Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1252
View in linear mode

Subject: "venturing into the New Venture (need help, pics)" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Aug-19-03 05:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1252, "venturing into the New Venture (need help, pics)"

attempt at LSD/clutch installation #2.

bill and i started working around 9:45 last night. we attempted to seal the extra transmission up that i will be using in my car.

we got the LSD done.

then we had some issues. the output shaft bearing was giving us attitude. it wouldn't stay in it's race. also, it kept falling apart. bill said "armond said that when the output shaft bearing falls apart it can't be used anymore." i was like "crap. now i have to get a new one from the stealership."

also, we couldn't exactly remember which way the thing went. we kept getting scared that it was upside-down or something. is this the right way?

we got stumped with a bunch of things and bill was like "let's call dino, he's been inside the NV-T350 a whole bunch of times" but he didn't pick up.

also, we had SUCH problems even beginning to get the case halves back together. OMG it's so impossible. we tried some tricks like using hack-saw blades which worked to an extent, but soon the transmission was soooo close to being closed that there wasn't enough light in there to be able to poke around with the hack saw blade. it was about 3mm from being fully closed, but it wouldn't quite get there. WTF? how do they close this thing at the factory? do they pay some minimum wage guy to fool with it for 3-4 hours and hope that he gets everything lined up? lol...

help...

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mkerleyAug-19-03 08:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1254, "RE: venturing into the New Venture (need help, pics)"
In response to Reply # 0

just carefully lower the bellhousing down. Make sure you get the race into the right slot w/o putting too much pressure on it. once that's in, just look inside and see what catches until you get it almost closed (like you said you had it). Then, all I had to do was wiggle the shift levers slightly and the case popped closed. Those last few shafts taht have to pop in will all move if you wiggle the shift levers. One of them moves a shaft up and down along its axis. The other moves several of the shafts around just a little (move that one).

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Matt_95tgsAug-19-03 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#1257, "RE: venturing into the New Venture (need help, pics)"
In response to Reply # 1

I just used some super thick tranny assembly lube to hold the output shaft bearing in the race on the bellhousing. The tranny stuff I got was blue and thicker than grease. Just pack the entire race with it and shove the bearing in and it will stay put for days that way. Then drop the bellhousing down onto the tranny and align it the best you can. While one person is aligning and pushing the bellhousing on, the other needs to be wiggling the shift linkages so that the forks all slide into place. It helps to put some assembly lube on the holes where the shift forks enter the bellhousing as well. Doing it this way, I had my tranny back together in under 5 minutes.

I am not sure about reusing the bearing though after it comes apart.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

TeamXtremeRSAug-19-03 02:38 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1259, "RE: venturing into the New Venture (need help, pics)"
In response to Reply # 2

Yep, i packed my bearing with greese and it held in the bellhousing great. Those 3 or 4 shifter rods in the trans is what is holding you up. They dont line up perfectly when putting the bellhousing back on. All i did was get a flatblade screwdriver, and push each rod into place inside the races in the bellhousing. Then it slid right together. This took me all of like 5 minutes or so. For the output bearing, i believe the smaller diameter side of it, goes into the bellhousing side. Someone may want to verify this though, but i'm pretty sure thats it.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1252 Previous topic | Next topic