Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7287
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manual Transmission Noise" Previous topic | Next topic
kballard81Aug-03-08 04:56 PM
Member since Jul 07th 2008
104 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7287, "Manual Transmission Noise"

I have a 97 GS NT and the transmission makes this horrible noise when I start the car up for about 10 min until the car warms up and then it goes away.....I have a brand new clutch and throwout bearing in it and it still makes that noise. The flywheel is on correctly and tight......It makes a sound like rocks are in the transmission...when you push the clutch in, the noise goes away. What the hell is wrong with my transmission???????

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Manual Transmission Noise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-04-08 02:36 AM, #1
RE: Manual Transmission Noise, Tuxdreamerx, Aug-04-08 05:41 AM, #2
      RE: Manual Transmission Noise, kballard81, Aug-04-08 06:56 AM, #3
           RE: Manual Transmission Noise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-04-08 08:57 AM, #4
                RE: Manual Transmission Noise, kballard81, Aug-04-08 09:37 AM, #5
                RE: Manual Transmission Noise, RoninEclipse2G, Aug-05-08 05:53 AM, #6
                     RE: Manual Transmission Noise, kballard81, Aug-05-08 11:03 PM, #7
                          RE: Manual Transmission Noise, Moderatorteklein, Aug-06-08 01:30 AM, #8
                               RE: Manual Transmission Noise, kballard81, Aug-06-08 01:44 AM, #9
                                    RE: Manual Transmission Noise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-06-08 02:56 AM, #10
                                         RE: Manual Transmission Noise, kballard81, Aug-06-08 11:26 AM, #11
                                              RE: Manual Transmission Noise, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-07-08 08:12 AM, #12

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-04-08 02:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7288, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 0

Throwout bearing rattle. it won't damage anything, it just sounds ugly.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TuxdreamerxAug-04-08 05:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
384 posts,
#7289, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 1

My 88 accord did this. Just the throwout bearing as stated above.

kballard81Aug-04-08 06:56 AM
104 posts,
#7290, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 2

is there anyway to fix the noise and make it go away?????i just put a new throwout bearing in it plus the clutch is new also......i dont know why it keeps making that noise. And then if im driving down the road and drop it in to 2nd gear at 3K+rpms, it grinds. Also the forks on the clutch where the bearing is hitting it is wearing a little.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-04-08 08:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7291, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 3

The clutch fork uses two very small, very brittle metal tabs to locate the TOB. They tend to break if you're not extremely careful. they also tend to break if you touch them. If they're missing, the TOB is not held securely to the fork and will rattle.

if it bothers you that much, you're going to need to pull the trans, replace the fork, and reseat the TOB without breaking the tabs. if you break a tab, buy a new fork and repeat.

See why we tend to just live with it?

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

kballard81Aug-04-08 09:37 AM
104 posts,
#7292, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 4

oh ok i didnt know that there were tabs on the fork.....thanx ill check that out and let everyone know....i know that there where 2 tabs on the TOB but i guess those arent it.

RoninEclipse2GAug-05-08 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7293, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DarkOne
They tend to break if you're not extremely careful. they also tend to break if you touch them.

I looked at one wrong and it broke, true story

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

kballard81Aug-05-08 11:03 PM
104 posts,
#7295, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 6

i was told that it was the front bearing inside the transmission. the tabs arent broke at all and it still makes that noise......and the funny thing is, why does it only do it for 5 min when the engine is cold?

ModeratortekleinAug-06-08 01:30 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#7296, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by kballard81
i was told that it was the front bearing inside the transmission. the tabs arent broke at all and it still makes that noise......and the funny thing is, why does it only do it for 5 min when the engine is cold?

Dude, its fine.

My car does it when its idling and kinda chilly outside. Once I push the clutch or put the car into motion it goes away.

kballard81Aug-06-08 01:44 AM
104 posts,
#7297, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 8

how come when im going faster it grinds 2nd gear?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-06-08 02:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7298, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 9
Aug-06-08 02:57 AM by DarkOne

because your second gear synchro is worn.

Not much you can do to fix it. I'd recommend changing the fluid, it might improve.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

kballard81Aug-06-08 11:26 AM
104 posts,
#7302, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 10

ok ill try changing the fluid.....how hard is it and about how much does it cost to rebuild the tranny?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-07-08 08:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7303, "RE: Manual Transmission Noise"
In response to Reply # 11

The problem is that second is on the output shaft, which the dealer says is serviced as a unit. it *will* come apart and *can* be serviced, but you're either going to have to do it yourself or find someone that knows these transaxles, and you're not going to be able to buy replacement parts from Satan to service second (stop ring, syncro slider, etc). There are some aftermarket rebuild kits that offer these parts, but the synchro quality is somewhat less than stock.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7287 Previous topic | Next topic