Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #214
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help, I think my clutch might be dying..." Previous topic | Next topic
MajinVejitaXVMar-19-03 04:32 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#214, "Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."

My car's been a little rough lately, and I'm thinking after having read some things that it might be my clutch. Is there any way of being sure about this?

Also, how much does a clutch install usually cost on our cars? Or is it something I could probably do myself if I set aside a day?

Thanks,
Corey

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., ClipseRST, Mar-19-03 05:50 AM, #1
RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., MajinVejitaXV, Mar-19-03 06:07 AM, #2
      RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., invaznGST, Mar-19-03 06:45 AM, #3
           RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., TeamStan2gnt, Mar-19-03 12:25 PM, #4
RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., susk, Mar-20-03 10:58 AM, #5
RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., Synthplaya, Mar-22-03 06:30 AM, #6
RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..., TeamStan2gnt, Mar-23-03 03:21 AM, #7

ClipseRSTMar-19-03 05:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
325 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#215, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 0

You would have to explain to us what its actually doing, not that its just running rough. With more information, people here might have ran into the problem before and be able to address it. Ive ruined two clutches before, and each time there were different warning signs. So just give us more info on what its actually doing because theres a lot that it could be doing. Also about changing it and cost. If you do it yourself which isnt too hard it would cost you a ton less. That way you can actually spend more on the clutch for a nice one. I dont know if you could really pull it off in a day or not... I could. But like I said I've done it twice... You would be able too if you knew what you were doing and researched it before trying.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MajinVejitaXVMar-19-03 06:07 AM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#216, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, sorry about the vagueness.

When I go to shift gears, I find that the transition isn't as smooth, and sometimes I even have to force the gear in (no grinding, but there's a definate resistance factor coming into play). Also, for lack of a better way to describe it, launching doesn't feel as smooth as it did before.

Maybe it's just the weather, and maybe I'm just paranoid, but either way it might be better to be safe than sorry.

One other question, if I *did* switch the clutch, would you recommend just getting a stocker for now? I plan on doing power upgrades later on that will probably require a better clutch, but the main thing (stage 3 turbo) won't be for another year or two probably...

Thanks,
Corey

invaznGSTMar-19-03 06:45 AM
Member since Jul 22nd 2002
3897 posts,
#218, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 2

yeah i have kindda the same question.. IF my clutch is going..it was replaced like 20k miles ago or so.. i think it's just an OEM clutch from mitsubishi.. but if i were to get a new clutch..like an ACT2100 or ACT2600 clutch..would i be able to do it myself..i've never worked on suspension in my car..most of my mods are just easy bolt ons and mainly i just work with electrical stuff like wiring up gauges and turbo timers and stuff.. or should i take my clutch to get it professionally installed..do any shops do this or would i have to go to a performance shop? Would you guys recommend a high performance clutch or a stock OEM clutch.. right now i'm running about 15-16 pounds of boost on my GST. oh yeah..sorry for hijacking your post.. but yeah what are your symptons of dying clutches cause i wanna know that too.

Mark

'95 Eclipse GST - gone
'00 Jetta GLS

TeamStan2gntMar-19-03 12:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#225, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 3

>yeah i have kindda the same question.. IF my clutch is
>going..it was replaced like 20k miles ago or so.. i think it's
>just an OEM clutch from mitsubishi..

From a person who's had 5 tranny's and even more clutches usually ruff shifting,difficulty engaging gears is usually paranioa or the tranny itself. But you have a 4G63, Im speaking Venture/420A tranny.

but if i were to get a
>new clutch..like an ACT2100 or ACT2600 clutch..would i be able
>to do it myself..i've never worked on suspension in my
>car..most of my mods are just easy bolt ons and mainly i just
>work with electrical stuff like wiring up gauges and turbo
>timers and stuff..

If you havent pulled a tranny or helped somebody pull a tranny please dont try and do it yourself unless you are doing it with somebody who's done it (which is how you learn to do it, not self learning). Suspension,turbo's and bolt ons are nothing compared to dropping a tranny. Not that its complex but without a lift and a serious tool collection it might be a bitch. A clutch job is only about $200-300 labor. If your getting had it might cost $400-450max. I never paid more than $250.

do any shops do this or would i have
>to go to a performance shop?

Some performance shops may do it cheap if you buy the clutch from them but otherwise you might be better off and done quicker going to a transmission shop. If they actually work on it from morning by 2pm they will be finished easily

Would you guys recommend a high
>performance clutch or a stock OEM clutch.. right now i'm
>running about 15-16 pounds of boost on my GST. oh yeah..sorry
>for hijacking your post.. but yeah what are your symptons of
>dying clutches cause i wanna know that too.

you should but in a clutch now that will hold all you plan to throw at it in the future. That why I have this in mine:

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

suskMar-20-03 10:58 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
94 posts,
#234, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 0

if it is just hard shifting nothing else then it is your hydraulic system.. instead of replacing your clutch check your clutch slave and master cylinder for leakage.. that will definitely cause rough shifting...

SynthplayaMar-22-03 06:30 AM
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
265 posts,
#239, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 5

Just bought a 95 GST. It needs a new clutch bad. The guy told me about it before, but it was no big deal. But when I am at a stop, and start going it accelerates sooooo damn slo, cus its like im in neutral, it isnt catchin worth shit. Then once I do get up to speed and want to punch the gass, it aint doin SHIT, its almost like its in neutral RPMS just go up. But I am stock right now and thinkin about gettin the 2100 ACT clutch. Not sure yet. I called around and $390 is the cheapest I have found on the install. thanks

TeamStan2gntMar-23-03 03:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#244, "RE: Help, I think my clutch might be dying..."
In response to Reply # 5

>if it is just hard shifting nothing else then it is your
>hydraulic system.. instead of replacing your clutch check your
>clutch slave and master cylinder for leakage.. that will
>definitely cause rough shifting...

thats very true and common on 2GNTs, I dont think 4G63 experiece that problem quite so often like we do.

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #214 Previous topic | Next topic