Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1011
View in linear mode

Subject: "Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)" Previous topic | Next topic
tonyredshoesJul-20-03 07:44 PM
Member since Jul 16th 2003
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1011, "Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
Jul-20-03 07:44 PM by tonyredshoes

This has only happened twice, but I'm still a little concerned. When I put my car in third gear, twice on the way home it popped out by itself to neutral. Based on some of the other people's questions I figure maybe the dogteeth are worn on the gear.

Also, there seems to be something in the middle of 5th and reverse. I can get in reverse, I just can't go straight down from 5th. Could this possibly be a loose cable or like a bushing?

These are the best guessess I can come up with on my own. If anyone would like to add their valuable yes that's your problem / no your stupid I'd appreciate it.

98 Eclipse GS
"The only good thing about movies like 'The Fast and the Furious' and its many imitators and sequels is that they surely contribute to a number of idiots becoming highway fatality statistics." -Somethingawful.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), tonyredshoes, Jul-21-03 10:49 AM, #1
RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), Jason_99ozGS, Jul-21-03 05:28 PM, #2
      RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), tonyredshoes, Jul-21-03 06:09 PM, #3
           RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), Blmet, Jul-22-03 11:49 AM, #4
                RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), YourInMyMirror95GS, Jul-22-03 10:11 PM, #5
                     RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), Blmet, Jul-22-03 10:41 PM, #6
                          RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), tonyredshoes, Jul-23-03 03:39 AM, #7
                          RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral), YourInMyMirror95GS, Jul-24-03 08:46 PM, #8

tonyredshoesJul-21-03 10:49 AM
67 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1012, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 0

Fith pops out too, I think this is real bad. Gonna have it looked at tommorrow.

98 Eclipse GS
"The only good thing about movies like 'The Fast and the Furious' and its many imitators and sequels is that they surely contribute to a number of idiots becoming highway fatality statistics." -Somethingawful.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Jason_99ozGSJul-21-03 05:28 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1286 posts,
#1013, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 1
Jul-21-03 05:40 PM by Jason_99ozGS

Hopefully the shift linkage just needs to be adjusted... I would check that out first.

But it could be any of this...

-Worn or improperly adjusted linkage
-Transaxle loose on engine
-Shift linkage does not work freely, binds
-Input gear bearing retainer broken or loose
-Dirt between clutch cover and engine housing
-Worn shift fork

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS -Sold, I miss it

tonyredshoesJul-21-03 06:09 PM
67 posts,
#1014, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 2

Lolz Jason I'm taking it to a tranny place and get a diagnostic for 50 bucks. Then maybe we can do the repairs.

98 Eclipse GS

BlmetJul-22-03 11:49 AM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
#1018, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 3

They shifter is made so you CAN'T go from fifth straight to reverse. You have to go back to neutral first. It is to prevent accidental engagement of reverse at highway speeds. So that is not a problem.

YourInMyMirror95GSJul-22-03 10:11 PM
Member since May 30th 2003
3752 posts,
#1019, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 4

>They shifter is made so you CAN'T go from fifth straight to
>reverse. You have to go back to neutral first. It is to
>prevent accidental engagement of reverse at highway speeds.
>So that is not a problem.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!! "it's not a problem" you dumbfuck. nobody wants to be going down the road at high rpms and have yourself going out of gear and blowing your engine because you were too much of a dumbass to get your transmission fixe ..........back to what i SHOULD have been replying to. check your syncros man. that's what is happening to my friend. it's the syncros for him.

You've Just Been YourInMyMirrOWNED!
CrazyEclipse: Personally I cant do it or at least I dont believe I can. And YA I do play with it...... sometimes...... I'm not bashful, and I think I am the first girl on 2gnt that has admit to it.

DINO: Frankly, life really is great, everyone should be dancing, this really is fun and no, my anus is not bleeding. YAY!

BlmetJul-22-03 10:41 PM
Member since Jan 26th 2002
328 posts,
#1020, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-22-03 10:55 PM by Blmet

In his original post he stated: "Also, there seems to be something in the middle of 5th and reverse. I can get in reverse, I just can't go straight down from 5th. Could this possibly be a loose cable or like a bushing?"
My response was for that question. As a tranny popping out of third or fifth gear is OBVIOUSLY a problem. Read everything before you go around insulting people. And syncros have nothing to do with popping out of gear if you are already in gear. Bad syncros would make it unable to get into gear without severe grinding unless you match rpm perfectly, but he said nothing about grinding.

tonyredshoes: If your tranny just started to pop out of both third and fifth gear recently then it is likely to be your linkage. Shifting into third or fifth gear pulls the same connector back. If this is the case first gear might start popping out soon too as it uses that connector also. I very much doubt the dogteeth on both third and fifth gear went bad in this small on a time frame.

tonyredshoesJul-23-03 03:39 AM
67 posts,
#1022, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-23-03 03:41 AM by tonyredshoes

Lol that was a good flame. I never noticed that before on my previous vehicle (93 ranger) because I don't have a tach and I always use 4th gear since I don't have a 5th gear on it. Actually, turns out there's NO tranny fluid in it at all. There's no leaks either, it's like someone forgot to fill it. Anyways, got some tranny fluid in and no more popping outta gears and the stick operates a lot better.

I feel stupid for not checking that sooner.

98 Eclipse GS

YourInMyMirror95GSJul-24-03 08:46 PM
Member since May 30th 2003
3752 posts,
#1042, "RE: Going out of gear (3rd to neutral)"
In response to Reply # 6

>In his original post he stated: "Also, there seems to be
>something in the middle of 5th and reverse. I can get in
>reverse, I just can't go straight down from 5th. Could this
>possibly be a loose cable or like a bushing?"

LOL!! oops didn't read that part. my bad. sorr

You've Just Been YourInMyMirrOWNED!
CrazyEclipse: Personally I cant do it or at least I dont believe I can. And YA I do play with it...... sometimes...... I'm not bashful, and I think I am the first girl on 2gnt that has admit to it.

DINO: Frankly, life really is great, everyone should be dancing, this really is fun and no, my anus is not bleeding. YAY!

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Manual Trans - NV-T350 topic #1011 Previous topic | Next topic