Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5348
View in linear mode

Subject: "2001 neon tranny swap info." Previous topic | Next topic
surgeon_generalApr-15-06 04:30 PM
Member since Mar 29th 2006
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5348, "2001 neon tranny swap info."

hey guys, and yes i used the search button haha. my car is a 1995 talon auto. I picked up a 2001 neon r/t 5-speed tranny today for 150 bucks. I know about swapping the sensors out for the most part, i dont need a m/t computer but eventually im going to get one. I need a throw-out bearing and clutch and pedal. now here are my questions..

since the tranny has a hydraulic clutch, do i need to swap the bellhousing out?

should i buy a clutch for the 2001 neon r/t or a 5 speed talon?

what kinda of shifter linkage/s do i need to buy?

if i keep the bellhousing i know ill need the clutch master cylinder and lines.

any help would be GREATLY appreciated. My auto tranny runs fine so theres no hurry for me to get the parts, once i get everything i need (you always need more stuff though) ill set a weekend aside and swap it all over. thanks again,
steve

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., surgeon_general, Apr-16-06 05:07 PM, #1
RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., donnyb373, Apr-17-06 07:24 AM, #2
      RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., Chamuko, Apr-17-06 08:31 AM, #3
           RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., surgeon_general, Apr-17-06 02:01 PM, #4
                RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-17-06 03:52 PM, #5
                     RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., surgeon_general, Apr-17-06 06:34 PM, #6
                          RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Apr-17-06 07:47 PM, #7
                               RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., Chamuko, Apr-19-06 07:03 AM, #8
                                    RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info., surgeon_general, Apr-21-06 08:23 AM, #9

surgeon_generalApr-16-06 05:07 PM
65 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5349, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 0

alright im sure the bellhousing will bolt up and stuff, could you guys just reinforce the info at all.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

donnyb373Apr-17-06 07:24 AM
Member since Apr 07th 2004
1122 posts,
#5350, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 1

the tranny will bolt up and work fine

ChamukoApr-17-06 08:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5351, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-17-06 08:32 AM by Chamuko

since ite the hydraulic setup everything is a direct bolt in procedure. The clutches are the same. Get those parts and get going.

the linkages are from any 5 spd NT eclipse/talon 95-99 that is. Its the same as the single one you have now, but it has 2. The boul into the firewall from the Passenger compartment.

Have your read the lousy write up? Could you please take pics of everything and some notes to add to it? Ill give credit where its due.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

surgeon_generalApr-17-06 02:01 PM
65 posts,
#5353, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 3

hey thanks for verifying that. my friend has a 1g he's scrapping and im going to look into using the master cylinder off that, maybe even the pedal.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-17-06 03:52 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#5354, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 4

the bellhousing is fine, You might have the change the shift levers or find the E-clips that will work with the neon levers. No 1g parts will work. You will need all 2g parts from a non turbo car. The pedal and master will work if you find one from a turbo car obviously. THe shifter assy from a turbo car will work but you need the non turbo cables.

Chamuko...what lousy writeup are you referring to?

Terry

surgeon_generalApr-17-06 06:34 PM
65 posts,
#5356, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 5

terry, thanks for the further info, i gotcha on the shifter cable parts because of the turbo car having the 4g63 motor having a different tranny, wrong side of the car, etc, etc

i dont mean to offend you by asking about the master cylinder again but on autozone the part numbers for the 1g turbo and 2g n/t are the same for the master made by beck--something i cant recall the full name. the only reason about this is hopefully my friend can hook me up with it fairly cheap. i think i'll just have to further investigate that. but most likely you'll end up right.

i think im going to just have to hit sechrist, the semi local u pull it yard around here and pull the whole shifter/cable assembly out if i can find it.

i was also wondering what writeup he was referring to, no biggie though. if i was unclear on anything i apologize.

once again thanks for all the help so far.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-17-06 07:47 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#5357, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 6

No offense taken but i have worked on all forms of the DSMs when i was a mechanic, the master is very different from the 1g to 2g. You will see once you look at it.

Autozone carries Beck & Arney of something like that. Dont be surprised if tyhe numbers are wrong. They still argue the 97 GSX had single piston calipers!

Good luck parts hunting, that can be the most fun of a project.

Terry

ChamukoApr-19-06 07:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5358, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 7

this one

http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/ATtoMT%20with%20pictures%20in%20document.htm

parts list

http://www34.brinkster.com/chamukogs/Parts%20list%20for%20the%20swap.htm

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

surgeon_generalApr-21-06 08:23 AM
65 posts,
#5361, "RE: 2001 neon tranny swap info."
In response to Reply # 8

haha alright, i was just hoping i could get some parts without much hunting haha. thanks again for all the info. you guys are a good bit of help

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5348 Previous topic | Next topic