Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2473
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission" Previous topic | Next topic
SexxieRacerChikMar-18-04 06:16 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1105 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2473, "Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
Mar-18-04 06:17 PM by SexxieRacerChik

Ok I have a question. (ok so not *a* question..maybe a few more then that lol)

I was talking to someone earlier today and was told that I could use a 95-00 neon 3:55 trannie in my 96 2gnt. I was told I would have to use my bellhousing and put the internals of the Neon transmission in it.

Now, we got cut short while talking and I didn't get to ask very many questions, so I'm gonna ask here and see what is said. If you've never done this before or never seen anyone do it..I value everyone's input but...please don't give me assumptions, I need dead on facts.

1. When I do this will I need a rebuild kit, or if the mileage is decent on the Neon internals can I just swap it on over?
2. I was told the Neon motor (99-00 I believe) came with a cable clutch instead of a modular...I dont think I'm going with a 99-00 I'm pretty sure the 3 I've found are 95-96, but just in case What do I do about that?
3. I know, from what the person told me earlier (about it making my car slower)that the gear ratio is going to change from 3: 94 to 3:55. Given that information I'm under the impression this will make my top end better and my bottem end worse, is this correct? (also aware that my gas mileage is going to decrease )
4. How hard should this be (on a scale of 1-5...1 being easy as a street walker and 5 being being hard as getting a nun out of her habit)
5. Will there be any machining necessary?
6. Will I need a Neon Chilton to do this?
7. And last but not least...if anyone who has done this before could give me a blow by blow I would So greatly appreciate it.

(For the person I was talking to about this, don't think I'm not trusting what you said...I just closed the AIM box without saving it first..so now I can't remember exactly what all you told me...I'm a dork sometimes lol)

Thanks in advance.

~Jennie~

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, bullox, Mar-18-04 07:38 PM, #1
RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, Super20G, Mar-19-04 02:58 AM, #2
      RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, extreme97nt, Mar-19-04 03:30 AM, #3
RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, TeamAvenger, Mar-19-04 05:21 AM, #4
RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, SexxieRacerChik, Mar-19-04 07:06 AM, #5
      RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-19-04 07:33 AM, #6
           RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, Super20G, Mar-19-04 09:28 AM, #7
                RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, SexxieRacerChik, Mar-19-04 10:49 AM, #8
                     RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-19-04 11:59 AM, #9
                          RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission, SexxieRacerChik, Mar-19-04 02:59 PM, #10

bulloxMar-18-04 07:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6702 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2474, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 0

peruse these links for a little while, lots of info.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=61073&mesg_id=61073&listing_type=search

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=39155&mesg_id=39155&listing_type=search

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=37979&mesg_id=37979&listing_type=search

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=37270&mesg_id=37270&listing_type=search

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=44193&mesg_id=44193&listing_type=search

I'm only positive about one guy that has that setup here, Dino aka Darkone, 2GNT's head administrator. He is making a lot of power with his turbo setup(over 300whp by now probably) and the longer gears help eliminate wheelspin. I'm a complete noob about this though, so I'll leave it to the masters to come in and give their .02.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Super20GMar-19-04 02:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2475, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-19-04 03:24 AM by Super20G

You just need to get a low miles sohc neon tranny from a junk yard, use your bellhousing, a couple external parts like some mounts I believe for the shifter linkage, etc..., and your done. Just make sure your making enough power to take advantage of it.

I got a tranny from a local junkyard with 40K on it and a cracked bellhousing for 100 bucks, then my transmission guy disassembled a blown tranny I had, and used what he needed from the eclipse tranny to couple it with the neon one for $100 bucks... $200 bucks and I was done... and all I did was pull it and put it back in

edit: and yea, it will help reduce wheelspin off the line somewhat... if your built and tuned... umm its just gonna spin anyways unless you have a good set of slicks on.

5th gear is purdie darn long now after the conversion... not really of any usefulness now other than top speed runs and highway cruising...

