Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7133
View in linear mode

Subject: "awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?" Previous topic | Next topic
spooled420Apr-22-08 07:47 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2007
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7133, "awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
Apr-22-08 08:17 PM by spooled420

so here's the 411 I recently did a neon block swap and didnt think about changing out its rear main seal so after all ssaid and done I got oil leaking from the bell housing{manual trans} and Im assuming its sraying it on the clucth and various parts because ive been goin through over a quart of oil a week.well today driving it hard under boost my rpm's skyrocket especially when the trans heats up and the car is at a sitstill and not goin no wher and I gotta kinda let off the gas to get it to grip,So I'm planninig on getting a stage 1 clutch but my question is is it really the clutch failing or is it the pressure plate or just slipping from the leaking rear main seal?plz help if anyones got any pointers...oh and the car was running great for months prior to this so this didnt accure right after the block swap.any info appreciated thx.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?, spooled420, Apr-22-08 08:16 PM, #1
RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-23-08 05:10 AM, #2
      RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?, RoninEclipse2G, Apr-23-08 05:35 AM, #3
RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?, spooled420, Apr-27-08 01:15 PM, #4
RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-27-08 02:37 PM, #5
      RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?, spooled420, Apr-28-08 01:58 PM, #6
           RE: Awe sh*t!..., spooled420, May-07-08 07:31 PM, #7
                RE: Awe sh*t!..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, May-08-08 11:02 AM, #8
                RE: update, spooled420, May-10-08 12:00 PM, #9
                     RE: update, spooled420, May-10-08 09:11 PM, #10
                          RE: update..but bad news haha, spooled420, May-16-08 11:50 AM, #11
                               RE: update..but bad news haha, RoninEclipse2G, May-16-08 12:36 PM, #12
                                    RE: update..but bad news haha, Moderatorbullettdsm, May-17-08 12:04 AM, #13

spooled420Apr-22-08 08:16 PM
204 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7134, "RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
In response to Reply # 0

would excessive free play cause this as well?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-23-08 05:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#7135, "RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by spooled420
would excessive free play cause this as well?

Excessive free play is not an issue on a stock modular clutch. I'd say you've lubricated the clutch and it's slipping. Fix the rear main or input shaft seal, replace the clutch, and you should be fine.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GApr-23-08 05:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7136, "RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
In response to Reply # 2

+1 for what Dino said
your clutch disc has probably absorbed a decent amount of oil if you're going through a quart a week through the rear main. There's no way to clean the disc enough to get any grip once it's so saturated that it's slipping. fix the leak and put a new clutch in.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

spooled420Apr-27-08 01:15 PM
204 posts,
#7137, "RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ok well heres what I purchased from ebay and they claim its stage 1 but since its ebay I'm not sur hopefully I did good on this purchase http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-ECLIPSE-TALON-LASER-NEON-2-0L-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-420A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ007QQitemZ170213956655QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW any ideas?If link doesnt work just go on ebay and keyword (420a clutch)its the onlyone there.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-27-08 02:37 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#7138, "RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
In response to Reply # 4

What makes it a Stage 1? Did you ask?

spooled420Apr-28-08 01:58 PM
204 posts,
#7139, "RE: awe geez..slippin clutch but other suspects?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
What makes it a Stage 1? Did you ask?

I asked the seller now just waiting on a reply back,well see what he says.

spooled420May-07-08 07:31 PM
204 posts,
#7162, "RE: Awe sh*t!..."
In response to Reply # 6

Ok so I get the tranny out without removing the passenger sside half shaft and it gave me enough room to pull the clutch and and rear main.The rear main came out with a simple grab and slight twist and was pretty torn back,so in goes the new oem apex brand one I bought And after trying to get it in with minimum room to work with somehow I managed to wedge it in past flush and reading up on it it seems I want it around a finger nail out from flush(even though chilton doesnt state anything about how far to wedge it in go figure) and the way its installed now its in a bit deeper then flush Just 1 more thing to worry about during re assembly...

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-08-08 11:02 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#7163, "RE: Awe sh*t!..."
In response to Reply # 7

No you want the rear main in as far as it goes. Dont worry your fine.

Terry

spooled420May-10-08 12:00 PM
204 posts,
#7168, "RE: update"
In response to Reply # 7
May-10-08 09:13 PM by spooled420

well I finally got the time off work to finish the project now all that is left is to fill the trans axle with transaxle lubricate because of coarse when I pulled the drive shaft out and the oil started pouring out I paniced and poured it in a dirty oil drain pan before it got everywhere so it was ruined,off to the dealership I went so I get there and they couldnt figure out wht exactly to get me so I had to go back home and write down my vin number and bring a sample of the old lubricante to further make sure I get the right stuff,Well the vin comes back and says I have a dd4 tranny and it takes a certain cheap red atf that looked nothing like the gear oil that came out of my drive shaft?but according to there computer thats what it takes because that year took that type and same with the neon he said,so after hanging out at a dealership for an hour I finally came to the conclusion and chose mopar manual transaxle lubricate nv t350 and bought two quarts for around $40 buck so I hope I got the right stuff

spooled420May-10-08 09:11 PM
204 posts,
#7169, "RE: update"
In response to Reply # 9

all done...no leeks no probs nada,Thx again for the help peep

spooled420May-16-08 11:50 AM
204 posts,
#7176, "RE: update..but bad news haha"
In response to Reply # 10

ok so evrything seemed fine but when I accelerate hard the car wobbles pretty nasty so I was talkin with a tech about how I didnt machine the flywheel and everything looked ok and was removed and torqued properly so he says that usually if it was my flywheel it would wobble at idle and rev and not only wot.well as I told you folks earler when I took off the trans I had left the passenger side drive shaft on so I decicde to jack up the car and have a looksy and what do you know the shaft has a nasty wobble,Not too sure if its supposed to have any free play but Im gonna assume this is the problem so doesanyone know anyone selling one real cheap?plz let me know thank.

RoninEclipse2GMay-16-08 12:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7177, "RE: update..but bad news haha"
In response to Reply # 11
May-16-08 12:36 PM by RoninEclipse2G

That sucks that the shaft has a wobble. Your flywheel can't be the problem when you're using the modular clutch, not physically possible because you can't machine it.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

ModeratorbullettdsmMay-17-08 12:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#7179, "RE: update..but bad news haha"
In response to Reply # 12

You can post in the FS section but you can also get a newly rebuilt for around $50 to $70 depending on where you live and where you get it from.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #7133 Previous topic | Next topic