Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3574
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sick of seeing /" First topic | Next topic
Teamner947Jan-07-10 01:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3574, "Sick of seeing /"
Dec-17-09 06:04 PM by Star Turbo Talon

If you're doing any work on your transmission that requires you to drain the fluid:

- Since the Beginning of the NVT350 the commended fluid has always been Dealer P/N 04874465. That was superceded by Mopar ATF+4.

- ATF+4 is available at any automotive Part Store chain, just make sure it states right on the quart that is is for NVT350.

- You will need 2 quarts.

- There are alternatives such as Amsoil product Code MTFQT-EA.
https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=212

- Some have reported good luck with Pennsoil Synchromesh.

- One 2GNT member reported bad luck with BG SynchroShift.

- If you choose any of the alternate Gear oils make sure one thing.....It states right on the bottle that it is formulated for the NVT350.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, boostdtalon, Dec-17-09 05:34 PM, #11
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-17-09 03:58 PM, #
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, RoninEclipse2G, Jul-31-09 03:59 PM, #7
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, Mattienorton, Dec-17-09 03:58 PM, #8
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-17-09 05:35 PM, #12
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, nate14732, Dec-17-09 05:56 PM, #13
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, link16, Nov-06-07 05:46 AM, #4
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, undisputed, Dec-17-09 06:02 PM, #14
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, MattitudeV1, Sep-14-05 02:16 AM, #1
      RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, eclipsed03, Oct-04-05 09:52 PM, #2
           RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, 95_ESi_Person, Nov-14-05 06:20 PM, #3
RE: Sick of seeing /, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Dec-17-09 06:05 PM, #15
RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads, Blizare, Dec-17-09 05:29 PM, #9
RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-17-09 06:06 PM, #16
RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, valdeelrico, Dec-17-09 05:31 PM, #10
RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, jazzkeys, Jun-30-09 01:28 PM, #5
      RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, jazzkeys, Jun-30-09 01:53 PM, #6
RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, 740 turbo brick, Dec-17-09 06:08 PM, #17
      RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-17-09 10:20 PM, #18
           RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, Purpose, Dec-18-09 06:36 PM, #19
                RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Dec-22-09 12:20 PM, #20
RE: Sick of seeing /, 95gsrebuild, Jul-07-11 09:42 AM, #21
RE: Sick of seeing /, jazzkeys, Jul-07-11 12:04 PM, #22
      RE: Sick of seeing /, iNoise, Nov-05-14 01:26 PM, #23
           RE: Sick of seeing /, jazzkeys, Nov-05-14 02:36 PM, #24
                RE: Sick of seeing /, iNoise, Nov-05-14 02:40 PM, #25
                     RE: Sick of seeing /, jazzkeys, Nov-05-14 03:29 PM, #26

boostdtalonDec-17-09 05:34 PM
Member since Jan 18th 2009
47 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8076, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=212

i can't say enough good things about this stuff. i put this stuff in a junk yard transmission and i swear it drives wonderfully!

stable: 05' Evo MR
95' GS (part of jackstand racing since 05')

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Dec-17-09 03:58 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#8082, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
75w90 vs 5w30? you have the wrong product

I think 75w90 is a tad thick for our MTX.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GJul-31-09 03:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#8083, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC 75w90 vs 5w30? you have the wrong product
I think 75w90 is a tad thick for our MTX.

A tad? I'd say a shit ton.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

MattienortonDec-17-09 03:58 PM
Member since Dec 12th 2009
31 posts,
#8346, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 11

Just picked up 2 quarts from my local satan here in town. Got it from the dude for 17 a quart.. ouch...

States right on the bottle NVT-350 trans ONLY. Guy was amazed how much it was lol they must not have too many of us coming to buy it.

Purchased some Royal Purple Synchromesh as well. Going to mix about 2/3rd of the bottle to the rest of the factory oil.

Will post my results after i get the clutch and new tranny bolted up. :-D

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-17-09 05:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#4473, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 4gotmore
when the wrong fluid is used has anyone seen the reverse brake material deteriorate? please forward to someone that can help. trans apart on bench now . please resond for more details.

