Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5254
View in threaded mode

Subject: "limited slip" Previous topic | Next topic
fourtraxMar-17-06 12:37 PM
Member since Mar 12th 2006
31 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5254, "limited slip"

I read the article on the retrofit limited slip and was wondering if someone has tried one and how much one was. Is there a website?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-17-06 05:32 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5255, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-17-06 05:34 PM by Star Turbo Talon

I have one and a few other members do also. They work very nicely, you can feel a different from the day you install it. Exile racing sells them. If i recall they are around 450.00 + your diff.

Your Diff is machined to accept the retrofit and shimmed to create the amount of resistance the built differential has. If that makes sense.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ForceFed420aApr-04-06 08:46 AM
Member since Oct 18th 2004
620 posts,
#5311, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 1

My apologies for bringing up an old(er) thread.

I'm curious about this. Can you help me understand what they do to give the LSD effect?

Also, I looked on their website and didn't find anything under Mitsu or Dodge. Is it something that you have to contact them for?

Thanks,
Brian

Red 97 Eclipse GS (420a) MTX
Custom Garrett T3 Turbo system
Megasquirt w/52 lb/hr injectors & a Walbro 255
Kicker/Alpine Audio (3 amps, 2 subs)
90 Cav 2.2 TBI auto (winter) <- yeah, it's fast

ChamukoApr-04-06 03:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#5312, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 2
Apr-04-06 03:22 PM by Chamuko

friction type.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-04-06 06:23 PM
8331 posts,
#5313, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 3

Do you remeber the sure grip posi units of the early 60's mopar days? Or eve seen the rear end of a 93+ CAMARO?

What the object is to do is try to keep the spydergears from spinning. So you add some type of clutch friction material between the spydergear and carrier then add a type of spring asy to force the gear to the friction material. this way the gear can turn if forced to but will resist movement under operation. This is how the suregrip was assembled. Do a search on "sure-grip" or "mopar posi" to get a diagram.

Now since our carrier doesnt have room to place clutch type plates between the spydergears and carrier, what is done in the retrofit is to take the spring assy between the spydergears and add friction material to that. Now the gears must turn when the friction material is pushing against them. the reason the spring assy doesnt spin is because the diff pin goes right through it and forces it to move with the carrier.

Terry

techboyApr-05-06 05:13 PM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#5314, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 4

I have one and I wouldn't trade it for the world. I don't care how fast your car is. A retrofit is the total difference off the line. It did take a while for Exile to get the whole thing turned around, so unless you have a spare transmission prepare for some downtime. I would highly recommend that you get a retrofit. If your going to make any kind of power out of your motor you need to keep the tires stuck to the ground or it ends up being worthless.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

baxsomApr-06-06 12:25 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2004
758 posts,
#5315, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 5

i should have went with the retrofit as well looking back because I spent quite a lot on a quaife thats still sitting in a garage waiting to be installed.

On the other hand if someone needs a differential to send off to Exile so they dont have any down time pm me.

1996 eclipse GS-T
1968 Ford Mustang
2004 Suzuki GSXR600
2006 Honda CBR1000RR
Decisions Decisions

ForceFed420aApr-06-06 06:54 AM
620 posts,
#5316, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks a lot for all the responses. This seems like a very viable alternative to a whole new diff. I was interested in the OBX, but baxom's experience is a little unnerving. I understand many guys with Neons are running fine with them, and many honda's as well. I dunno, I guess it's nice to keep the options open with positive opinions from members who have actually had this done to their diff.

Couple questions (I apologize as they're probably elementary)

1. Is there a projected "life" to the friction material? I would assume, as with all friction material--ie. clutches and brakes-- there is a life expectancy. With those who have had this retrofit done, have you ever been concerned that the friction material will wear, and thus necessitate another retrofit?

2. Again, I don't see any options for this on Exile's website. Is it a service that is still offered?

3. I'm assuming this helps preserve the diff pin, as the wheels rotate together as opposed to one at a time. Correct?

4. Once this is done to your diff, do you get your diff back or another's? If you get your diff back, do you have to go about setting preload on the diff when reinstalling if it's the same thing?

Thanks,
Brian

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-06-06 04:50 PM
8331 posts,
#5317, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by ForceFed420a
Thanks a lot for all the responses. This seems like a very viable alternative to a whole new diff. I was interested in the OBX, but baxom's experience is a little unnerving. I understand many guys with Neons are running fine with them, and many honda's as well. I dunno, I guess it's nice to keep the options open with positive opinions from members who have actually had this done to their diff. Couple questions (I apologize as they're probably elementary)

1. Is there a projected "life" to the friction material? I would assume, as with all friction material--ie. clutches and brakes-- there is a life expectancy. With those who have had this retrofit done, have you ever been concerned that the friction material will wear, and thus necessitate another retrofit? Not sure on the life expectancy but many members have had them for a couple years at least now.

2. Again, I don't see any options for this on Exile's website. Is it a service that is still offered?

Yes i just got mine about a month back, send steve an email inquiring

3. I'm assuming this helps preserve the diff pin, as the wheels rotate together as opposed to one at a time. Correct?

The diff pin doesnt get presearved, the diff pi doesnt actually wear. the reason some people have issues with the Diff pin in that the retaining pin that holds the diff pin in place comes out allowing the diff pin to slide out of the carrier.

4. Once this is done to your diff, do you get your diff back or another's? If you get your diff back, do you have to go about setting preload on the diff when reinstalling if it's the same thing?

When this is done you send exile a diff and they build it and send it back to you. You do not have to set the preload. The preload is actually set in the trans cases. Now the preload in the actual retrofit is set by exile but the bearing preload of the diff doesnt change.

Terry

ForceFed420aApr-07-06 02:28 AM
620 posts,
#5318, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 8

Thank you very much Terry.

Brian

techboyApr-07-06 07:48 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#5323, "RE: limited slip"
In response to Reply # 9

Not sure on the life expectancy thing either ... my car is not a daily driver, and I pull it off insurance during the winter where it sits garaged and covered. So, my car is lucky to see 3000 miles a year. So, I have never thought about the life of it. Mine has maybe 1500-2000 miles on it and I've had it 2 years now.

Interesting question about getting yours back. I was told that you would, so I put a small indescrete mark on my diff when I pulled it, and I indeed get my actual diff. back.

For more information, go to the Group Buy thread and do a search on Retrofit. You should be able to find the group buy thread from about 2 years ago when a whole bunch of us on the board bought them.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #5254 Previous topic | Next topic