Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #609
View in linear mode

Subject: "Roller bushing troubles..." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TMay-04-03 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#609, "Roller bushing troubles..."

Fellas,

Well, the first day of my engine swap went without a hitch until I tried mating the tranning casing halves back together after fitting my diferential with a LSD and safing brackets. Apparently, my buddy was just a little too harsh with trying to press them together and the infamous roller bushing cage cracked. After a review of the archives, I can see this isn't something that's unheard of as it's happened before with others.

So, now I get to buy a new roller bearing cartridge for the output shaft. (PT# 476093)

I've seen the techniques with cardboard or turning the tranny upside down so as to set the gear portion of the halves onto the bellhousing side. I think I'll give it a try with turning it the other way, rather than the cardboard as I really have no idea how that works.

Anyone else have any ideas on a better way to mate the halves or can further elaborate on the cardboard technique? Will this upside down method really prove to work (I see there's a plastic washer than can fall out upside down)??

Everything's gone awesome until that happened. I havce the engine all ready with even the new Timing belt on, oil pan to valve cover and intake manifold on (I only need some new exhaust manifold studs)! Hopefully everything else goes well. If this is the worst of it, I've really been fortunate for my first time!

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Roller bushing troubles..., JustOne, May-04-03 11:12 PM, #1
RE: Roller bushing troubles..., TeamJasonESi_T, May-05-03 06:16 AM, #2
RE: Roller bushing troubles..., TeamJasonESi_T, May-05-03 09:27 AM, #3
      RE: Roller bushing troubles..., Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-05-03 10:46 AM, #4
           RE: Roller bushing troubles..., JustOne, May-05-03 09:29 PM, #5
                RE: Roller bushing troubles..., HadesOmega, May-06-03 01:27 PM, #6
                     RE: Roller bushing troubles..., TeamJasonESi_T, May-06-03 07:15 PM, #7
                          RE: Roller bushing troubles..., TeamMichael_97RS, May-07-03 04:26 AM, #8
                               RE: Roller bushing troubles..., HadesOmega, May-07-03 11:06 AM, #9

JustOneMay-04-03 11:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#612, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 0

It works for me. When the roller goes over the shaft the bearing rollers open up making the whole bearing piece too big for the sleeve that is on the bell housing. So I just decided one of the MANY times I had that POS tranny apart to reverse it because the bearing can't open when it’s in the sleeve. I would spend hours trying to get the bell housing onto the case but when I did it the opposite way (case onto bell housing) it clicked together in under a minute. I have also done this more than once so I know it works for me personally. Try it if you want but remember to let the case drain completely of oil or it will run out onto the gasket maker. As for the plastic washer I just put it on its shaft and it never slid off.

It all works for me so who knows it may work for you or it may not?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TMay-05-03 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#613, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 1

Well, I think I'll definitely give the upside down method a try. The techs at Chrysler recommended some greasing done to that spot as well.

The part should be here tomorrow. The damn thing cost me $46, so we're definitely going to be double careful this time.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

TeamJasonESi_TMay-05-03 09:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#616, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 1

Oh yeah, one other thing, I assume you put the differential on the bellhousing side upside down then, prior to dropping it this way?

Thanks!

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-05-03 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#619, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 3

One thing to keep in mind, Jason - that roller bearing on goes on one way. The "top" plastic ring is smaller than the "bottom" plastic ring. if you put it upside down, it won't spin freely, and will definately break when you try to reinstall the clutch housing. We think there is some slight taper to the bearing, as well...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

JustOneMay-05-03 09:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1278 posts,
#622, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 4

>if you put it upside down, it won't
>spin freely, and will definately
>break when you try to
>reinstall the clutch housing.

Meaning the bearing itself, not when putting the gear case down onto the bell housing. Make sure you put it in the sleeve in the correct position.

Yeah, I set the diff upside down on the bell housing side. (It makes the case a lot lighter)

>We think there is some slight
>taper to the bearing, as well...

There is.

HadesOmegaMay-06-03 01:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#623, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 5

haha yes that thing is a PITA to put back together, why could they just stick a cartridge in there or even make a cover where you can push it in from the bellhousing, it looks like something smart to do. Anyway I used the cardboard and string technique but I didn't turn the tranny upside down I did it from bellhousing down to tranny.

you use the piece of cardboard so it doesn't fall off the bellhousing when you put it on then slowly and carefully lower it in so the string is sticking out. Then when you hit those shifter rods start jiggling them and playing with them so they can line up with the holes. then try to lower it and try to peep into it to make sure the bearing aren't popping out (yeh mine was cracked when I put it in ) then carefully pull it out with the string. Its kinda tricky and might take a few times. make sure you have the rollerbearing so when you put it on the shaft it spins freely. One side will spin more freely than the other. Damn goofy chrysler why couldn't they at least use metal retainers

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

TeamJasonESi_TMay-06-03 07:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#625, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 6
May-06-03 07:19 PM by JasonESi_T

Hooray! I got it on, however, if that cage is cracked, do you think it would harm anything? or hurt the function of the bearing?

I'm sure people may have cracked that cage and not even known it at times when reinstalling the tranny halves. The plastic cage that holds the bearings together isn't even a hard plastic. Besides, the clearances are so tight, I know those roller bearings aren't going anywhere within the race.

The only real function of that cage has to be to keep the bearings in line during the mating of the tranny halves.

Oh yeah, instead of using the cardboard technique, I found the BEST way is to use so much grease on the bearing and the race, so as it will actually keep the bearing in the race. Then, while peering in at the top of the bellhousing while lowering to make sure the bearing stays up, lower the bellhousing on the gear casing.

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

TeamMichael_97RSMay-07-03 04:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#626, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 7

Nice idea to just pack it with bearing grease(I assume?) Glad it went together.

I don't think if the case got some damage that you be all that bad off. If everthing spins freely and there appear to be no problems, run with it.

I guess May is the month for Illinois car work: Your engine, my head, Brian's engine...

15.9 @ 86.7mph

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Cams, Hooker Header, ERT/Catco Cat, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

HadesOmegaMay-07-03 11:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#627, "RE: Roller bushing troubles..."
In response to Reply # 8

I kinda tried the grease thing bearing just fell off and the bearings popped out haha. oh yes did you make sure all the bearings were in there when you put it back on like take a quick peep b4 dropped the housing on it. if the retainer is cracked sometimes the bearing pop out.

yeh I hope its fine to run with a cracker retainer. Mine was cracked but still held it form just that the bearing would pop out now.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #609 Previous topic | Next topic