All 3rd-5th + reverse brake synchro material is paper based and will deteriorate in improper fluids. This is why the factory fluid must be used - it is formulated to work with paper backed synchronizers.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

nate14732Dec-17-09 05:56 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
4 posts,
#6624, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 0

yeah some bastards recommended i use penzoil synchromesh and a year later tranny died.

link16Nov-06-07 05:46 AM
Member since Mar 27th 2007
63 posts,
#6760, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 13

I used some ATF+4 from salvo's the same it reccomened in the book to use in the neon and my 3rd and 2nd synchros are toast.

-Alex

That isn't an oil leak; it's sweat from all of that horsepower.

undisputedDec-17-09 06:02 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2004
157 posts,
#4704, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-11-05 05:04 PM by undisputed

I just got some fluid from chrysler last week so I figured I would post it up and it may be of use for people.
Edit: if you cant see the part number its 04874465

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gs 10th anniversary OZ edition
aem v2 CAI|Toyo Proxes FZ4|ADR Silver Sukodo wheels|Tsudo muffler|Tein S-Tech Springs|B&M short shifter
Cardomain page*new pics soon*
STILL SLOW

MattitudeV1Sep-14-05 02:16 AM
Member since Aug 27th 2004
120 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4755, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 14

Don't use BG Syncroshit. I had it in my car for 10k miles, then started getting grinding in 5th gear. May have been a clutch related issue, but it's shifting a lot better now with mopar fluid and a new clutch.

eclipsed03Oct-04-05 09:52 PM
Member since Apr 24th 2004
20 posts,
#4796, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 1

I reccomend adding lucas engine additive along with you oem fluid. it says on the bottle for use in light duty manual transmissions, I tried it once in mine and it elliminated any hard shifting I was having and it's running better than ever. Add it to your oil too it's good stuff...

You can also try a quick lube if you don't want to go to the dealer for the fluid. I know jiffy lube carries what they call GL-4 which is made by pennzoil and conforms to factory specs. I've had it in my tranny for over a year with no problems.

"if it wasn't for luck I"d win everytime" Phil Hellmuth Jr.

" the only thing worse than stupidity...is laziness"

95_ESi_PersonNov-14-05 06:20 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#4866, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 2

I've had the Mopar ATF+4 in my transmission for nearly 50k miles... I've changed it twice, once a year and believe me, this trans takes a lot of abuse and is obviously used quite a bit.

No problems at all.

It actually shifts smoother than the MTX fluid in the cold.

But this was on a freshly rebuilt transmission.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneDec-17-09 06:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#3599, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-17-09 06:06 PM by Star Turbo Talon

(Edit: Commenting on the use of ATF+4)

it's recommended in some of thenew gear boxes. Will it work in a T350? probably.

I'm going to stick with the tried and true from-the-factory fluid, regardless of what anyone says.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

BlizareDec-17-09 05:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
7595 posts,
#3624, "RE: Sick of seeing "what trans. fluid to use" threads"
In response to Reply # 15

Amsoil Full Synthetic cause my dads an AMsoil dealer so I get it for FREE!

whooters

I eat emo kids for breakfast

1995 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
72' SuperBeetle
72' Standard Beetle
56' Deluxe Beetle

RoninEclipse2GDec-17-09 06:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#7228, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 0

ATF+4 is available at walmart. 4.99 a quart

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

valdeelricoDec-17-09 05:31 PM
Member since Mar 06th 2009
41 posts,
#7984, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
Well I sold those 2 quarts of Redline MT90 for what I paid, $18. Then I went to the dodge/chrysler dealer, up to the parts counter and straight told the guy "I need some trans fluid for a Mitsubishi" Immediately he was like 420a, NV-T350? I was like yep. lol. At first he said they were $18.50 a quart. I looked at him for a good 10 seconds and was like Ok now whats the lowest you can get me. He said they pay $10 a quart so the lowest he could go was $15. So I spent $31 on fluid today, Im hoping it pays off with a healty trans though.

So i'm going to change my mtx oil. it's about time. its 30k past due. I went to my local dealer and it was only 14 bucks. why is this stuff getting cheaper? are they changing the formula? is demand that low for it? it is the right oil "For use in NV-T350 (A578) Transaxles" says the label. I had to go back to the counter to make sure he sold me the right stuff. last week it was 30 a quart. check you dealer let me know?

jazzkeysJun-30-09 01:28 PM
Member since Jan 17th 2008
30 posts,
#7986, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 10

Last time I looked, the Walmart brand of ATF-4 meets the MS9417 transaxle lubricant specification, so it's safe to use in the NV-T350, and the best value.

