Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #276
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is my shift linkage ruined?" Previous topic | Next topic
WickedESiMar-25-03 04:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#276, "Is my shift linkage ruined?"

I can barely shift into 2nd 4th and rev. It's impossible for me to race my car right now. When I put it into any of those gears I can keep pressed the shifter back until the shifter touches the black boot around the shift linkage. I looked in the engine bay and had a helper keep pull the shifter back in those gears, and the shift linkage is flexing somewhere, I think inside the engine bay. I can see the actually shift cable come out of the hose inisde the engine bay and the whole setup press against the selector on the transmission untill it flexes upward. I believe whatever broke/got loose when my hydraulic line to my slave cylinder leaked all the fluid out and I had to ram it into gear to keep the car moving.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, vegasdsmr, Mar-25-03 04:36 PM, #1
RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, The1Bill, Mar-25-03 08:28 PM, #2
      RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, Clay, Mar-25-03 10:03 PM, #3
           RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, WickedESi, Mar-25-03 10:42 PM, #4
                RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, WickedESi, Mar-26-03 06:12 PM, #5
                     RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, TeamMichael_97RS, Mar-27-03 05:37 AM, #6
                          RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, WickedESi, Mar-27-03 09:32 AM, #7
                               RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-27-03 10:04 AM, #8
                                    RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, WickedESi, Mar-27-03 10:17 AM, #9
                                         RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, WickedESi, Mar-27-03 01:42 PM, #10
                                              RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-28-03 07:42 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?, WickedESi, Apr-07-03 08:02 AM, #12

vegasdsmrMar-25-03 04:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#277, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 0

pull your console, and look towards the engine/firewwall...

notice the black cylinder deal.. that should go all the way to the firewall side of the shifter linkage cable.. if it is loose, it will pop off, and slide down..

yo uneed to jb weld that shit back into place w/out gettin the jb weld on the linkage cable...

just pop the console, and look at the cable.. if that black plastic cylinder deal is loose, thats your problem...

search too, this has been brought up many of times.... i know "vegastoy" the user had the same problem, and i helped him fix it....

hurricaneGS has some good pix of what im talkin about, but i will let you search to find em..

good luck

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

The1BillMar-25-03 08:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#278, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 1

I bet that you lost one of the horseshoe clips that holds the linkage in place against the bracket, either near the shifter or on the transmission. There should be a clip holding the linkage to a bracket. If you lost this clip, the symptoms that you are describing will happen. Go ahead. Ask me how I know... <grumble>
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

ClayMar-25-03 10:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
#279, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mar-25-03 10:04 PM by Clay

I had the same problem occur. The black plastic cylinder got accidentaly pulled out of its mounting point. Was about to use jb weld but was able to PUSH it back into its mount. You should hear it SNAP back into the mount. Your gonna have to put a good amount of force on it. Good luck

95 GST | So-Cal

WickedESiMar-25-03 10:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#280, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 3

Where exactly is this clip on the transmission? I saw where the cable connects to the gear selector, cotter pin in place, everything good there, it's flexing between the firewall and the pin I believe.

The clip right in front of the shifter (if that's what your talking about) was slightly up, I just took a small hammer and tapped it back down into place.

Joel Baldridge, ASE Certified Master Technician, Audi Certified Expert Technician

WickedESiMar-26-03 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#281, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 4

Okay here's an update, it seems like it will be an easy fix but I need help from someone who's done this before or can look at their linkage from a working car.

The linkage in the interior of my car is all good, I scoped it out from the shifter to the firewall.

I removed my strut bar, CAI, battery, battery tray, and washer fluid resvoir and found the problem.

On the linkage that sits further back and on the passenger side of the tranny (the one that's hard to get to) is were my problem is, the brass clip was just barely hanging on the line, I'm surprised it didn't fall off. The linkage was also poped out of the slot. There are a few ridges in the area, and I'm pretty sure I got the right one slid of the mount, but I'm not sure where I'm suppose to slide the brass clip. It's a differen't setup then the driver side linkage, so I don't know how to position the clip.

Can someone please help me out?

TeamMichael_97RSMar-27-03 05:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#283, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 5

The clip should slid in the front with a large part of the cable behind the bracket. holding it tight in place. You're going to need to get a hammer to pound thta clip back in place. If it goes in too easily without a hammer or other means of forcing it in, you will probably have the same problem shortly when it pops back out.

15.9 @ 86.7mph
97 Eclipse RS

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, P&P Intake, Crower Stage 2 Cams, Hooker Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, Crane Ign Amp, S-AFC

WickedESiMar-27-03 09:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#287, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 6

Alright, I'm going to go try this, I'll probably put some JB weld on it as well.

Sorry for the post not in the tranny forum, I fogot we had one :o

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-27-03 10:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#290, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 7

>Alright, I'm going to go try this, I'll probably put some JB
>weld on it as well.

DO NOT jb weld the clip to the bracket. You have to remove those clips to remove the shifter linkage from the trans if you ever have to drop it.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

WickedESiMar-27-03 10:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#291, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 8

....duh!!! lol, I'm retarded, thanks.

WickedESiMar-27-03 01:42 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#292, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 9

Ok, the linkage is dead, the clip that holds the actually cable inside the line came loose from trying to jam it into gear when my clutch master cylinder died, so the cable just comes out and flexes when trying to get into 2nd 4th or rev even w/ the retainer clip in place. The plastic boot and everything is torn to hell.

Would you recommend MagAuto.com to get the new linkage?

Manual Transaxle - 2.0L, W/O Turbo 1995-97, Shift Cable, Eclipse $66.58 + $5.95 shipping

Do you think this includes everything, shift cable?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-28-03 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#300, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 10

Give it a shot.. if it's wrong, send it back.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

WickedESiApr-07-03 08:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3090 posts,
#385, "RE: Is my shift linkage ruined?"
In response to Reply # 11

I got the shift linkage in Saturday, and put it in Saturday, easy switch.

I recommend Conicelli over the dealership for oem parts, it's cheaper and they ship it to your door.

For all those needing to tighten the brass clips:
Do not use JB Weld!!! You will never get the linkage off w/o cutting the brackets straight off, then you will have to weld new ones on. The clips just got straighten out, and you need to re-curve them. Take the brass clip out put it on the ground and hit the middle of the 2 "arms" when the fold at the top of the clip is getting pressed against the ground. This puts the curve back into them, which is how the clips are held into place. (You'll need a hammer to tap it back in if you did it correctly.)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #276 Previous topic | Next topic