox, Aug-14-08 09:09 AM, #11
                                    RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, foggy45, Aug-14-08 09:37 AM, #12
                                    RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, Moderatorbullettdsm, Aug-14-08 10:46 AM, #13
                                         RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch, kevox, Aug-14-08 10:12 PM, #14

TuxdreamerxAug-09-08 07:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7308, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 0

Get a ebay clutch thats what I have got and other poeple here have had luck with them. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACING-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-KIT-ECLIPSE-TALON-NEON_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ006QQitemZ160268895674QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
There are other cluch too this is just one I know of right off the top of my head.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

kevoxAug-09-08 08:07 PM
145 posts,
#7309, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 1

I appreciate the link but it's now apparent to me that I need to be more clear what I'm doing with this car. Nothin' crazy, but certainly more than the 230hp that clutch is rated at...I'm adding a turbo next month and aiming for 300-325 WHP with a 375hp goal over the next year or maybe two so I want a clutch that will hold 400+hp (just to be safe).

I found this one
http://www.lmperformance.com/12971/93.html
And from what I've read Spec is really good BUT I don't quite understand this statement....
"Billet steel flywheel included in kit. Reduce rotating mass, increase high rpm reliability and gain free hp with our billet pressure plate option for $179."

Are they saying the kit comes with the flyheel and you can add the special PP for $179 or are you adding the flywheel itself for $179?

Of course then the next question comes in where, if it is the PP you can add, where the heck is it on that site?! All I can find are Flywheels...which btw have the EXACT same description and pic but one is $143 and the other $359! A lot of good that does the potential buyer...

daes_vengeAug-09-08 10:03 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2006
252 posts,
#7310, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 2

I would choose a Southbend over a Spec any day.

PsychOAug-10-08 03:18 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#7311, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by daes_venge
I would choose a Southbend over a Spec any day.

I'd have to agree.

foggy45Aug-10-08 03:29 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
#7312, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by PsychO
Originally posted by daes_venge I would choose a Southbend over a Spec any day.
I'd have to agree.

Ding!

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

kevoxAug-10-08 06:28 PM
145 posts,
#7313, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by foggy45
I'd have to agree.
Ding!

Ok, so are there any Southbend clutches for less than $650?
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/South_Bend/Clutch/Clutch_Kits/FE_Series/12469
I can not afford that...

foggy45Aug-11-08 05:37 AM
1032 posts,
#7314, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 6
Aug-11-08 05:40 AM by foggy45

honestly id call them up and explain what your goals are and have them help you select the best plate, disk, and Flywheel for your application.
the guys are nice and more then willing to help.

on the money side, unless your motor is all built now and this is the last part you need, id get a stocker in order to drive the car and use while breaking in the motor. then save up for the clutch and LSD you need.

best option would be to do this with a seperate transmission as well so when your motor is all broken in you can drop in the rebuilt transmission already assembled with the LSD and clutch pkg.
this way you can make sure its assembled on par with the engine, and dont have to worry about rushing to get stuff put together inorder to drive it again.

it will save on downtime and drivability when your not boosting (or light boost) while properly breaking in your engine.
then you can either sell the old setup or keep it as a backup

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

TeamXtremeRSAug-11-08 10:13 AM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#7315, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 7

I use the Southbend DXD clutch, and i've beat on that thing with a decent amount of track launches, and 18psi boost on the 16G..never slipped once..wish i could say that for the tires lol. Highly suggest the SB clutch. Like said, call them up and explain your goals. They will take care of you.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-11-08 03:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7316, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 5

I'd have to agree.
Ding!

Do a search and you'll know why I agree.......

I'm thinking your goals don't match your pocket. 400whp with the 420a is seen by very few. My current clutch set-up can handle that and it is probably the cheapest of the choices BUT you gotta do a little footwork to get there. My set-up as I recollect cost me $400 without the flywheel. Buck and 1/2 for the 6 puck disc and another $250 for the PP (Audi/VW pressure plate and 6 puck turbo dodge disc and a Neon non mod flywheel. PP and disc from Clutchnet. Igor is actually taking a page out of my book and he has a special set-up that includes an aluminum flywheel for around $700)).

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

kevoxAug-11-08 07:18 PM
145 posts,
#7317, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by bullettdsm
I'd have to agree.
Ding!
Do a search and you'll know why I agree....... I'm thinking your goals don't match your pocket. 400whp with the 420a is seen by very few. My current clutch set-up can handle that and it is probably the cheapest of the choices BUT you gotta do a little footwork to get there. My set-up as I recollect cost me $400 without the flywheel. Buck and 1/2 for the 6 puck disc and another $250 for the PP (Audi/VW pressure plate and 6 puck turbo dodge disc and a Neon non mod flywheel. PP and disc from Clutchnet. Igor is actually taking a page out of my book and he has a special set-up that includes an aluminum flywheel for around $700)). MB
Its true that my pocketbook isn't that deep lol but this is how I'm looking at it:
The turbo is going on next month and should put me up to 300hp (WHP or Non-WHP I do not know at this point. LoL whats the term for "Non-WHP" that I'm looking for here? just hp?) and my pocketbook will be non-existent for awhile but I figure over the next 18 months I'll keep adding things to it to get closer and closer 350hp...then 375hp....then I'll probably stop but that's all; I don't want to run into the problem where I can't upgrade any specific part because it will up my HP by just enough to need a new clutch to take on that extra HP! I want a clutch now that will hold up to the power GOALS I have in mind of 375...I'll definitely give SB a call, thanks guys!

kevoxAug-14-08 09:09 AM
145 posts,
#7320, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 10

wow, so I just gave them a call and talked to a guy named John (interesting, my new mechanic's name is also John lol) and he recommended their Stage 3 clutch using the stock flywheel for applications up to 375hp saying that anything higher than 375hp and I'd have to go with a Drag Racing clutch which obviously isn't going to be very easy to drive on the street. What's the best part of all this? He quoted me only $335!! I asked him if they had a lightweight flywheel that I could add onto that (I figured it's so cheap why not!) and he said they didn't make one themselves but they do offer Fidanza flywheels but that lightweight is not always the best because although they do enable you to rev higher faster they lose momentum during shifts due to the less weight so 1st-3rd gears usually don't see as fast of a response from lighter flywheels so I'll just stick with my resurfaced stock flywheel and get their Stage 3 clutch next week when I get paid again! thanks a lot for the help guys!

foggy45Aug-14-08 09:37 AM
1032 posts,
#7321, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 11

. . . and thats why we like SBC

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-14-08 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7322, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by kevox
wow, He quoted me only $335!!

Um, that's great, yes, but are you sure? Andy is the guy that we usually deal with there and I'm just wondering if you got the right application at that price.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

kevoxAug-14-08 10:12 PM
145 posts,
#7323, "RE: need aftermarket 420a clutch"
In response to Reply # 13

I only assumed he pulled up the right info after I told him I drove a non-turbo Talon with the 420a motor but I'll be sure to double-check that with him/them when I order it next week!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7307 Previous topic | Next topic