I've read that the Walmart lubricants are manufactured by Quaker State under the "Super Tech" brand, and meet all American Petroleum Institute specs that are inferred by the package label. Walmart is very strict with their suppliers; no messing around if you wanna sell to Walmart.

Not necessary to spend more on branded products, including those from the OEMs (Chrysler doesn't make lubricants) that are heavily advertised and much more expensive. Those high-revving-engine-with-magic-oil cartoons from the oil megacorporations that fund the Speed Channel are annoying.

And don't fall for the mendacious "high mileage" engine oil advertisements. No engineering basis; it's just disinformation.

When I worked in fleet maintenance, we purchased lubricants and fuel from the lowest bidders (usually, anyway). All supplies met the pertinent specs, and we never had quality problems because unreliable suppliers immediately lost their contracts.

HTH.
Andy in The OC.

jazzkeysJun-30-09 01:53 PM
30 posts,
#7987, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by jazzkeys
Last time I looked, the Walmart brand of ATF-4 meets the MS9417 transaxle lubricant specification, so it's safe to use in the NV-T350, and the best value. I've read that the Walmart lubricants are manufactured by Quaker State under the "Super Tech" brand, and meet all American Petroleum Institute specs that are inferred by the package label. Walmart is very strict with their suppliers; no messing around if you wanna sell to Walmart. Not necessary to spend more on branded products, including those from the OEMs (Chrysler doesn't make lubricants) that are heavily advertised and much more expensive. Those high-revving-engine-with-magic-oil cartoons from the oil megacorporations that fund the Speed Channel are annoying. And don't fall for the mendacious "high mileage" engine oil advertisements. No engineering basis; it's just disinformation. When I worked in fleet maintenance, we purchased lubricants and fuel from the lowest bidders (usually, anyway). All supplies met the pertinent specs, and we never had quality problems because unreliable suppliers immediately lost their contracts. HTH. Andy in The OC.

Update: Walmart's "Super Tech" oil is supplied by Shell, which now owns the Pennzoil and Quaker State brands. Shell operates a subsidiary called SOPUS Products, though which retail brands are sold.

It's kinda like beer these days: Almost all brands come from a few transnational companies. Q: Who brews Killian's Irish Red? A: Molson Coors.

740 turbo brickDec-17-09 06:08 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#7261, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 16
Dec-17-09 06:08 PM by Star Turbo Talon

I went to Walmart the other day, I went to look to see if there was indeed ATF-4. There was, I read the back and it says use for automatic transmissions and some Chrysler or Mitsubishi Manual transmissions.

And get this, right next to it was a quart of ATF-4 that said MOPAR right on it! :| It looks just like the dealers nv-t350 bottle but had ATF-4 on it. I read the back and it also said can be used in nv-t350. Walmart fluid was $3.50 a quart, MOPAR fluid was $5 a quart. I spent $15 a quart at the dealer, but whatev I guess, I have extra money to spend.

Edit: (condensed from other post made by this User)
I just thought Id update this, I have $15 a quart dealer lube in my tranny now, and the thing shifts like a dream. Theres absolutely no resistance to go into any gear, and surprisingly, there is no "CLACK" when you shift into reverse.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

95_ESi_PersonDec-17-09 10:20 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#8379, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 17

I ran Mopar ATF+4 for over 5 years with no issues. But, I'm no expert.

PurposeDec-18-09 06:36 PM
Member since Jul 30th 2009
42 posts,
#8385, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 18

Did some searches and may have found some helpful information.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=40650&mode=full

Banned

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonDec-22-09 12:20 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#8389, "RE: MOPAR ATF-4 is now available at Walmart"
In response to Reply # 19

That post is damn near useless. 1 guy with leakign trans puts different fluid in and the trans goes 4 days later.....never mind he prolly ran the trans dry to start with.

Other idiot claims the neon trans is different. Let me clue you in....stop rings are the same P/N.

