Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3373
View in linear mode

Subject: "SPEC broken stuff thread (split from pits)" Previous topic | Next topic
Joshua97478Aug-31-04 08:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3373, "SPEC broken stuff thread (split from pits)"
Aug-31-04 08:24 AM by ner947

Originally posted by ner947
Spring fell out of the disk 3 months ago. Got everything back together, was happy, then the pressure plate broke 3 days ago. Great.

I don't know alot about clutches, buty i do know that doesnt look good... or cheap. Sorry to hear it.

Fucking Kangaroos.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: I hate SPEC some more..., Ducking_Fumbass, Aug-31-04 08:21 AM, #
RE: I hate SPEC some more..., Teamner947, Aug-31-04 08:21 AM, #
      RE: I hate SPEC some more..., MrSlick, Aug-31-04 08:21 AM, #
           RE: I hate SPEC some more..., TeamStan2gnt, Aug-31-04 08:21 AM, #
                RE: I hate SPEC some more..., SILVERNT, Aug-31-04 08:21 AM, #
                     RE: I hate SPEC some more..., Teamner947, Aug-31-04 08:21 AM, #1

Ducking_FumbassAug-31-04 08:21 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2004
1147 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3374, "RE: I hate SPEC some more..."

Yeah, I bet that's the problem. I bet that NER put the flexplate on with a sledgehammer.

C'mon, man, use a socket and a ratchet next time.

Seriously, though, what do you propose was done wrong on the install that caused a pressure plate to fragment?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Aug-31-04 08:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#3375, "RE: I hate SPEC some more..."

Well, I do have a half-assed theory.

The SPEC stage 3 disk is a 6 puck clutch. When the disk broke, I replaced it with a 4 puck Clutchmasters stage 4 disk, but kept the old Fidanza flywheel and SPEC pressure plate. I checked them for flatness and didn't see any cracks so I re-installed them without doing anything to them.

So, the pressure plate breaks in 3 out of 4 90 degree increments, coincidence? Maybe it wasn't designed for use with a 4 puck disk? Who knows, but once I get the Clutchmasters disk in the mail I will post pictures of all 3 side by side.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

MrSlickAug-31-04 08:21 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
1120 posts,
#3376, "RE: I hate SPEC some more..."

My best friend had a SPEC in his Trans Am... well guess what last week the spring fell out just like your's...

SPEC told him that they've seen that a few times with the older designs, and that they changed to a new design to prevent such a thing happening again...

I saw the new plate and it does have a better design in the spring area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Megasquirt powered 420A
Custom turbo system

http://www.ms-custom.com

TeamStan2gntAug-31-04 08:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#3377, "RE: I hate SPEC some more..."

I had a clutchmasters stage 3 as well and while it was alright it wasn't worth the $700 it cost at the time. After a year it started slipping. That was the last time I ever bought a fucking modular clutch! Centerforce dual friction was okay but I could get it to slip on hard shifts. It was worn pretty good when I replaced it but nothing major wrong with it. The Spec I only drove from the shop to my house then sold my turbo kit and parked the car so cant say mush about it. Come to think of it I must have had about 7 clutches and 4 tranny's in the talon so dont feel too bad about going thru them. Its all apart of the game.

BTW I laugh at the current spec clutch prices. I bought mine before they became so popular directly from spec (the only place you could buy them at the time). I paid $329 for my stage 3 which is the exact same 6 puck ceramic stage 3 clutch I see being sold now for $549. They are getting pretty popular in the audi/vw market as well now. An Audi S4 clutch cost like $800 for a damn disc and pressure plate!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

SILVERNTAug-31-04 08:21 AM
Member since Oct 05th 2002
4543 posts,
#3378, "RE: I hate SPEC some more..."

Originally posted by Stan2gnt
I paid $329 for my stage 3 which is the exact same 6 puck ceramic stage 3 clutch I see being sold now for $549.

we sell the stage 3 for $415

Teamner947Aug-31-04 08:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#3379, "RE: I hate SPEC some more..."
In response to Reply # 0

Looks like this thread needs to be split... Not really, but it's fun to use the split command because I never use it.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #3373 Previous topic | Next topic