This is not a hard conversion at all, but I just don't do transmission work other than sensors, and diff installs, and it usually costs me 40 bucks for one of those cheap plastic bearing i always break when i seal the case back up anyways, heh

and no, no machining required, just plug and play. and my gas milage is umm almost non-exhistant anyways so i couldnt tell you if it changed, my guess would be you would be getting better gas milage from the nice longer 5th for hwy driving.

extreme97ntMar-19-04 03:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1649 posts,
#2476, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 2

My gas millage went to shit with my new 2002 neon trans. Maybe it needs to be broken in? it only has 2kmiles. BTW I am @300whp

best time so far 14.3 @ 101.1mph(no traction)
fastest 2GNT with a hitch! until proven wrong...

TeamAvengerMar-19-04 05:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2453 posts,
#2480, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 0
Mar-19-04 05:23 AM by Avenger

Originally posted by SexxieRacerChik
1. When I do this will I need a rebuild kit, or if the mileage is decent on the Neon internals can I just swap it on over?

You can just swap it over as long as the donor trans is in good shape

2. I was told the Neon motor (99-00 I believe) came with a cable clutch instead of a modular...I dont think I'm going with a 99-00 I'm pretty sure the 3 I've found are 95-96, but just in case What do I do about that?

This is why you need the 2gNT trans bellhousing. It is setup for our clutch configuration.

3. I know, from what the person told me earlier (about it making my car slower)that the gear ratio is going to change from 3: 94 to 3:55. Given that information I'm under the impression this will make my top end better and my bottem end worse, is this correct? (also aware that my gas mileage is going to decrease )

If you don't have the power to move that taller gearing you will get worse gas mileage and your call will feel slower EVERYWHERE. It's not something you should do unless you are putting down around 300hp. The SOHC neons that the trans cam in originally are so freaking slow it's not even funny.

4. How hard should this be (on a scale of 1-5...1 being easy as a street walker and 5 being being hard as getting a nun out of her habit)

Nice analogy! I'd rate it a 3ish if you are just swapping bellhousings. If you're compeltely disassembling ... 5ish.

5. Will there be any machining necessary?

Shouldn't need any

6. Will I need a Neon Chilton to do this?

Nah.

7. And last but not least...if anyone who has done this before could give me a blow by blow I would So greatly appreciate it. (For the person I was talking to about this, don't think I'm not trusting what you said...I just closed the AIM box without saving it first..so now I can't remember exactly what all you told me...I'm a dork sometimes lol) Thanks in advance.

As far as I know there are a few people sporting it.
Bill Hahn
Dino Yancey
Armond Lemon (though his car is being parted out now)
Paul M.
Me (next weekend hopefully if I get my butt into gear and do it)

And maybe a few of the other high HP people.

Anyway, hope this helps. Here is a write up from Armond.
http://www.armond30.com/adp/smartquestions.html
Scroll down to "How do install Neon Gears" or something like that

-"Easy Mac"
05 Mazda RX-8 (RR8 #88)
99 Eclipse RS 398whp & 372lb-ft

SexxieRacerChikMar-19-04 07:06 AM
1105 posts,
#2481, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-19-04 07:08 AM by SexxieRacerChik

Yeah, see I'm not doing this for any type "conversion" project. I just can't find a good used transmission to put in my car around here for less then 700 bucks, and they want my old one(or they want an extra 250-300 for the core deposit) and I want it myself to rebuild later. Someone suggested that I could do this until I found a better transmission. Exactly *how* slow are we talking here? I don't mind it being *slower* for now (and by slow I mean 70ish, as long as I can get to work in it for now I'd be happy), unless by slow you mean I could get out and run to town faster on foot lol. Or do just mean it will have less torque, and won't take off (launch) very well.

I found a 2001 neon Trans and am supposed to call the guy back Monday about it. But we will see how that goes, he said he's never taken a Trans out of a car before...so I'm a little worried about what kinda shape it will be in, or what might actually be wrong with it. But he only wants $250 for it, plus s/h. I mean, I had to tell him he had to take the front wheel and suspension out to get to it.