95gsrebuildJul-07-11 09:42 AM
Member since Jul 06th 2011
3 posts,
#8823, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 0

I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to update based on this now being 2011.
Called Chrysler / Dodge dealer regarding purchase of factory fluid. They damn near hung up on me. "Sorry, can't help you".
Called Mitsubishi garage, and they told me that they could get it for me, but I had to buy it by the case (at $15/qt) because they were sure as hell not stocking it.
Looked up Amsoil. Regional guy stocking it in his basement or some such thing. $15/qt + shipping.
ATF+4 is in it now, although I do have 3 qts of Penn. Syncromesh sitting in my garage.
I just don't have the ballz to try the Syncromesh as it does not say that it meets the Chrysler spec.

jazzkeysJul-07-11 12:04 PM
30 posts,
#8824, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 21

Royal Purple Synchromax is also MS9417 compatible. Here's the x-reference chart. Scroll down to "Daimler-Chrylser Transaxles" (sic; somebody at Royal Purple can't spell):
http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-chart.html

I installed it in my '96 420A transaxle about 60K miles ago, and no issues. Pep Boys sells it for $18.99/qt.

However, next time that I replace the transaxle lube, I'll use the Walmart ATF+4. It meets the MS9417 spec, it's much cheaper, and last time I checked, it was provided to Walmart by Shell Consumer Products division.

Note that even the "severe usage" maintenance schedule in my Mr. Bishi service manual does not specify replacement of the manual transaxle lube, except for the turbo model, in which case the replacement period is 30K miles. Otherwise, the maintenance task is level inspection only, every 30K miles.

But it's obviously cheap insurance to keep clean lube in the transaxle, as long as it's the CORRECT lube.

iNoiseNov-05-14 01:26 PM
Member since Dec 17th 2009
47 posts,
#9122, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 22

Ed Peters Says best fluid to use is Mobile 1 High Mileage motor oil

jazzkeysNov-05-14 02:36 PM
30 posts,
#9123, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 23

Dunno who Ed Peters is, but to use engine oil in the NV-T350 transaxle, even if it is a synthetic blend, is foolish, unless you're using the car for demolition derby competition. I checked the MSDS for Mobil 1 "High Mileage" engine oil, and the rating is only API SL, or CF for Diesel.

I recently replaced the transaxle lubricant in my '96 Eclipse GS with Walmart's Supertech ATF+4 and it's a marvelous improvement, even with now 175,000 miles. And you can't beat the price.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (built 7/1995)

iNoiseNov-05-14 02:40 PM
Member since Dec 17th 2009
47 posts,
#9124, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by jazzkeys
Dunno who Ed Peters is, but to use engine oil in the NV-T350 transaxle, even if it is a synthetic blend, is foolish, unless you're using the car for demolition derby competition. I checked the MSDS for Mobil 1 "High Mileage" engine oil, and the rating is only API SL, or CF for Diesel. I recently replaced the transaxle lubricant in my '96 Eclipse GS with Walmart's Supertech ATF+4 and it's a marvelous improvement, even with now 175,000 miles. And you can't beat the price.

Ed peters was the head engineer for transmissions at Chrysler... He explains it all in a video and ive read all over the neon forums the same thing too.

jazzkeysNov-05-14 03:29 PM
30 posts,
#9126, "RE: Sick of seeing /"
In response to Reply # 25

Ah. Interesting. Here's Mr. Peters's discussion on YouTube:

I note several things. Firstly, Mr. Peters was a racer and received sponsorship (i.e., ca$h) from Exxon Mobil for his racing program. Of course, he's gonna endorse Exxon Mobil products.

Secondly, race cars don't have warranties. If the transaxle failed in a Peters racecar, they either rebuilt it or scrapped it. If Mr. Peters decided to use Mobil 1 High Mileage engine oil in his transaxles, he was free to do so but he bore full responsibility.

Thirdly, if your transaxle fails because of your use of an unspecified fluid, you'll get no help from Mitsubishi USA or Fiat Chrysler. The warranties are weak to start with. It's sad how little support the manufacturers provide to customers. A friend paid $50K for her BMW 335i and the transmission failed at 70K miles. BMW USA is unprepared to do anything for you other than a new transmission, which is a $7K job.

But also read SAE Technical Paper 982674 about the development of AT+4. You can find it with Google. You'll gain an understanding of the R&D that was invested in the development of ATF+4 and why it's the best choice for your car.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS (built 7/1995)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3574First topic | Next topic