Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1241
View in linear mode

Subject: "Non-modular, I guess I need a 95 Neon flywheel?" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipseRSTAug-18-03 12:33 PM
Member since Apr 17th 2002
5394 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1241, "Non-modular, I guess I need a 95 Neon flywheel?"

I was told this is the flywheel that will bolt directly to our cars for a non-modular setup. I already have a stage 3 from gottude designs and wanted to know if all I'd need is the flywheel off a 95 Neon and the bolts that come with it?

HAVE: '04 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamXtremeRSAug-18-03 01:24 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1244, "RE: Non-modular, I guess I need a 95 Neon flywheel?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, you can get the 95 Neon flywheel, or if you want a lightweight flywheel, you can get one made by Fidanza. They make a flywheel that has NO starter teeth on it, so you can retain the flexplate, and make trans install/removal MUCH easier, rather than going with true non modular flywheel setup like the 95 Neon. The 95 flywheel has the starter teeth on it, so you dont use the flexplate. The downfall to this is that you have to bolt up the clutch to the motor first, and getting the trans up on the motor is difficult like this. Normally, with modular setup, or the flywheel i mentioned above, you cna put the trans on the motor, then bolt up the clutch to the flexplate. One more option- find a used modular stock clutch, or use your old one, drill out the rivits holding it together, and have the flywheel resurfaced. Then just bolt that sucker onto your new clutch kit, and bam, you still retain using the flexplate, and still have a hybrid modular/non modular clutch, with ease of install.

I use this setup personally. I took a stock modualar clutch, drilled out the rivits holding it together, had a custom made clutch disk, then had the two plates resurfaced. Then used normal metric bolts to hold it together. Works great.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

EclipseRSTAug-18-03 05:24 PM
5394 posts,
#1248, "RE: Non-modular, I guess I need a 95 Neon flywheel?"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-18-03 05:30 PM by EclipseRST

Once again you've been more than helpful

So the 95 Neon flywheel has the same motor and drivetrain as our cars? Why just the 95? And it uses the same exact bolts and everything to fit right up to my car? I've been through hell and back with this clutch install and right now my car has been out of commission sitting behind this shop just waiting to be vandalized and I can't afford to prolong this. I just ordered a 1995 Neon flywheel with whatever bolts that mount it from the Chrysler dealership. Hopefully this works...

BTW - I actually suggested your setup to the guy working on my car and he was uneasy with drilling out the rivets and didn't want to risk it If he would've just done it then I would've had my car 8 days ago...

EclipseRSTAug-21-03 10:54 AM
5394 posts,
#1274, "RE: Non-modular, I guess I need a 95 Neon flywheel?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey XtremRS, would it work if I used the performance clutch I bought from Gottude, and used your setup? I noticed you said you have custom disks made so I was wondering if that was just an option or if I could use the clutch I bought with the flywheel in my car now.

TeamXtremeRSAug-21-03 12:33 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#1275, "RE: Non-modular, I guess I need a 95 Neon flywheel?"
In response to Reply # 3
Aug-21-03 12:39 PM by XtremeRS

Yeah that will be fine. You will have to actually get a flywheel to bolt up to your pressure plate, which means you need to drill out the rivits on a modular clutch, to take it apart. Then have the flywheel resurfaced, then just bolt it together like you normally would if you had the 95 Neon flywheel. You MUST put the head of the bolt on the back of the flywheel, and so the nut is going to be on the pressure plate side. You wont be able to put the clutch assembly onto the flexplate if you do not do it like this, becasue the bolts will hit the flexplate. There is *just* enough clearance from the head of the bolt, to the flexplate though...Once you have your clutch assembled, test fit it to the flexplate just to verify that it sits nice and flat, and doesnt wobble or anything.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1241 Previous topic | Next topic