Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #648
View in threaded mode

Subject: "spirited shifting noise" Previous topic | Next topic
docta doomMay-09-03 03:04 PM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
240 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#648, "spirited shifting noise"

When i'm doing some "spirited" driving or racing, i get really into shifting and i shift a bit hard, so when i shift into 2nd sometimes it'll make this noise like my transmission is gonna fall off and blow up and die and who knows what else. is this the "overshift" that i read about in summit and jegs sometimes when i'm reading about their shifters? how bad is this for the car and how do you prevent it?

sucker MC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
UberingramMay-09-03 05:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#649, "RE: spirited shifting noise"
In response to Reply # 0

I could be wrong but this is what my dad told me cuz trannies are a whole nother world:

Shifting too fast and getting that sound is you smackin the syncro. I imagine that metal teeth not lining up together will eventually where them down. Thats how it was with my jeep but for this car it may be different.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

docta doomMay-12-03 08:51 AM
240 posts,
#662, "RE: spirited shifting noise"
In response to Reply # 1

hmm that kinda sucks, cuz as it is i could probably shift 1-2 faster than that, but the noise scared me so i didn't wanna break anything.

sucker MC

Teamner947May-13-03 10:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#683, "RE: spirited shifting noise"
In response to Reply # 2

you're granny shifting man, try double clutching.

ha

but for real, double clutching and toe heeling makes gearchanges like butter. soooo smooth. too bad it makes shifts take forever. i only double clutch when i'm downshifting sometimes, when i'm not in a hurry and i want to preserve the synchros a little longer.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

HadesOmegaMay-13-03 10:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#684, "RE: spirited shifting noise"
In response to Reply # 3

>you're granny shifting man, try double clutching.
>
>ha
>
>but for real, double clutching and toe heeling makes
>gearchanges like butter. soooo smooth. too bad it makes shifts
>take forever. i only double clutch when i'm downshifting
>sometimes, when i'm not in a hurry and i want to preserve the
>synchros a little longer.

Your not suppose to use any of those techniques for upshifting they're stricty for downshifting smoothly to keep the cars balance precise smooth and of course to save your tranny and clutch some wear and tear.

that stuff terreto was spewing out in F&F after the drag racing is BS

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

docta doomMay-17-03 02:57 PM
240 posts,
#719, "RE: spirited shifting noise"
In response to Reply # 4

>Your not suppose to use any of those techniques for upshifting
>they're stricty for downshifting smoothly to keep the cars
>balance precise smooth and of course to save your tranny and
>clutch some wear and tear.
>
>that stuff terreto was spewing out in F&F after the drag
>racing is BS

yeah, a friend of mine that road races (SCCA type stuff... motherfucker's like 18 and he has a new M3 ) told me about heel n toe and double clutching and shit. i can't really heel n toe super well because my legs are too fucking long so i can't move my foot horizontal enough to get good pressure on the brake pedal while goosing the gas. i do it every now and then but normally i just depress the clutch and goose the gas to rev match down to 3rd and then use the brake until i get to the bottom of 3rd, then i put it in neutral and brake the rest of the way to whatever i'm stopping for.

anyway... yeah that noise is probably the synchro not being able to keep up with me which sucks. and i can't chirp 2nd anymore cuz of my 225 yokohamas that have ungodly amounts of grip and that my car is most likely down on power compared to a well maintained 2GNT. i'm gonna pull another tranny one of these days so i can get it beefed up and stuff (esp since my 3rd gear synchro is a bit worn out, and i've been told it would be cheaper to pull a tranny then to take it to a transmission shop to get fixed) so perhaps in that tranny i'll find a way to do something about it keeping up with my lighting quick shifts lol. j/k i probably dont shift as fast as a lot of peopl

sucker MC

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #648 Previous topic | Next topic