I was run off the road and down an embankment back in October. Did no body damage at all, but as soon as I made my way back up to the top to get back on the road I knew something wasn't right. It would drive, but it was making this clicking noise. I shifted out of 1st to 2nd, no problem. When I started to shift to 3rd it was like a brick wall, no open gear, then I tried to go back to 2nd and couldn't get in any gear. If I stopped and turned the car off put it in 1st then cranked up I could go again and shift to 2nd, but once I got out of 2nd I was screwed again. Found out after I got the kit off that the pressure plate was broken. Replaced that, drove to work everything was fine, got in started home and 1/2 way there 3rd started popping out, drove a little further 5th started it (unless I was over 70mph then it would stay). Everyone told me it would be fine as long as I held it and it didn't grind so I drove it the next day. Was fine, except the popping out thing, until I started to come home. I cranked up let out on the clutch and it made this horrid scraping/grinding noise until I got into 2nd then it stopped. I just said screw it and stopped driving it and started looking for a transmission.
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/4ca11fd9/bc/53e6/__sr_/b76c.jpg?phlpzWABgceVr75p <-pic of gap in pressure plate

It sucks...why are manual Trans SO hard to find for these cars lol?

~Jennie~

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-19-04 07:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2482, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 5

Try looking for a manual trand from a 95-99 4 cylinder Avenger or Sebring. Same powertrain, same trans.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Super20GMar-19-04 09:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2483, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 6
Mar-19-04 09:30 AM by Super20G

The neon's that we got the SOHC tranny's from.. umm.. they make a DOHC also, right? same thing, same gears as ours right, diff bellhosuing is all right? or did i get my shit mixed up and am thinking of the venger trans? cause i think that would be cheaper than one for an "eclipse"

SexxieRacerChikMar-19-04 10:49 AM
1105 posts,
#2484, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 7
Mar-19-04 11:33 AM by SexxieRacerChik

Yea, I've tried looking for a trans out of a:
Mitsubishi Eclipse: Non-Turbo, includes Spyder 2.0L (1995-1999)
Eagle Talon: : Non-Turbo 2.0L (1995-1999)
Dodge Stratus: 2.0L/2.4L (1995-2000)
Dodge Avenger: 2.0L (1995-2000)
Chrysler Sebring: ALL (1994-2000)
(all of these cars are what my clutch kit lists as fitting)
and now am trying to look for the Neon trannies.

All of the Chrysler yards are just so freakin proud of their shit, it's unreal. And all the non-Chrysler yards only have automatics. :o\ Not to mention 98% of them are loaded with miles..and I just won't pay $650 for a trans with 80-90k on it, and give them my core to boot..hell no lol.

Oh well...back to looking I guess. Thanks for the link shtough I'm reading them now.

*edit*
ok I just took a look at this Neon transaxle cross reference, on that link in a thread.
I notice that the 95-99 ACR DOHC, the 98-99 r/t, and the 96-99 nonACR and R/t have final drives of 4. That's the same as ours right?

So how do I know what I am looking at, or how do I ask people about these type transmission's. I know the R/T is the model neon, but what is a ACR???

Damn this is getting irritating. Ok,I looked up our gear ratio' and compared them to a 95-99 sohc-base, a DOHC (non_ACR and RT)and a 00 (after Feb 00?)sohc.
......Ours.........Neon
1st...3.54.........same
2nd...2.13.........same
3rd...1.36.........same
4th...1.03.........same
5th...0.81.........0.72

So ok, if I find one that comes with the .72 5th gear can I just replace that gear? Can you do that? I mean I cna't use mine can I because the syncrode is stripped? But can I buy JUST a 5th gear???
And why would a .72 gear (as opposed to .81) make such a big difference in slowing the car down?

My head hurts.

~Jennie~

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-19-04 11:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#2485, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 8

it's the final drive ratio you needd to look at. 3.55 vs 3.94. that makes all the gears taller overall.

and it's "Syncro" or "synchronizer". That's driving me nuts.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

SexxieRacerChikMar-19-04 02:59 PM
1105 posts,
#2486, "RE: Using a 95-00 Neon 3:55 transmission"
In response to Reply # 9

Sorry, that's what people keep *saying* to me when I tell them about this, maybe they are pronouncing it wrong.

~Jennie~

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #2473 Previous topic | Next topic